Driving lights or fog lights?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:01
ThreadID: 25029 Views:3146 Replies:22 FollowUps:42
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
Interesting thing happened to me yesterday. While driving back from the Central Coast ( NSW ) yesterday evening, just prior to dusk, I was pulled over by a Highway Patrol car. He advised/warned me that, from the first of August, it would be illegal to use my driving/clearence lights, unless it was foggy!?( the ones mounted low on the front of my 120 Prado ) I thought he'd lost the plot, but no, these lights are now concidered to be fog lights and therefore only to be used in such conditions. I explaned/debated with him that they are factory fitted and that I use them along with my parking lights as a safety issue, prior to getting dark enough to use my headlights. He agreed that my use made perfect sence but if I continued this practice after Aug. 1st, it would cost me $175 and four points! He stated, that because the manufactures spec these lights as "fog lights", that is what they are to be used for.
More revenue!

Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:05

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:05
I to say these lights are only fog lights and should be used for that purpose. Not as you see them all day as wank lights.
AnswerID: 121905

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:49

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:49
Well 55 they are just wanker lights full stop. Even the cars being driven by women who want to be wankers. I agree they are fog lighs for that purpose mate. I hate the high density tail lights at brake light brightness shining into my eyes on a wetter night. I am sure some people don't understand why I would shine my driving lights into their mirrors but thats the sort of effect they have on me.

It's about time it was policed effectively.
FollowupID: 377082

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:38

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:38
Couldn't agree more JohnR and Well 55,
These lights, especially when used in Suburbia as a matter of course, are just another annoyance to other road users. I have also used my Lightforces to indicate my hatred of these WANKER lights.......thank god, i thought it was only me that hated them....
FollowupID: 377883

Reply By: gompy - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:07

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:07
About time they ban these lights!! they are fog lights and they blind oncoming traffic they have been a source of irritation for a long time!!
AnswerID: 121906

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:23

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:23
Blind oncoming traffic? Fog lights are meant to point downwards.

More likely someone's driving around with unadjusted fog lights that should be pointing at the roadway. Saw a brand new LandRover the other day who's low beam headlights must have been pointing UP - was blinding me while sitting in a Pajero - imagine how many regular car drivers he was hitting in the face.
FollowupID: 377057

Follow Up By: theshadows - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 17:04

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 17:04
scubaroo unforantly the design of these lights mean that the same candle power of light gets shown upwards as down wards. They are made as a universial lamp not as a low beam lamp with a patten desiged to shine downwards ont he road as a proper patten.

But yes nail a few gutters and the damn things shine in your eyes every time.

Is it a QLD thing but I see unajusted head lamps in QLD then any other state?

shadow
FollowupID: 377106

Follow Up By: pjchris - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:53

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 13:53
Actually the factory fitted lights in the bumper of my NM Paj are true foglights. Shine them at a wall and they have a clear cut off line above which there is no light.

However many manufacturer do fit general purpose lights and some (HSV) actually fit driving (Spot) lights in the bumper and these are significantly brighter than the headlights.

The sooner all staes crack down on this the better.

Peter

ps: just my 5c worth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377284

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:40

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:40
I wouldn't be too disappointed if this law was brought in in Victoria!! I've loss count how many high beam battles I've had with ****heads coming home from the snow fields with thier 'fog lights' on pointing up and not being able to tell if their lights are on high beam etc.
I've been thinking about getting some small spots to call them fog lights so i can drive around twith them on all the time.

Leroy
AnswerID: 121914

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 14:27

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 14:27
It is law in Victoria ... the sooner they police it the better!
FollowupID: 377084

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:01

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:01
I believe its actually been "law" in most states for ages , just not enforced.

Fog lights should be a max of 55w and ONLY used in bad conditions.

Daytime running lights are a Max of 25w and can be used anytime.

AFAIK , No vehicle in Aus is actually factory fitted with Daytime running lights. Ford tried but failed , and ended up calling them Fog lights .

There are a few aftermarket ones get fitted , and I believe Telstra have them fitted to their vehicles (or very least have some sort of kit fitted to their headlights).

