Lokka diff

Submitted: Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 22:58
ThreadID: 25054 Views:5052 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a LOKKA diff? I am particularly interested in its use on a Falcon AUIII Ute but would be interested in comments by anyone who has used one on any vehicle. The particular locking diff to which I refer is found at http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

If anyone has used one, do you have any comments on:
is it noisy?
can you hear or feel it locking/unlocking?
does it really work as well as it sounds?
any effect on fuel consumption/tyre wear/other additional expenses?
does it increase traction markedly?

Cheers.

Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 23:07

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 23:07
I have one in my cruiser , worked well for 2 years , you dont hear it after a while . I would be suprised if yo uheared it in a ute . Mine sheared the pins after a simpson desert trip , 25 dollar part fix .

A little tricky to set up , dont believe the can do it in your driveway
AnswerID: 122035

Follow Up By: mfewster - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:28

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:28
When you sheard the pins, what happened? was the vehicle still driveable? Any other damage to the diff? I have one in my LC and I am abaoput to cross the Simpson, so i am a bit interested in the answer. So far I have been very pleased with it, but think it probably works better in the front than it would in the rear.
FollowupID: 377198

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:11
Yes it was mate , Just locked all the time . I was told that it is a comon problem in the 80 lsd carried set up due to the clutch packs wearing out and the tolorance changing. Well after re fitting , I had the same clearence that i had when I first fitted it 2 years ago. So someone is passing the buck lol . If you as me , the 2 location pins are way 2 weak for the job.

And no other damadge mate, just a locked up center , but was a pain to drive the last 2000 kms locked
FollowupID: 377208

Follow Up By: Bruce (Canberra) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:50
Are you sure yours is a Lokka? The reason I ask is because the Lokka does not have clutches (one of the reasons I'm interested in it is because it works differently than most others). From the description:
# It doesn't have wear prone clutch mechanisms like limited slip differentials.
Also, it is supposedly easy to install because the installation does not change the setup of the crown wheel and pinion.
# LOKKA is easy to install - once referred to as the "45-minute locker", it can generally be fitted by the average do it yourself person capable of fitting brake pads.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377375

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:55
Bruce , i am a mechanic by trade , so yes , in the lsd toyota set up , yo uneed to shim up behind the clutches to set up the spacings for the springs

Yes it is a LOKKA from adelaide

Forget fitting it in a drive way by someone that can fit brake pads

it tells you to only undo one side and leave locator in tact . Good luck getting the bearing in withough cross threading the adjustor lol. remove the carrier locator , fot in together , then go pay a diff guy $50 to re set crown wheel and pinion for you .

cheers
FollowupID: 377376

Follow Up By: Bruce (Canberra) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:25

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 22:25
Thanks Eric

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377385

Follow Up By: mfewster - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:23
Eric, to what extent do you think the shearing was contributed to by the unit being in the rear in an LSD? I use mine at the front in a 60 series LC. So far it seems bullet proof and I like the traction I get while cornering over sandhills. You just can't corner with locked air lockers.
FollowupID: 377563

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:35

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:35
I think its due to the lokka needing the original lsd side gears to work as dog gears, there other model lockers , seam to come with there own dog teeth. The pins are tiny also
FollowupID: 377606

Reply By: mik_wright - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 16:42

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 16:42
I have the power trax lock right on the front of my hilux. It used to be exactly the same as the lokka but I think the lokka is now made somewhere else after some trouble with the ACCC.

I was told by alot of people to put it on the rear for various reasons but went with the front because I did not want to have to modify my on-road driving style or be faced with the lokka causing the reported problems especially in the wet.

I am very happy with it after using it in mud, gravel, sand and rocks. It really pulls the 'lux over obstacles and has even seen me with too much traction when I was first 'trying it out' in controlled conditions (ie recovery gear already set up) and I buried the diffs 15cm in thick clay/mud with the wheels spinning in air!

I cannot hear it unlocking and the only ill effects that I have noticed (apart from inital fellings of invincibility) have been heavier steering and a little under steer which are both easy to adjust to.

MIK
AnswerID: 122148

Follow Up By: Bruce (Canberra) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:39
Thanks MIK,

It sounds as good as I thought it would be.

Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377341

Reply By: lc42003 - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 15:51

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 15:51
Hi bruce

i have one installed in my 1991 xf falcon panel van.

i have raised the suspension and fitted 205/75/15 tyres off falcon outback

diff lokka works well, some clicks and bangs when you are turning into parking spaces, but you do get used to it. occasionally i get a click or bang when i move off from the traffic lights etc. normally no noise when driving along.

it appears that i am getting reduced mileage on rear tyres.

overall very happy with the setup.

lloyd.
AnswerID: 122303

Follow Up By: Bruce (Canberra) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:01
Thanks Lloyd, that's very useful because it's on the same type of vehicle as I want to use it on.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377566

Reply By: lc42003 - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:04

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:04
hi bruce

have done about 17000k's with the diff lokka installed.
mine van has a manual gearbox and there is a little bit of slack in the diff caused by the lokka. i understand that the auto gearbox makes for a smoother operation.
i always get lots of clicks when going in reverse and some rumbling when turning 180 degrees or in an s pattern into a parking spot on bitumen. i am inforned that it is normal and not a problem - certainly has not been a problem at this stage.
also get a little bit of rear wheel steer particularly on wet roads. not a problem but the first time you experience it it feels a bit strange.

off road it is fantastic. deep soft sand or mud is the only thing that stops it. i have 2 sand boards (2m x 200mm x 12mm) and a highlift jack. got bogged on the beach recently and just jacked the rear up (hayman reece towbar) , put the sand boards under the rear wheels and drove out - no drama. love to drive to areas where the 4x4 congregate - (beach fishing etc) - the looks on some of the faces is fantastic as this old panel van drives past their new (very expensive) 4x4 and carries on further down the beach.

lloyd
AnswerID: 122497

Follow Up By: Bruce (Canberra) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:36

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:36
Thanks Lloyd, sounds great.

Bruce

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 377747

Sponsored Links