This Thread has been Archived
Date: 23 Jul 2005
Name: Gembrok Day Trip

Read the Trip/Gathering Report.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 16:37

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 16:37
Great report Adam.

Thanks again for wading into that icy mud pool and getting me out. The Jerry actually took in a lot more water than it seemed. I've pulled up the carpets and there was a lot of water inside. I've still got a heater blow drying the underfelt after I used six towels to mop most of it up. Fortunately no damage done.

Great day out. How lucky are we to have a place like Gembrook so close to Melbourne?

Terrific to catch up with Moggs again and meet some new people. Everyone so easy to get along with and help each other.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 121814

Reply By: D-Jack - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 17:38

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 17:38
Man, as if you guys have something like that so close. We got Deep Creek about an hour from Adelaide, but it only has a couple of steep hills of which the roads are gates shut if it rains!

Great read Crazie, and some great photos to go with it to help visualize your recovery descriptions!

By the way, what tyres do you have on?

D-Jack
AnswerID: 121820

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:41

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:41
Hi D-Jack
Yes, it all made for a fun day. I have Cooper St's, 265/75/16 on.
FollowupID: 377036

Reply By: F4Phantom - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 18:19

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 18:19
Top report Adam. I had a really good time, we got to have a go at everything from water-over-the-bonnet water crossings, to rock hopping, to mud, hills and muddy hills + a really good chance to work on refining those recovery skills. Hope everyone else had a good time and perhaps see some of you at the snow day this sat.
AnswerID: 121829

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 18:52

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 18:52
Adam excellent report.
"The Terrican goes anywhere and with Jimbo behind the wheel, its goes everywhere. " Great to here your glowing report on the Jerry. Jim only mentioned getting wet on the Terracan Forum.

Was picturing in my minds eye all your tribulations and could imagine your concerns with darkness closing in and you still had to get out of there.

Well done to all of you.

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 121834

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:14

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:14
goodday crazie
looks like you had a great day i havent been up that way for a while but its a bugger when your the group leaded and get to go 1st all the time

steve
AnswerID: 121836

Reply By: Moggs - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:21

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:21
Excellent report Adam :)

Thanks for arranging and leading us all on a great day out. Your efforts are much appreciated. Also thanks to everyone else for the great company - all a good bunch of people :) I look forward to hopefully catching up with you all on another EO trip soon.

I've said it before...but I'll say it again...if you are reading this thread and contemplating joining up with some of the EO crew on a trip - do it - you'll have a great time.

Was most impressed with the Jack going up that hill climb - was worth going just to see that! Was also impressed with how everyone handled the recoveries - was done in a calm manner, no bickering, and done as safely as those sorts of things can be done. It's comforting to know that there are sensible people on trips like this when you join up.

Finally, gotta say...Adam's commitment to helping Jim out when he was in the water was 100% - dived straight in clothes and all - your a good bloke Adam. Hope Jim's Terracan is all clean and dry inside now - can't believe how calm you stayed Jim!

Oh yeah....I'll pay you for the Pathy bit in the trip report next time I see you ;-)

AnswerID: 121838

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:12

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:12
Kerry,

How good was the big bloke attacking that hill?

You and I saying "that's all she wrote" when he got to the bottom of the valley in all that mud. Then he not only got out of the slush but then powered up that hill. Amazing stuff.

Isn't he a good mate? No problem, straight into that freezing cess pit to get me out. Funny bastard too. He yelled out to me "I'm only doing this because I really love you Jim".

The Jerry still isn't dry. I've pulled up the carpet, used 6 towels and had a heater pumping hot air into for 6 hours. It's still not dry. Who cares, I'll get it dry. Another learning experience for me; don't go too slow through that sort of stuff. I'm still a novice and gaining experience every time.

Great day.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 377013

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:31

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 19:31
Good report Ads

I seem to remember some of those places in the pics from when Eric took me out there last year. Nice place to go for a play in the mud :o)
AnswerID: 121839

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:18

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:18
Adam that 4 o'clock track gets you every time, I always do it to, "Shall we go home its late or shall we just do one more track, only take ten minutes" 3 hours later your out and covered in more $hit that you collected on all the previous tracks.

Ah well still good fun, I to have had interesting times at Gembrook, never fails to entertain.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 121841

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:28

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:28
Dead right John,

I had to bail out 3.30 to attend a family function. Pity I had to go, missed some serous "fun", but I would have copped far worse grief had I not turned up until 9.30 covered in mud.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 377014

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:35

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:35
Well done guys sounds like a big day, maybe lucky I had to work and couldn't make it.........She's still a new rig you know....:-)

Cheers Browny
AnswerID: 121857

Reply By: S&N - Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:38

Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 22:38
Great write up adam.
Nicole and I had a great day, the weather was good, the water was fun, the mud was spectacular, but the best part about the day was definatly the company!!! the photos dont do the recovery justice, it was very hairy there for a while. The thing that kept it all together, safe and achievable, was the people involved. As our first trip with these guys, they made us feel very welcome. We are novices to the whole 4x4 thing, and this is the group of people that make you want to keep at it. We want to thank you all for a wonderful day, and we really hope we get the chance to do it with you guys again in the future. Great leadership from Adam (even with leaving his trusty navigator at home)Ha,ha!

word of warning to others, if you go out with Jimbo, appearences can be decieving, dont think you have it over him. that bloody terican can go almost anywhere and will shame you into having to have a go at it too.(ha,ha,ha!)

Thanks again guys.
AnswerID: 121858

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:56

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:56
Yep, nice one on the write up there Crazie. Well done, and thanks again for organising you did. I'll send out my photos to after I play with their sizing.

Said it in a previous post, but will reiterate a bit here. It was my first EO trip and admittedly I was a bit apprehensive in turning up and doing some potential hard stuff with total strangers. But the worries were unfounded. It was a great bunch. Moggs and I had a bit of a laugh about it at the end of the day.

I'm learning more about the vehicle each time I go out, and now know to take a spare pare of underwear when tackling steep downhill mud in the dark. lol. Seriously, is good to see other vehicles and what they can or can't do and under what conditions. Learn a lot from it, and more confidence can only come as a result.

And Adam you got some serious control of that Jack. It does what you tell it, even stand up and tip toe out of chasis deep bog.
AnswerID: 121904

Sponsored Links