Above is true to about June 2004 , I haven't checked since then.
AnswerID: 121922

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:32

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:32
Spot on flappa - these lights are fog lamps and has been law forever. Overseas some cars have day running lights which are similar to low beam normal car lights (don't know about the 25w bit) but are placed low near the road.

No car in Australia has these fitted as standard. What really bigs me are the rear fog lamps - I find them worse that the fronts.

Gazz
FollowupID: 377078

Follow Up By: flappa - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:09

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:09
Here's the ADR section from QLD

Quote:

Daytime running lights
67.(1) A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle.
(2) A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or
more wheels must be fitted with the centre of each light—
(a) at least 600 mm from the centre of the other light; and
(b) not over 510 mm from the nearer side of the vehicle.
(3) However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle
under 1300 mm wide may be fitted with the centre of each light not under
400 mm from the centre of the other light.
(4) When on, a daytime running light must—
(a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle;
and
(b) not use over 25 W.
(5) Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a
headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on.
(6) For subsection (3), the width of a motor vehicle is measured
disregarding any anti-skid device mounted on wheels, central tyre inflation
systems, lights, mirrors, reflectors, signalling devices and tyre pressure
gauges.
FollowupID: 377087

Reply By: Skinny- Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:06

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:06
Yeah Bazza, pitty we have to have laws for this stuff. They annoy the crap out of me though, especially in those WRX thingys. More poze than anything for most. I agree with you though, lights on during the day is a good thing.Just depends if they face up or down and how bright.

I was booked 15 years ago for illegal use of additional spot lamps ...I flashed a car to tell them the cops were ahead....s@#t it was another unmarked cop car.Duh

Now I still flash all six lights on my truck at any sporty boy driving with fog lights on in the city at night...not prado's or explore oz people of course lol

Skinny
AnswerID: 121924

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:22

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 13:22
Hoo - bloody ray.

About time this law was policed.
AnswerID: 121925

Reply By: theshadows - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 14:56

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 14:56
capt.wrongway have you ever sat in a small car infront of your prado with those lights on? try it for 30 minutes and you will never use them again!~!!

They are so frustrating and the worse thing is they never adjusted and they dont have glare guards over them.

As the ADR's state you are allowed a total of 2 headlights on that have anti glare devices installed or a total of 6 lights for high beam.

fog lamps and dipped headlamps are not allowed to be able to be switched on at the same time.

fog lamps and high beam are allowed to be turned together however they are counted as a set of headlights.

fog lights to work from a seperate switch to the headlight must be wired so all parking and taillights must turn on at the same time.

shadow
AnswerID: 121936

Follow Up By: vitara - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:28

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:28
Theshadows, my fog lights are factory fitted and also have a separate switch. The fog lights wont come on unless you at least have the parking lights on so that way your rear tail lights are on as well. You also state that fog lamps and high beam are allowed to be turned on together, why would you have both on at the same time? Have you ever tried to drive in the fog with high beam on, it makes it harder to see as the fog is reflected back at you. And no I'm not talking about my hilux4wd I'm talking about my commodore. Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 377092

Reply By: govo - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:15

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:15
Another good Fri..opps..I mean Monday funnie
AnswerID: 121937

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:33

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:33
G'Day all,
Thank you all for your input. I agree with most, but disagree with some. But I will defend your right to voice your opinion. I my case I only use these lights for about an half an hour prior to sunset. After that I only use my headlights. I thought I'd said that?
Someone asked if I'd ever sat behind a small vehicle with these lights on.... the answer is yes, many times. Never had a negitive responce. The lights only light up to about his rear bumber level. Although on many occasions I've been given the "finger" because my normal low beam has lit up the car.
I do not advicate the use of all lights. There are already enough "wankers" driving about that do'nt need lights to point them out.
Thanks again all.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 121938

Follow Up By: phil - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:51

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 15:51
Why break the law by using these "wanker" lights when you can better use low beam headlights at any time.

Phil I
FollowupID: 377095

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 16:25

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 16:25
CAPT sorry you had to learn this way, but unfortunately Im not sorry you had to learn! They are designed for a purpose (FOG) and with all things, to use them outside that purpose usually makes them illegal!!

They dazzle drivers and the rear mounted fog lights that sooo many use are nearly as bad, almost impossible to bare in good or slighlty inclement weather (not fog).

