GQ Vibes

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 24, 2005 at 20:28
ThreadID: 25013 Views:1430 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I know this question in similar form has been asked alot but I have a vibe and sounds in my Patrol that are very annoying.
It started when I got my clutch replaced and we headed on a long trip. After 1000klms there was a sound and vibed coming from the drive train. Cause we were already on the trip we couldn't get it checked until Alice where we were told it was ok. When we got home it was worse so I took it to the mechanic who did the clutch, he couldn't work it out and was not being very helpful at all. He did put a new clutch(so he said) in it which fixed it again for anothert little while. From there it is worse. It is a grinding noise at about 900-1200 revs and then at 1500 revs it sets up a harmonic vibe through the car. When slowing down at lights in any gear at 1200 revs it vibrates and grinds you have to clutch in. This is way above idle and there should be no load on the motor. Now at above 80 only in 5th gear there is a vibration in the drive train that feels like a tailshaft vibe but at the exact same speed in 4th it is not there and then in 5th it is. Some other people have said input shaft bearing, others spigot bearing. I don't know but it is annoying and if I can't fix it which I do want to because it is a good rig then I will have to get rid of the car.
Thanks for any replies
Draff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boo - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:12

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:12
Not a mechanic myself but I had a new clutch put in my GQ about 5 months ago and found about the same time a noise/vibration started from what I think is the thrust bearings. Hasnt got any worse (or better) so I havent worried about it too much as its only slight.
Good luck...
AnswerID: 121868

Reply By: vitara - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:34

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:34
Hi guys same thing happened to my hilux when I put a new clutch in it. turned out to be the tailshaft, when I took the centre bearing out at the same time to check it I didn't put it back together in the exact same place, some one informed me that if you seperate the tail shaft from the centre bearing it has to be bolted back up in the exact same position, so I undid it turned it one bolt hole at a time did it back up and test drove, still there same thing again took home pulled apart bla bla bla did this three times and fixed the problems smooth as. Dont know whether the GQ has a 2 piece shaft or not but fixed my problem. Just a thought. Take Care Vitara
AnswerID: 121877

Reply By: Big Trev - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:35
Depending on the age of the GQ, but original clutch are not recommended replacements, they now recommend a heavy duty clutch which could answer for some of the shudder, but I would suggest that you have other issues rather than clutch, maybe the tailshaft was put back in not in it's original position, but you need to find a better mechanic.
AnswerID: 122092

Sponsored Links