Camping on the west side of Fraser

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 13:04
ThreadID: 24959 Views:5598 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback from my last post. I have another few questions? What is the camping like on the west side of Fraser? Are the sandflies really bad - we are going in Sept? Also is the track from Moon point north passable with trailers? How is the fishing? Where are the best sposts to camp - Wathumba, Awinya or Coongul creeks? Thanks for the feedback.

Mel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ron F (SA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 14:20

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 14:20
Mel,

It's been a few years since I've been up there though. I used to take my 18 foot boat up that way quite regularly so there shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you hit the beach at low tide.

Coongal Creek isn't too bad. If you head north of the creek about 500m or so, depending on how far the creek has moved down the beach, there should be a few camp sites that are hidden from the beach and backs on to the creek. You'll be able get fresh water from the creek as well.

Wathumba is a good drive and doesn't offer much more than Coongal unless you go inland and get to the northern side of the creek. It's used to be too deep to attempt to cross. There used to be a vehicle wreck stuck about half way across the the creek rusting away.

Awinya Creek is a little bit exposed in areas.

The sandflies are pretty bad though. It doesn't matter where on the western side you stay you'll get them, more so in the hotter months. I used to use baby oil and dettol mixed up to try deter them.
AnswerID: 121599

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 14:51

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 14:51
The fishings lousy and the sandflies are so thick that you can see em coming. And boy do they ever. Personally I steer clear of land on that side :)))
AnswerID: 121607

Reply By: mattycruiser - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:09

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 15:09
Stick to eastern side for camping and drive to the western side for a day trip .
The best spot on the western side is King Fisher Resort , very relaxing plus a very good drive.
AnswerID: 121610

Reply By: Groove - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:18

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:18
I Had a very bad sand fly experience on the western side of Fraser, over 200 bites on my legs, happened almost instantly. Not aplcae I will return to in a hurry.

Cheers

AnswerID: 121616

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:42

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:42
I thought they closed the beach north of Moon point. Better check before you go as there are restrictions on driving on beaches.

Alan
AnswerID: 121639

Sponsored Links