As to your statement that factory ones shine down....please do me a favour and drive down a very dark, tree lined (DESERTED) road and have a go switching them on and off a few times! You will be amazed at the amount of light that is thrown UP into the trees and consequently into any other approaching driver!

We all live and learn please accept the reason they are illegal and support it!
FollowupID: 377096

Follow Up By: theshadows - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 17:13

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 17:13
well maybe bazza you learnt 2 things.... nfirst is make sure thy have under 55 watt gloabes in them.
The second only turn them on in fog or low visablity contiditions. IE smoke or fog.

If your lucky i can arrange for a trip from brissie to sydney return in a "b" ouble an we see how you feel about the damn lights then . it only take one of them to ruin your night vision and give a headache for the next 10 hours.

to be honest they are my second worse pet hate. EXCEL with that 55 watt rear fog lamp that every one turns on at night try sitting behind one of those for more than 5 minutes . no nigth vision and the headache......

shadow
FollowupID: 377110

Follow Up By: vitara - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:45

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:45
To Matt Mu, totally agree with along with owning a hilux I also own a vx S pack which has the same front end as an SS. I have driven dark roads many times and have tried that out, I could quite easily drive around with just the driving lights on as they lite up the road brilliantly. I did notice that they do light up the side of the road great which is the idea of fog lights so that in heavy fog you can see the side of the road and also the centre line. I would also like to note that any car with factory fog lights you have an additional light either on the dash or the switch itself to let the driver know that there fog lights are on.I can alsosay that the fog lights are super bright as I have had my wife following me with them on and even in my hilux with a lift kit they shine in my side mirrors and also rear view mirror so any body coming in the opposite direction especially on a single lane road would be blinded with just fog lights on. I have had the police pull me over in the western suburbs of sydney for having the fog lights on. Ithought he was nabbing me for speeding (get a bit excited when I drive the commodore after driving a 2. 8 hilux all day ) my wife had the fog lights on the night before coming home from katoomba but I didn't know as the bulb had blown for fog lights on the dash copper told me I was lucky as he is sick of people having them on for no reson told me to get the bulb replaced asap. Four points a bit savage but hey you will only do it once. Take Care Vitara
FollowupID: 377151

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 16:53

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 16:53
my truck driving instructor told me (he is on a board of road law advisories)
that it is illegal to have more than one set of forward facing headlights.

but i agree they are wank lights
AnswerID: 121946

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 18:27

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 18:27
Yeah it is annoying when people have the FOG light’s on all the time (WRX, SS Commodore’s ECT) as they generally point right into your eyes they are more for look’s than anything else.

But 4 point’s Get real I think a $100 fine would cover that sort of mistake it is almost half your licence because you may of accidentally nocked them on, It is just another example of over the top penalty’s.

Oh yeah wile we are on it, Have you ever noticed when land cruiser’s 80/100 series are towing there low beams point straight into you eyes just as annoying.

But you know what I do ‘Build a bridge and get over it’ it is life it happens move on, same story with fog light’s.

If you do happen to get pulled over for accidentally having them on. Just say I defiantly didn’t have them on must be a fault somewhere, the cop might yellow sticker the car. If so just go over the pits they will tic it off as ok, Pay the pit fee and you’re off. Better than loosing 4 point’s in my book.
AnswerID: 121962

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 19:23

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 19:23
Exploder, If you are that incompetent that you continually “ACCIDENTALLY TURN YOUR FOG LIGHTS ON” I think it’s time your surrendered your license and caught the bus. You can’t honestly think that anybody, especially a cop would believe that story.

As for the 4 points, there is a very legitimate reason for the high point penalty and it goes to show that the law makers don’t believe you either.

The 4 point penalty is because unlike if you have an accident where, in 99.9% of cases you were not deliberately intending to have an accident, turning your fog lights on is a deliberate act by you to flaunt the law and as such, you deserve all you get.

This is a great move by NSW and the sooner QLD does the same the better.
FollowupID: 377135

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:13

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:13
I think you'll find it is the law in Qld. I can't quote it but I mentioned how bloody annoying it was to a friend of mine (a traffic cop) and he says he agrees and writes tickets for people who do it.

