85 landcruiser lead fuel

Submitted: Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 18:15
ThreadID: 25038 Views:1224 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
just bought an 85 landcruiser and they said it has to run on 98% octane or have booster put in or something like that, can anyone explain this to me ,as I only ever used unleaded,Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 18:43

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 18:43
Leaded fuel had a higher octane rating than reg unleaded which are 91RON
Leaded fuel had something like 97RON and also hade the lead as a valve and upper cylinder lube, as leaded engines tended to have softer valve’s

Running a leaded engine on regular can shorten its life and you can also Experience pinging/ engine nock also it will not preform as well Detonation is also a possibility.

Regular with an upper cylinder lube I.E Flash Lube is ok still not 100% Pinging still a possibility, Premium with upper cylinder lube is spot on most of the time Generally 95/96RON. BP ultimate would be the best Pro-Formance but I would be saving that for the old GT Falcon’s and Monaro’s as it is a bit $$

You could also run AV-Gas 100 Bit illegal thou but it would move.

AnswerID: 121966

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 00:03

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 00:03
Exploder is spot on dont f%&ck around run premium unleaded and add the flashlube or whatever (your local auto parts store will have something) and change your sparkplugs every 5k coz you will have to if you do city running. lrp was just that also never make the mistake a´gain get a diesal old petrol motors are just not viable anymore
FollowupID: 377191

Sponsored Links