Outback vandals

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 17:46
ThreadID: 24936 Views:2591 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Couple of weeks ago I was filming the view from the top of Mt Everard on the Gunbarrel Highway. A couple of eighties came into view heading north and when they made the turn west I climbed down to return to the car where my wife was preparing lunch. As I made my way round the base of the cliff one of the Toyotas climbed up Mt Everard almost to the bottom of the cliff face, stopping only when it lost its momentum and dug four neat holes into the unstable clay surface. The vehicle then reversed down the hill and, at this point, I appeared at the cliff base. Of course I went over to the newly excavated wheel holes and inspected them. I gotta admit I was stunned at this act of stupidity/vandalism and shook my head in disgust. The vandals then,presumably through sheer embarassment, then disappeared post haste! A slience permeated the air surrounding Mt Everard, not to mention channel 35 on which our intrepid heros had been talking absolute garbage all morning as they had slowly caught up with us. After a suitable time gap, around five minutes, Batman and Robin then worked up the courage to mention my appearance on Mt Everard. The conversation went exactly like this;

"Hey Frank, did you think that was an Indiginous at first?"

"Yeah, didn't look very impressed did he?"

"Stuff 'im, got nothin' to do with him anyway!"

"Yeah got nothin' to do with him eh!"

Well FRANK and WALLY from Coffs Harbour, yeah, you two mental giants who were on your way to Canarvon in W.A., It IS my business, and I OBJECT to your random act of stupidity. You can relax knowing that your names and addresses are preserved for evermore in the visitors book at Everard Junction on June 25 2005 so the rest of humanity can now see proof that not only were you two STUPID enough to disgrace the 4X4 community but BRAIN DEAD enough to record your names for the rest of us to despise for all eternity!
I did my best to fill in the four holes you dug into the unstable surface of Mt Everard, but I am well aware that the rain that fell in the area a few days after we left the area would have washed out my efforts and and started to erode the firmer surface further down the hill.

Well done! If the world had a couple more like you none of us will be allowed anywhere near the Central or Western Deserts eventually. Yeah boys, the Coffs Harbour community is proud of you, the 4x4 community is proud of you and I can only recount my dear departed father's favourite saying;
"Give an idiot a chance to prove he's an idiot, and he will never dissapoint you!"

Cracka
Quebec 4104
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 17:51

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 17:51
I'd say..... they've been sprung!!!!

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 121472

Reply By: G-wizz - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 18:01

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 18:01
........ and that's why access to more and more areas is being denied, nothing to do with who owns it.
AnswerID: 121474

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 18:48

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 18:48
The fact that they noticed you looking unimpressed and mentioned it woud suggggest they felt a bit sheepish so dont feel you achieved nothing despite the show of bravado it sounds very much likr they had a wakeup call - we all need one now and again
AnswerID: 121482

Reply By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:05

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:05
Thank you for both the post and trying to fill the holes.

I would have preferred it had you posted their full names and addresses (or at least whichever details you have) descriptions of their vehicles and registration numbers, it's really necessary to make these wankers stand out as much as possible. And I would have enjoyed phoning them and asking what they thought they were doing.

You could always post those fuller details to the aus.cars.offroad newsgroup if you choose. No one censors the newsgroups and I'm sure the people on there would like to hear about these two playful little bunnies as well.

You can access the aus.cars.offroad newsgroup through Google:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.cars.offroad
It's not the best of interfaces, but it works. If you wish you could set up a Hotmail account and post via that.

Good post.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 121486

Follow Up By: Cracka - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:40

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:40
Gidday Mike,
Ol' mate, I don't really need to do that as the visitors book at Everard Corner contains the relevant details. Y'see Frank and Wally the eighty series drivers from Coffs Harbour will now be found out as there are alot of good folks from that lovely town are really into 4x4s and exploring OZ. Even if they don't visit this site I'll guarantee within a few days the post WILL be brought to their attention and some regret will start to form in their tiny brains. What I'm trying to achieve is behavior modification, not a humilitation. We all have things in our past that given the chance we'd modify or delete, so if either realise that they have reason to regret their action then they may not repeat the act. If so, I won't regret the post.
Cheers
Cracka
Quebec 4104
FollowupID: 376634

Reply By: gramps - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:13

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:13
FRANKly WALLY is well named. The WANKER brothers.

Idiots like these two should be exposed to all and sundry and reported to the relevant authorities at every opportunity.
AnswerID: 121487

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:26

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:26
I mean the obvious damage and bad attitudes are embarassing enough, but using channel 35 (the input channel for all emergancy repeaters nation wide) is gob smackingly stupid...
AnswerID: 121489

Follow Up By: Cracka - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:00

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:00
Gidday Jeff,
My wife and I discussed that very fact for a while before we even got to Mt Everard. Batman was telling Robin all about how the surveyer "Canning" put steel plaques all over the Gunbarrel. Every survey benchmark they went past was another of "Canning's" survey "things". The drivel went on for hours. I am of the opinion that if I don't know, I shut up, pity Batman didn't subscribe to the same theory. A little research before a trip of the magnitude they had embarked upon would have made the whole expedition more enjoyable for both our "Dynamic Duo." Still, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!"
Cheers
Cracka
Quebec 4104
FollowupID: 376642

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:39

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:39
LUV IT!....LUV IT!....LUV IT!

I'll bet the dorks will be laying real low.
But the 4WD community now know of FRANK and WALLY from COFFS HARBOUR and their inability to understand and carry out basic 4WD techniques and Bushcraft.

And someone else from Coffs Harbour will read this post and the word will spread.

Good on Ya Cracka!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121494

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:58

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:58
one things for sure, it sure is satisfying to feel superiour!!
AnswerID: 121543

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:04

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:04
not having a go at you, but is it really worth getting that worked up about some wheel ruts? I have never been to the location you mention, so I wont pretend know the terrain or conditions.
I can understand the problem with them using chan 35, but you never mentioned you said anything about it to them to teach them- instead observe them and publicly pick on their faults, but offer no instruction or advice for remedy. I gotta say I get p!ssed off no end when people do that to me, and when you only hear about someone having a disagreement with your actions well after they have made their complaints to numerous third parties and no one actually bothers to say anything to you.
AnswerID: 121609

Follow Up By: Cracka - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:43

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:43
Sounds fair enough Ben, in most cases I'd agree with you. The point is I had two options,
I could have taken your advice and calmly wandered down the hill and offered the benifit of my wisdom, and been told to G%t* F%$*%D! or
Do what I did.
Look mate, I'm on holiday with my wife, I'm not looking to get into a wrestling match. I've been around a long time mate and if there is one thing I've learned it's that unsolicited advice is rarely taken.

As explained further up the page these two blokes WILL read what I've written, and the required changes in their behavior has a good chance of happening at a future time. We all change our viewpoints as we get older and wiser. OH and no offence taken Ben. You raised a point that deserved to be raised.
Cheers
Cracka
Quebec 4104
FollowupID: 376791

Sponsored Links