I can't stand those stupid fog lights on the front but as has been said the worst is the Excel rear super bright red light
FollowupID: 377148

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:02

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:02
Drive-safe, My fog lights are wired up so they can only come on when the HI-Beam’s do. I am not going to debate with you about driving ability because I am guessing you are the best and have never made a mistake in you life.

Example: A Friend of mine recently brought a new S-pack Holden Ute With the fog-light’s, and as it was a new car he was not familiar with as he had come from a 79 series T/TOP, he had the fog light’s on by accident and was pulled over by a cop and was let off.

I stand by my statement it is not a 4 point offence; A $100 fine is completely acceptable for this type of thing.

If you can’t manage to control you car for the few second’s it takes for the retard to drive past with his fog lights on maybe you should hand in you license yes it is annoying but you can still drive the car.

And yeah my old man has been a cop for 29-year’s I have not once heard him complain when driving past a car that has fog light’s on. I think that it is NSW that have some of the dumbest driving penalty’s around, Has it made a difference to there road toll NO. This is just another example of over fining.
FollowupID: 377155

Follow Up By: Outbackers - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:33

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 21:33
Exploder. Why does anyone need fog lights when on high beam????? It defeats the need for fog lights. Fog lights are intended to give light UNDER the fog to the road. High beam is the exact opposite, it just reflects off the fog and blinds the driver. That makes no sence at all.
FollowupID: 377161

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:11

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:11
Exploder, I’m not apologising for my post as it was not meant as a dig but a statement of fact. Someone who is continually making those kind of mistakes is not only a menace to themselves but a genuine danger to all who use the roads.

As for scum bags who show a total disregard for other road uses by driving around with their fog lights facing up into on coming driver’s faces deserve all they get and in my case if there is no other vehicles behind them when they do it to me, I simply return the respect by giving them nearly 1000 watts of driving lights.

It’s amazing how many of them don’t like it when they get it done to them.

In the case of these scum bags this is not a case of a mistake but a blatant disregard for both the law and other road uses. These people are nothing more than selfish mongrels and they deserve all they get and going by most of the threads on this post, mine is not an isolated view.
FollowupID: 377171

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:54
Outbacker’s, Just the way they are wired up, As for the Hi-Beam light coming back and blinding you can’t say it has happened fog isn’t that reflective, I have even put the spotlight’s on in fog once or twice and the beams just penetrate into it, look’s kinder cool.

Drive-safe you are entitled to you view on the subject and I can respect that, Me I can honestly say it dose not bother me that much it is annoying but I can live with it (Maybe it is worse around your aria/State) My feeling is 4 point’s is a little harsh

I think perhaps it should be put back on Car Company’s to aim the factory fitted FOG Light’s correctly and make it so they can not point up into oncoming traffic. In reality this is Australia and how often do we get fog thick enough where most of the Suspect cars are being driven to warrant having them fitted in the first place.

It is more about the look than anything and that is half the problem
FollowupID: 377180

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:02

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:02
QUOTE.....I simply return the respect by giving them nearly 1000 watts of driving lights.

Drivesafe...if you do this then you are the scumbag...very stupid thing to do....I think you had better change your name from Drivesafe to WANKER

FollowupID: 377316

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:24
Let me guess govo, your one of the half-wits that drive around with your fog lights on and now that they are finally going to do something about you, you don’t like it.

TUFF

What about all the people, driving in the opposite direction, minding their own business, abiding by the law, who get blinded by your selfishness and stupidity.

But that doesn't matter to you, you just won’t to show everybody else that you are so clever that you have now learnt to turn a switch on.

Well aren’t you the clever one. Now you will have to learn how to turn it off again and in your case, I think it will really be a strain.

Cheers all.
FollowupID: 377320

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 17:58
Ummmmm...Drive safe you really are a idiot are'nt you...your so good at jumping to conclusions.....good at dishing out critizem but cannot take it back...and just for your information i don't have wanker lights or scumbag lights or halfwit lights as you call them.

YOUR QUOTE.... I simply return the respect by giving them nearly 1000 watts of driving lights. .......really good idea this....and then they run into you from blindness..
FollowupID: 377324

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 18:21
So what's the problem showing the same respect or lack of respect towards these people as they show everyone else.
FollowupID: 377327

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:08

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:08
Yer right..same lack of respect....next you will be saying you throw a handfull of rocks out the window.

