Where rivers collide - Junction of the Flora,Katherine and Daley rivers

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 16:01
ThreadID: 24964 Views:2045 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
If anyone is interested in such places This junction can be reached by the Flora river National Park It has excellent campgrounds with hot showers, Park is best accesed by Canoe where the brilliantly clear turquise water is a treat. There are places to drag your canoe around the limestone Tuffs which create a series of pools devided by these tuffs and mini falls.
To get to the junction you drive to the far East of the park heading to the canoe launching site. The road runs parallel to the river but takes a sharp left. Here there is a sharp turn chevron sighn with a track continuing on, you go around the chevron sighn and onto an unmarked 2 wheel track. It comes to a y junction where you turn right and this leads to the 3 rivers junction. Away from the lures only nat park restrictions I had a fish but kept getting snagged by huge fish. One I caught was a decent cattie which was bitten in half right on the surface by a whaler shark well upstream!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:28

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 17:28
Ahhhhhh....................

You mean the CONFLUENCE of the Daly, Katherine & Flora rivers.................

Cheers
AnswerID: 121629

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:36

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 18:36
A lovely spot accessed by 4x4 in the 1970's. Got to Flora Falls which are at the convulgence(but I prefer your words.... collide) of the rivers. There you can sit under the falls with the water gently tumbling over you, soothing away those aches and pains(no oowersteering in those days) or the hangover from the previous camp. We came in via Claraval Crossing and then went bush along the banks of the Daly River. Did not know there was a National Park there now but checked with my map and there it is.
AnswerID: 121638

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:31

Friday, Jul 22, 2005 at 20:31
Hmmmmm I meant CONFLUENCE......there is no such word as Convulgence lol
FollowupID: 376822

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:51

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:51
Sit under the falls? Not on your life! That is full on croc country
FollowupID: 376873

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 09:39

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 09:39
You been CONVULGING that pear juice again in P'borough?

LOL

Rick

..............Yeah, I often get fat qwerty fingers, too
FollowupID: 376972

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 10:06

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 10:06
No crocs at the falls, Davoe.....Big Sissy!

Rick...Hmmm run out of PP Juice and did not make any this year. Must've been something else. How are ya anyway?
FollowupID: 376974

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 12:53

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 12:53
Hmmmmmmm wont ake your word for it there ws plenty of the NTNPWS crocadile warning sighns but certainly didnt see any but it made me keep a keen eye out from the canoe besides I know there are sharks in the area. That beutiful crystal clear tourquise water did look oh so inviting though..........
FollowupID: 376986

Reply By: Grungle - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:15

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:15
We drove there in 99 with the Top End 4wd Club except we had permission to access via private property and were lucky enough to camp right on the sandbar at the junction of the 3 rivers. There was a fallen tree over part of the river that had 30 odd Barra swimming under it. We were stuffed if we could entice them to strike and only got one on a lure. I did manage to get one in a Yabby trap (opera house) however which totally blew us away. It was longer than the trap when we pulled it out.

The park rangers were flying up and down the river in a helicoptor as there was a monster croc spoted in the area. Made for some interesting camping. We found some cascading springs further along one of the rivers with mineral deposits that formed little round spa baths and made for a relaxing time. Totally out of place but magic. Sounds like the same place that others went to. Truely a magic spot and relatively untouched as well (well on the private property side). I am just sorry I didn't take notes on how to get there.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 121719

Sponsored Links