Dundubara campground

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 19:47
ThreadID: 24944 Views:7770 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at camping on Fraser at Dundubara, want to book a site but there seems to be a campground and a caravan campground, from what i've heard there were no setout sites at Dundubara. Does anyone know the difference between the campground and the caravan campground and what would be more suitable for a camper?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:06

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:06
Hi Brett:

I am a frequent visitor to Dundubara and you are correct. You cannot reserve a specific site. I usually get onto site 31, which is set back a bit to the rear of the camp area, but it has a ledge/wall (about 12" high). Might be a bit hard getting a camper over it unless you can build a ramp or something to get over that (which I did with sand just to get my 80 series up there. I dismantled it when I left.).

I think the best caravan sites might be around the back.. Once you drive in, travel around the circle until you have almost done a complete loop and there are a few sites on the left that may be suitable. Might be good to get there mid morning if tides permit as most of the backpackers have packed up and gone by then, leaving plenty of sites for you to choose from.

As far as I have observed there is not a separatae ground for campers and caravans - it is all in together.

Enjoy your stay. terrific place.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 121502

Follow Up By: brett - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:27

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:27
Not sure if things have changed or not but trying to make a booking via the qld government webpage it actually says no sites available for the first day I want under the caravan campground section, but under the campground section it says available, so I'm thinking they may have specific spots for caravans which you can book.
So what are the rest of the spots like I need about 10m in length to fit all the camper in? Also heard the backpackers are taking over and can be a bit rowdy, is this true?
FollowupID: 376630

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:36

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:36
Hi Brett:

Unless it is completely booked out I can't see why there is nothing available on your first day. Might need to make a call to clarify what that is all about.

10m won't be a problem. Just take up two spaces. Nobody is all that concerned about your space.

The backpackers were a problem when I was there about 6 weeks ago. It almost came to blows one night, and the rangers were totally useless.

I would take a look at Frasers, which is a little south of Dundubara. It is a private campground, seems to have all the facilities you require, and although it may be slightly more expensive may be more peaceful. I will be looking at staying there next trip in lieu of Dundubara, because of the backpackers.

Here is the link. I think they are a part of the Big4 group, which may entitle you to a discount if you are a member.

Hope this helps.

Jack

FollowupID: 376632

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:45

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 20:45
Spent a few nights there two weeks ago. Backpackers were no trouble. Rangers were right onto anyone making more than a whisper after 9pm.
FollowupID: 376635

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:08

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 21:08
Was that at Dundubara, Andrew?

We (mate and I) had quite a few dramas with drunk backpackers wandering through our campsite very late that almost came to blows. One group thought we had "chased" them earlier and were about to cut our tent up. The sight of a large tyre lever in the moonlight seemed to curb their enthusiasm.

When the ranger came around the next day to see if we wanted to complain about the noise he got plenty from us. Maybe they have come out from their comfortable shed down the back and decided to do what rangers are supposed to do.

If they (the rangers) have decided to keep an eye on things this is a good development, as I love staying at Dundubara when I go there. I thing when they shut down Indian Head to campers a while back the backpackers moved to dundubara.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jack

FollowupID: 376644

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:06

Thursday, Jul 21, 2005 at 22:06
Yep - at Dundaburra. Rangers made it clear no noise would be tolerated. Fairly busy in the campground, but it was quiet. The backpackers are told it's better to camp a couple of km's north of Dundaburra and to come in only to use the facilities.

Maybe we were lucky, only takes one group not playing by the rules to muck it up for everyone else.
FollowupID: 376662

Reply By: steve21 - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:53

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:53
i just got back yesterday, camped at central station, backpackers screaming top of voice at 11pm, thank god it rained so they went to bed. very tempted to comando style in and knife all there tyres!!! thats how bad it was.
AnswerID: 121714

Sponsored Links