Surly even a idiot like you can admit that blinding oncoming drivers with 1000 watts of spotties is stupid.( and if you did it to me , you would cop a handfull of rocks out the window )....( :

In my experince i have seen some of these wanker lights( as you call them )shine a bit high , but most of them shine down low and yes on some sporty cars i think they look good.I think it's the norm in this country that if poeple see something different like a 4wd with a lift kit or 4 or 5 spotties on the bull bar then they jump up and down and scream blue murder because this vechile is different from the norm.Young blokes i know who have these fogs lights have said that the cops never worry about them.But then again this is QLD and we like to be different from the other little states on this island ( :
FollowupID: 377345

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:21
Ummmmmm....also i do think i am the clever one.

How do you spell 'want' ( won't <<< no such word )
FollowupID: 377350

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:51

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:51
Ummmmm..... There is such a word as "won't".
FollowupID: 377417

Reply By: cmilton54 - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 19:46

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 19:46
Make that all states
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 121988

Reply By: carson - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:48

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:48
i know its a serious offece in the uk to use fog lights when the weather is fine especially the rears as they look like brake lights ,they definately have their uses over there though and generally people are good with the usage of them ,but here in aussie there doesnt seem much point in them except maybe in the alpine areas and there is nothing more annoying than driving behind a little european styled buzz box on a lovely summers day with a bloody fog light blaring in your eyes .
AnswerID: 122029

Reply By: JamieMac - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:45

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:45
I agree with the cops (and regulators and motoring groups etc) on this one. It is not only 'the law' but it makes sense as the low mounted lights are not aligned like a low beam. Low beam lights arevthe only lights allowed when driving towarsd another vehicle (within a certain distance which I can not remember legally but the high beam flash will let you know before that).

These lights are too dazzling to oncoming drivers and, especially in the wet, cause reduced vision. They angle flatly forward rather than down and reflect more off the wet surface.

The fools who leave their rear fog lights on in the Hyundi brigade are nearly as annoying.

AnswerID: 122066

Reply By: JamieMac - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:47
PS to my above post but FOG is defined as less than 100m visibility. From there to 1000m it is considered MIST. Hope you dont get caught out by that one!
AnswerID: 122067

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:02

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:02
I stand corrected by myself - just looked on BOM website and FOG is out to 1000m. OOps
FollowupID: 377219

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:22

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:22
Hi all,

Just trying to remember when I got my licience up here in Qld, and back to when I was driving semi's with my father. Ah yes, fog lights were only supposed to be used at night and day when there was next to no visibility, and even then they were supposed to be yellow(as defined by fog lights). Use at any other time was and still is illegal as is having spotty's above the line of the vehicles headlights unless they were for show only and not wired up. It is about time that they started enforcing this rule as there are alot of d@$&#^*ds out there, and alot of them are other 4WD's. Everyone will think that it is just another revenue raiser but they are just enforcing rules that have been there for years even though they weren't enforced regulary (a pity). As for the use of other lights on the rear of the vehicles, if they are used and the vehicle is not in reverse, then they are wired up illegally and therefore should be confiscated and the user fined heavily. I also should think that any vehicle that is suspect of having incorrectly adjusted headlights and spotlight/foglights, should be examined and tested and if beyond specs, the owner fined as well. They do and still have the right to do all this and bugger any grace period that obviously NSW users are getting. There is one National Driving Law, but then every State wants to have their own, and in this it makes driving between States somewhat of an Ar$340&e of an affair.

Just my two bobs worth anyway.

Happy travelling.
AnswerID: 122098

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:29

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:29
Drivesafe

how do you get 1000 watts of light? Is it 10 forward facing lights @ 100 watts ea?
AnswerID: 122173

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:17
Is'nt it strange how 1000 watts of lights is ok ,but 2 x 50 watt fogs lights are not
FollowupID: 377349

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:38

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:38
Damn, he must be driving some monster truck to have the room to have that many lights. How many batteries and what size altenator is he running anyway? Mustn't be able to keep them on for long!
FollowupID: 377369

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:39
Hi Wisey, High Beams are spots and 110w each and 6 driving lights also 110w each and 2 headlights ( stretching it I know ) I did say nearly.

govo, unlike you and your fog lights I don’t have my high beam on when there is oncoming vehicles or when there are vehicles in front of me.

