Warburton Community Road

Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 250 Views:1906 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Please advise if the Warburton Community Road Is drivable under normal weather conditions.I would like to drive this road approx.March/April 2002.Iwill be driving a Nissan Pathfinder and towing a 16 ft poptop van Hoping some one can help barrie clarke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Don - Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00
Yes , no problems .
AnswerID: 558

Reply By: barrie clarke - Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks for your reply Don, anything else I shold know about the that you can help me with.barrie clarke
AnswerID: 559

Reply By: Brian - Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00
Barrie, Ill be driving along this road in about 4 weeks time- I know people who have driven it- they sit on about 100 all the way- Ill let you know how we got on when we get back.
AnswerID: 582

Reply By: barrie clarke - Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks Brian will wait for your info when you return have a safe trip barrie clarke
AnswerID: 583

Reply By: Brian Gould - Monday, Jul 23, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 23, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Barrie- we just got back to Newman the other day. The Warburton Road all the way from Laverton to Docker River and the Olgas was in excellent condition. The road is 3 lanes wide for 95% on the way. I would say it was lightly corrugated for 95%, moderatly corrugated or sandy for the remainder. When I say lightly corrugated I mean light- the road is in very good shape. We took 2.5 days to complete the Laverton to Olgas stretch. The surface is mostly hard clay with a fine covering of small, loose rock. Toward the Docker River end the road became increasingly sandy, but never to the point of requiring 4WD. We saw people doing the trip in conventional 2WD cars. Overall there were about a dozen sites were water was still on the road in small patches- being clay based this could prove tricky but often there were detours people had made through the bush around any boggy patches. That said, it rained 50mm two days after we went through and the road was closed for several days at Warburton.
Fuel was not a problem- the roadhouses all had bowsers for Diesel and Unleaded- only Docker River was closed (when it should have been open)- but the other 3 roadhouses along the way are professional operations and you wouldn't be caught short.
It can be pretty dusty- so keeping it out of the van may be an issue. We saw plenty of trailer campers but I'd tow a caravan without hesitation.
A few camels were on the road but soon moved off- I sat on 80 all the way to be sure but encountered very little wildlife.
Good luck Barrie- enjoy the magnificent scenery.
AnswerID: 787

Follow Up By: Barrie Clarke - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks for your info Bryan It has been a great help.Glad you had a safe trip barrie clarke
FollowupID: 237

Sponsored Links