Frenchie' s Oz big trip

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:43
ThreadID: 24923 Views:2232 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

In six days, we will cross the oceans from France to Darwin for our big Oz trip 2005 (Darwin, Kunnunura, GRR, Beagle Bay, Coral Bay, GCR, Yulara, Alice, bit of Tanami, Kakadu, Darwin (with maybe some shortcuts if we might feel bored with driving (espescially Cathy).

So, if you might see a Troopy with an Exploroz sticker on the wind screen and an Exploroz wheel cover at the other end of the car (maybe driving on the wrong side), maybe it' s us !!

Cheers.

Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:58

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:58
All the best for your trip... You wont believe how big this place is compared to France...
AnswerID: 121402

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:01

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:01
Have a great trip Eric and Cathy and hope you have a great experience with some members along the way. Hey, if I can keep to the right side of the road in France, you should be able to in Oz. That way you won't be troubled by road trains too much.

Have a great one mate...
AnswerID: 121403

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:07

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:07
Have a good trip.
We havn't done that bit yet, so I am a bit envious.

If my memories of driving in France are right, it was the roundabouts that undid me in the first few days. Scared myself once by still going clockwise. Luckily no one was coming the other way at the time! Trust you will have better luck.
And just think of the ship Beagle (of Darwin fame) that mapped alot of that coast and added detail to King's original survey. They did it when there was only Perth and Sydney to rely on prior to finishing in 1839. Fitzroy river was named after the previous captain who commanded her for the Sth American surevey voyage, by John Lord Stokes, the captain on that trip.
AnswerID: 121404

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:00

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:00
Eric

Hope you have a wonderful trip through the vast outback of this country.
AnswerID: 121424

Reply By: kat - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 16:10

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 16:10
HI Eric and Cathy!
You lucky things exploring the north west at a perfect time of the year.
I have just come back from a trip to Exmouth(near coral bay) in a 2 wheel and am hanging out to get my 4x4 to do the trip again!!
If time permits go into Emouth..particualy the Shot Hole Canyons(about 15km before town) they are just magnificiant!! Also Yardie Creek (bout 90 km out of town) is just so stunnng this time of year.
My mum now lives up in Exmouth and reckons its the best place in the world.After my visit I tend to agree with her!
Well enjoy your stay and drive safe!!
CHEERS
katrina
P.S. watch out for the kangaroos on the Minilliya to Exmouth road they are BIG buggers! There from around 5.30pm to 7.30am!
AnswerID: 121458

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:04

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:04
kat, where's the best place to camp up there? I've heard Coral Bay gets overcrowded and the same person recommended Lighthouse (Beach??) campsite/cara park. Just one opinion, so I'm looking for a bit more info. Sea kayaking (or river/estuary) is the great passion and it would be nice to camp by the beach and not have to re-load the kayaks onto the car roof after every paddle. But if the beach camping isn't worth it..........?? Anybody stayed at Lighthouse?
FollowupID: 376607

Follow Up By: kat - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:30

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:30
Steve,
The light house is the best place (in my opinion ) to stay at in Exmouth.When we went up there in June we stayed at the Sea Breeze Resort.. supposably a 3.5 star place...Well I would only rate it at .5 of a star and thats being generous!!!Biggest waste of my money ever.The l/h was fully booked so thins was our other option.
The lighthouse is very popular with campers as it is just out of town and pretty much oppposite the beach.It isnt too far from the national park either..which of course you can stay(the nat park that is) in as well but get in early in the day coz they limit the number at each campsite and is very popular.If you have kids just double check if you want to stay anywhere else coz a couple of places(the ningaloo lodge being one) do not allow kids there!! (outragous I know..ive got 2 kids!!)
The lighthouse c/p also has the cheapest fuel(according to the locals)
I hope this helps!!
Oooh one last bit of advice..if you ever wonder where the WA flies and blowies go for holidays its MINILLIYA! I have never in my whole entire life(28yrs of it) seen so many flies!! SO be warned when you stop there escape your car as quick as possible coz the little buggers get in and you wil be flciking them out all the way to Exmouth(300+km!!)
OOOOh and another thing if kayaking is your thing go to turquoise bay(on the Yardie Creek road in the national park) it is BLOODY beautiful..think Fiji waters its just breathtaking.Right on the Ningaloo reef.Amazing..my kids loved it.(and my hubby loved the view of the backpackers sunbathing!!LOL)
Well thats all I think!!LOL
CHEERS
katrina
FollowupID: 376616

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:21

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:21
cheers kat. Any thoughts on Coral Bay? Too chocker and maybe best left for a couple of day trips?? and base camp at Exmouth?
FollowupID: 376628

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:11

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:11
Just avoid the school holidays, stay at coral bay and do day trips to exmouth. At least it is on the beach and you dont need to get in your vehicle often. Exmouth is plonked on the east side of the ranges so it misses the cooling sea breeze, a mile from any beach, most of the accomodation is a drive to get to a shop, beach or anything and people from exmouth generally hate coral bay and will use any opportunity to run it down (lived there for 5 years) The classic was the tourist bureau telling tourists not to go there as raw sewage runs straight into the bay!
FollowupID: 376687

Follow Up By: kat - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:55

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:55
fisho64
I think that Exmouth/Coral Bay debate is like a patrol/landcruiser debate.It is all up to personal choice.
i have never been to Coral Bay and it was my first time in Exmouth(mum has been up there for 7 years now) so I am just offering my own opinion.
Perhaps Steve start a new post Exmouth or Coral Bay.That way you will get heaps of members opinions who have experienced both places.
Just a suggestion
CHEERS
katrina
FollowupID: 376781

Follow Up By: Member - Eric P (Int) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:04

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:04
Hi, Kat,

Thanks for the advice. Actually, we will stay at Coral Bay for some days (I already booked a hotel - one has to have a shower from time to time), but we will certainly have a trip to Exmouth.

Cheers.

Eric
FollowupID: 377007

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:26

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:26
thanks kat & fish. I will do as you suggest nearer the time kat. It'll be 2007 b4 we go as we're on the east coast. Just thought I'd jump in whilst there was mention of it. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 121628

Sponsored Links