And it’s nice to see you can spell and I bet if you take your shoes and socks off, you might even be able to count to twenty. But then again you probably can’t.

Cheers all.
FollowupID: 377370

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:04
Ok drivesafe...let me get this right...you have 1000 watts of spotties which you say you do not have on when approaching on coming traffic, but if you see a vechile with fog lights on you flash them and blind them and the cars behind them...you call your self drivesafe and yet you need 6 x 110 watt spotties...you cannot spell corectly or you have trouble seeing the keyboard.....i think you should get your eyes checked before you start flashing the onroad cateyes thinking they are wanker fog lights....and as i said before but maybe you missed it ( bad eye sight )I do not have fog lights...I do not need fog lights...and there is nowhere to mount them on a geniune nissan bullbar 2002 model if i wanted to have fog lights.
As far as i'm concerned this is the end of the matter, but for you i can bet it won't be...because dogooder idiots like yourself are good at throwing the brown stuff at other poeple but cannot take it back.You are only good at calling poeple stupid little names like scumbag and wanker, take a good look at your self mate and stop being all high and mighty and mr bloody perfect. HAVE A NICE DAY ( : ( : ( :
FollowupID: 377379

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:33

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:33
Hi again govo, I’ll start with the end of your last post first, thnk you I am having a nice day and thanks to you a very humorous one at that.

You are either quit happy to lie about what someone else posts or you are suffering from short term memory lose and as for being able to spell, I think you need to use a spell checker yourself before you criticise anyone else.

And I’m not a do-gooder but on the road, I do mind my own business and do nothing that will inconvenience other drivers unless they do it to me.

In your case, there's an old saying that fits, he who lives in a glass house should invest in blinds.
FollowupID: 377386

Follow Up By: govo - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:51

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:51
Quote..I do mind my own business and do nothing that will inconvenience other drivers unless they do it to me.

Unless of course they have fog lights on right...then they cop 1000 watts of spotties... very inteligent of you.

Quote..he who lives in a glass house should invest in blinds.

I always thought it read...should not throw stones....but then again good ol mr do gooder cannot be wrong.

Quote..You are either quit happy to lie about what someone else posts or you are suffering from short term memory lose and as for being able to spell, I think you need to use a spell checker yourself before you criticise anyone else.
I was'nt the one that spelt "want" as "won't. You did....remember..or is your brain fading like your eye sight.
FollowupID: 377390

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 23:16

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 23:16
There you go again lying through your hat, in your last post you said that this was the end of the matter but here you are again.

As for the spelling mistakes, I never said anything about being able to spell, your the one trying to make out you are an expert on Funk and Wagnel, which you quite obviously are not, read your last post.
Who cares if there are spelling mistakes, I don’t and I think most others on these sites don’t consider accurate spelling is a prerequisite to posting.

Are you that hard up that you will clutch at anything to try and make a totally useless point.

I asked the question of you as to whether you were a liar or suffering from short term memory lose.

I withdraw that statement and apologise, because it is blatantly obvious that you are nothing more than a simpleton and as such, continuing this thread is just taking advantage of someone who is incapable of being able to conduct themeless in a manor that is equal to the rest of the people posting here.

To everybody else, I apologise for steering this thread off subject.

Cheers all.
FollowupID: 377391

Follow Up By: govo - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 00:37

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 00:37
Quote...incapable of being able to conduct themeless in a manor that is equal to the rest of the people posting here.

You say this in you do gooder way but you forgetting something...halfwit..scumbag...wanker...simpleton. These were the words you chose to use to abuse myself and other posts.Your pretty good at the name calling but not to good at coping a bit of flak back.
Just remember you are the one with the name Drivesafe and you are the one that said you flash 1000watts at other vechiles. This i can honestly say i have never done because it would be a stupid thing to do and i'm not prone to do childish things like this. If i see a car coming towards me with the fog lights shining up a bit , i simply don't look at the lights, but concentrate on the road.
FollowupID: 377396

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:37
The law at present does not specifically make it an offence to use your front fog lights when conditions are not foggy.

