Pajero overdrive problem

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 00:34
ThreadID: 24951 Views:6192 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have a 1988 Pajero Auto Wagon. When in overdrive on highway, engine sometimes changes up a gear and then drops back down. Can do it a few times in a minute.Is an irregular problem. Have recently changed engine and auto transmission oil, but has made no difference. Problem is bad enough at times for me to simply leave overdrive off on the highway.

Can anyone relate to this and advise me of appropriate action to resolve?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:52

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:52
A bit of a longshot and may not apply to your vehicle, but is apparent on a few other makes of vehicles....

Try looking at the engine electrical temperature sender that may be connected to the automatic transmission (not the dash temperature indicator). Sometimes the connections can become dirty and give erratic messages to the transmission. The idea of the interlock is not to allow the transmission to change into overdrive until the engine is up to temperature. If the connection plays up, your transmission plays up.
AnswerID: 121545

Reply By: pedro the swift - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:42

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 08:42
Had a similar problem on my Patrol. Would drop out of overdrive imtermittently. Problem was lockup clutch slipping. I also investigated various electricalproblems bu that was the final answer. The wagon had done 200,00km and I had gearbox rebuilt and problem was fixed. Start filling your piggy bank. Thats another reason I dont like auto gearboxes.
AnswerID: 121561

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:59

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:59
Airflow sensor might be starting to die. Mine did this for a few months before crapping out suddenly. Would be worth getting checked somehow - you do not want it to die in the middle of nowhere. You'll have no power unless its gravity assisted.

If you power up a hill, is it slugglish as the foot goes down, and then suddenly kicks right in as the foot is near the floor?
AnswerID: 121579

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:49

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:49
Gday Blond1

Worst-case scenario is that your auto is on the way out and this is the first warning. Is the gearbox misbehaving in any other way? The Problem with rebuilding some Auto’s is they are very touchy so even after the rebuild it still might not run right, even to the point that it may need rebuilding agene in 30,000k’s time

How many K’s had the ATF oil done and what sort of change did you do (Pan and filter or a full flush) As in some case’s it is worse for the Auto to change the ATF (IE. Full Flush) than leave the old stuff in, a pan and filter change is ok though as it doesn’t change all the oil just diluent’s the new stuff with some old.
AnswerID: 121633

Sponsored Links