the big outback trip to oz

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2499 Views:2121 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
hi,
we are two guy from israel that plan our big trip and we have some question.
we arrive to adelaide at 29/03/03 than we rent a landcruizer bushcamper our plan is: flinder ranges, oodnadata track, dalahousy spring, ayers rock, west macdonnel ranges, alice springs, plenty hwy, mount isa, cape york till weipa, cooktown, cairns, the coast to brisbane
there we leave at 15/05/03.
my questions
maybe it will be better to go from alice north: tanamy track, bungle bungle, litchfield park, darwin, kakadu park than directly to townsville and then the cost to brisbane ? it doesn't will be to mutch km for our time ?
we can't change the date of coming and leaving did the weater will be ok or chould we change our plan becouse of it ?
did anyone have some tips for our trip ?
any answers will be o.k. for our limited knowledge about oz.
sorry for my english

thanks

gady
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CHRIS - Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00
Looking at all the trouble that Sharon is causing at the moment you could try going via Gaza or possibly popping in and saying hello to Saddam and telling him what the Aussies think of him.
AnswerID: 9139

Follow Up By: Charlie - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00
Chris this guy wants to come to our beautiful country and wants to enjoy our scenery and what it means to be Australian. Your sentiments are completely against what Ausssies are all about. Our countrymen travel the world with great interest, and perhaps attitudes have changed somewhat of late but I thought we were an accepting and broadminded group. To me this sort of attitude promotes hatred. If we all had that sort of belief what the hell do you think our local neighbourhoods would be like. At the moment they are not perfect but they are better than ALL of the rest of the world.

Wake up,... this is what we all need to be like. Travel and seek the understanding of those who live locally. I hope you get a better reply, even in an Aussie town you visit.
FollowupID: 4585

Follow Up By: Derek - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00
Well said Charlie!
FollowupID: 4611

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00

You may be better asking here:
http://forums.overlander.com.au/
AnswerID: 9147

Reply By: Member - Chris - Saturday, Nov 30, 2002 at 01:00

Your plan from adelaide to Alice looks fine. There is some really good country to go through as see - the rental cruiser will get you there. Just a reminder that the wet season in the north runs until April and you might find that the tanami and the bungles will still be closed.

Visit litchfield park first, it's better than Kakadu. Most of the 4wd tracks in Kakadu might also be closed until early May orJune.

You should be able to see all your planned points after june, so I'd suggest coming a little later to catch the dry season (May-October) in the north when most of the rivers/falls have some spectacular water in them, but the tracks have been opened.

As for tips;
Don't go past Katherine gorge on the way north to Litchfield;
Be careful feeding kangaroos - they aren't always friendly; and
Be prepared to be travelling as if you've driven from Israel to the UK without the cities in between.

good luck
AnswerID: 9150

Follow Up By: Gadyf1 - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the reply
there are some must see places in our route ? some small and special places that they doesn't shown in every guide ?
what kind of permit we need for the trip ?
which maps do you think that we have to by in adelaide before leaving ?
do we have to ask for some special equipment from the car company ?
regard
gady
FollowupID: 4586

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Gady do you have a GPS or iPaq or laptop you are going to bring with you?
FollowupID: 4593

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Gasy.
We will be happy to show you our beautiful country. Chris has just about covered it all.

As far as maps are concerned, I have always found that the best places, and best maps to get are always either at the place of interest and as close as you can and at the largest town. If you are exploring central Australia, then Alice Springs. If further North, then Darwin.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of visiting our Outback as we do.

Regards

FollowupID: 4605

Follow Up By: Gadyf1 - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

hi all
yes i bring a g.p.s and a leptop but i use the leptop only for download the picture from my digital camera.
regards
gady
FollowupID: 4612

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:00
Gady if you are bringing a GPS and a laptop why not use it together.
In the Exploroz shop they have this:
http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/DisplayItems.asp?ItemID=374
Description
Contains: OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software (1 CD), NatMap 2002 Edition Raster 250K CD set (2 CDs), Hema Great Desert Tracks Map Pack on CD (1 CD), and ExplorOz Membership for 12mths.
This will allow you to record all your trip, know exactly where you are, take Waypoints where your photographs were taken etc. etc.
You will need a serial cable to go from your GPS to your laptop.
FollowupID: 4639

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Gady,
When you arrive in Adelaide buy a Hema Australia Road Atlas. Australia is a very large country. From Adelaide to Alice Springs the distance is around 1500 kilometres. From Alice Springs to Darwin is a further 1500 kilometres. The journey you are planning will most likely be 12000 kilometers in distance. So you will have to travel at least 2000 kilometres per week. Going up the Tanami Track will be OK but it is a long way around to the north. The interior of Australia can be very harsh.....so take care with everything that you do. Kakadu NP will most likely not be open to traffic as the Monsoon season will not have ended. The Far North of Australia receives up to 2500 mm of rain in a 3 month period from December to to March.Litchfield Park should be accessible. It is also unlikely that you will be able to get to Cooktown, Weipa and the tip of Cape York in the time frame that you mention as the rivers will still be flooded after the rains. Drinking water is very important in Outback Australia. Always carry an extra 20 litre water container and it is advisable to carry at least an extra 20 litres of fuel. Your hired vehicle may have long range fuel tanks. Carry a Hi Lift jack with you. Maybe the hire company will supply one. Also....carry a second spare tyre and tube as well as fan belts and hoses. We hope that you enjoy your travels through our wonderful country. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 9160

Follow Up By: Gadyf1 - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

thanks a lot
i am shure that i will enjoy your wonderful country
do you think that instead of driving thrugh the tanami it will be better for me to drive on the pave road.
not because it is rough just because maybe it will be close ?

FollowupID: 4613

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Gady,

You're planning a big trip for just over 6 weeks. However, you should still be able to cover most of the popular tourist attractions on your itinery. And of course, you can always change your plans to suit yourself once you get a feel for travelling in Aust.

My advise to you would be to forget about doing the Tanami and Bungle Bungles. This is a long diversion off your main route north and I estimate you'd be doing it in mid-April in order to give yourself enough time to do everything else closer to your departure point on the east coast. The trouble with that is that the Bungles don't open until after the wet season and only then once the access track has dried sufficiently. It is very likely that they could still be closed in mid to late April (I learnt this first hand when up that way a few years ago).

There is so many wonderful things to see and do on the rest of the route you have planned you shouldn't be too disappointed at having to miss the Bungles. Actually, Litchfield and Kakadu in the NT will be lovely in late April/early May as the waterfalls will be absolutely thundering down, the wetlands will be full and all in all you'll have a great time.

Enjoy your trip down under.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 9227

Sponsored Links