It is illegal to use rear fog lights unless in fog.

It is illegal to dazzle other drivers. Front fog lights often do this (whether factory fitted of not).

You say that you use them when it is not dark enough to use your headlight and in conjunction with your parking lights.

Parking lights are for parking. Fog lights are for fog. Head lights are for driving during periods of low visibility. Just think about it. It is pretty simple when the name tells you what the lights are for.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 122194

Follow Up By: spondo - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:08

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:08
without prejudice
i really hate to burst all the non believers bubble, but it is illegal to use your fog lights unless you are driving in foggy conditions, i know because i paid the $100 + fine but lost no demerit points for it as it was about 5 years ago.... so obviously it is not a new road rule but one that is finally being enforced, and about time.
FollowupID: 377460

Reply By: spondo - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:11

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:11
and for those that cant read the little boxes......

without prejudice
i really hate to burst all the non believers bubble, but it is illegal to use your fog lights unless you are driving in foggy conditions, i know because i paid the $100 + fine but lost no demerit points for it as it was about 5 years ago.... so obviously it is not a new road rule but one that is finally being enforced, and about time.
AnswerID: 122282

Follow Up By: spondo - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:32

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:32
whoops........... i tell a lie, the fine was $90.00
FollowupID: 377463

Follow Up By: spondo - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:35
1 more comment, the offence is actually named
"unlawful use of fog lamps".
FollowupID: 377464

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:24

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:24
Even Toyota calls them Fog lights.(check the web site) Turn em on in the FOG. Turn them OFF at all other times and stop giving all oncoming traffic the bleep s.

Cheers....
AnswerID: 122283

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:54

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:54
Mr Bitchi, is that statement straight from the Toyota hand book.

If so not only is to the point but other manufactures should print it in there hand books.

If it is your own statement, WELL PUT.

Cheers
FollowupID: 377612

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:52

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:52
The description of FOG lights comes from the Toyota web site. The rest is my personal opinion.
Hate the bloody things.
Was walking into my Gym yesterday arvo, around 4pm, and a womaen drove up in a Falcon XR6 with the wanker lights on and they were so badly aimed they blinded me as a pedestrian! Imagine facing that in an oncoming car.....
And what the hell does she need FOG lights for at 4pm on a bright sunny day????? And yes she had her headlights on as well.
FollowupID: 377635

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:56
For info of all:

The Australian Road Rules came into effect on the 1st March 2000 and replaced previous state legislation. The applicable rules are:

Part 13—Lights and warning devices
Division 1—Lights on vehicles (except bicycles, animals and animal-drawn vehicles)
215—Using lights when driving at night or in hazardous weather conditions
(1) A driver must not drive at night, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility unless:
(a) the headlights, tail lights and number plate light fitted to the driver's vehicle are operating effectively and are clearly visible; and
(b) if the vehicle is fitted with clearance lights or side marker lights—those lights are operating effectively and are clearly visible.
217—Using rear fog lights
(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with a rear fog light must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
(2) In this rule:
rear fog light means a light fitted to a vehicle to make it more easily visible from the rear in fog.
219—Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 122413

Reply By: benno52 - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:10

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:10
Fog lights is fog lights, maybe there is perpetual fog inside the heads of those that drive around with em on all the time. Excels aren't the only offenders in the super bright rear fog lamp either, more and more of them are emerging. I just switched from an old 86 rangie to a series 2 disco and Intend hooking up the rear fog lamps to my brake switch, did it with the rangie cos I reckon you can never have to many stoppers specially with the number of tail gaters these days. Big problem with non fog use of low mounted lights is reduced night vision for oncoming traffic and definitely a big drama round town in the wet. I nearly scored a pedestrian cos of bright low mount "spotties", dunno who got the worst fright me or the poor sod on the side of the street.
AnswerID: 122613

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:50

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 20:50
Hi benno52, I did that to both my 97 and 02 Disco and other than using them as additional stop lights, they never got any use as fog lights.

I’d like to do it to the RR but I think it will screw around with the computer.

Do you wire them up so they are only used as additional stop lights or do you put the diode in so you can still use them a fog if needed.

Cheers
FollowupID: 377787

Sponsored Links