fly screen

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2505 Views:2038 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone ever fitted a fly screen in front of an alloy bullbar and how did you fit it? Do I have to watch out for certain things, in order not to overheat the engine?
Thanks for your help.
Stefan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Stefan
More details as it effects different vehicle and engines and not other
Make, Engine, turbo, non turbo
regards Ray
AnswerID: 9168

Reply By: Janset - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Stefan.
Just for info sake, I have a turbo Troopie and have a piece of fly screen shoved between the Grill and hard up against the radiator. I have had it there for as long as I have had my Troopie about 8-9 years.

I have never experienced over heating in any sense and under any circumstances.

Have your thought of using shade cloth on you bullbar. I have seen that on a number of vehicle but have no info as to how good or why.

Regards
AnswerID: 9169

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Janset, Feel that shadecloth would be very suspect for radiators, the weave is too fine to allow enough air through. Have seen one case where a bloke fitted it to the grill and had continual overheating problems. We find that nylon/fibreglass fly screen works well, if it tears it's cheap enough to replace. Also light enough to cart some spare too. Regards...
FollowupID: 4608

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

Janset is lucky, I know lots of people have problems with the Mozzie net system.

If you have a Turbo Diesel DONT do it.

the only thing to do is to try it on your car adn see how it goes. You can buy the kits, or make one, I would make one, test it out, and then if happy buy 1.

The shadecloth is another option but like JS I have no idea on how good etc.
AnswerID: 9176

Reply By: Cobra - Sunday, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:00

A couple of years ago there was a hopper plague as we were heading for Lake Mungo. The convoy purchased a large section of shadecloth, cut it up and put it on the front of the bullbars with cable ties and it worked a treat. When I got home from the trip I made up a screen the full length of the bar (to cover the lights as well), inserted eyelets and used some old vinyl as backing for them. Just leave it in the car and if I need to use it, it only takes a few minutes to put it on with cable ties. I have a Patrol tdi and have not had any problems with this setup. A friend purchased a screen that mounts behind the grille and eventually removed it because of overheating problems.
AnswerID: 9181

Reply By: PETER - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00
had a disco now have PAJERO DID . i use shade cloth and had no problem with either car . what i did was det the wife to cut a piece of shadecloth the size of the area of the bull bar in front of the radiator.
she then put a hem at the top and bottom creating a tubre that would encase that plastic pipe that electricians use. i then cut four holes in the top and used valcro to hold it to the bull bar top . in the bottom tube i threaded an occer strap which holds the screen down taut and well clear of the radiator whilst stopping all kinds of kritters. if you need more info send me an email and i will sketch it ,scan it and send it . regards peter
AnswerID: 9190

Follow Up By: Stefan - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Peter,
Yes, I would greatly appreciate a sketch of your flyscreen setup, as I am not quite sure I fully understand it. Just email me to s.ritschard@bigpond.com if you have a little time to spare, thanks mate!

Stefan
1996 Pajero
FollowupID: 4625

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:00

Stephen, I do the same as Janset, flywire between the grill and radiator, never had a problem, but i give it a good clean each time I was the vehicle to make sure of a good air flow.
AnswerID: 9233

Reply By: Allyn - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:00
I also use flyscreen between my grille and radiator on my 80 Series. A necessary evil living in the PIlbara.
Overheating could occur via insects and spinifex seeds anyway and this is a much easier method for cleaning purposes and still allows some airflow behind the screen even if it's partially clogged
AnswerID: 9311

Sponsored Links