Palmer Goldfields

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 13:11
ThreadID: 25097 Views:2239 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have up to date info on the road from Laura to Maytown Road following the old coach track
Thanks in advance Kev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:17

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:17
G'day kev.h

Just came back from there in june, we took the good road in from maitland downs and intended to take the route you mention out. From Maytown it took us over an hour to travel the first 4km, low range 1st and 2nd all the way, I used every bit of my 3" of lift and travel, some parts quite steep, (depends on your experience on whether you call it steep and rough aswell) had to walk 2-300 mtrs 2 or 3 times trying to find the track, that was with the assistance of a explorist 500 GPS with the uploaded map showing the track and my position on the screen.
When we got to the existing miners camps I spoke to on bloke there who informed us that the remaining 70 od k's doesn't get any better, they only ever use that route when they are blocked in by flooded rivers on the maitland track. Though I was having the time of my life and would have continued regardless, SWMBO was hanging on to our 7 month old in the back seat and was doing it bloody hard so I relented and returned on the graded mines track back to maitland.
Be warned, the whole area up there is shale therefore cuts and chunks tyres quite badly, especially on hills where there is a scramble to get to the top, if your on good mud tyres and pressure around 20-25psi you may escape a lot of damage, but anything alse will hurt, don't even think about it on highway terrain tyres, (this is also the view of the locals).
If you are set up adequately ie. good self recovery equipment, and enjoy some good (read 'fairly tough') 4wding and have a spare 6-7hrs then go for it.
Have a look at my rig pics and the set up, personally I would hesitate in doing that track in anything less. (Easy fellas, I'm talking about the mods only, not the brand of vehicle! ) Any brand will do as long as it is similarly set up, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that your chances of damage will be quite high.
If you decide to do it then have fun, if not then go in via maitland dwns along the graded track as there is some spectacular views this way and the goldfields is well worth the visit, may I recomend reading "Rivers of gold" by Hector Holthouse, as it will give a whole different perspective of the area when your standing there.
Also, if you go in via maitland dwns the turnoff for the goldfields is an unsigned, large graded track about 1/2-1km south of the maitland dwns station turn off.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 122364

Follow Up By: andoland - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:30

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:30
Pezza,

Just had a look at your rig profile and saw you have Dobinson springs. I am looking at getting a suspension upgrade for my Prado and was wondering how you have found the Dobinsons?

Ando
FollowupID: 377661

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 20:29

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 20:29
Hi ando,

In my opinion these are up there with the most comfortable and better springs around, I had the TJM series 2000's in my GQ and have been in other 4by's with king springs, same manufacterer as the series 2000, also been in a GU with lovells, the lovells were the only ones that are on par with the dobinsons.
Keep in mind that different spring and shock packages work differently on different vehicles. ie. another brand of shock on mine would likely change the feel of the whole setup.
Getting suspension set-up correct on any vehicle is an art in itself, and unfortunately is largely found by trial and error. Also keeping in mind most people will tell you that the aftermarket suspension that they had fitted to there car is 'really good'.
I am sure there are better setups out there than mine, I just haven't been for a ride in them yet to know any different.
Helps if you have a couple of mates with prado's with different combinations in that you could go for a test run in.
I can vouch for the toughness and stability that both the shocks and springs provide though, both are excellent.
My apologies if my answer seems a bit long winded and vague, I don't know if you read 4wd monthly, but Roothy tried to do a segment on suspension, after about 3 pages he still didn't have a definitive answer to the 'ideal package', unfortunately that is the nature of suspension.
I have spent years trying to sort it on my dirt bikes, and cars are no different.
If you go to post 24178, that may give you more ammo for dealing with the suspension dealers and a little more knowledge you can store away for yourself.
Good luck with it all and I hope I've at least been of some little help.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 377960

Reply By: kev.h - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:00

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:00
Thanks Pezza
You confirm what i suspected, we attempted the trip down from Laura back in 2002 but only went a short way when we realised some of the cars in our group were not up to it( we also had two not so experienced drivers) so we turned around and followed the main track to Chillicoe but never got back to Maytown pity
this time we hoped to go north through that way but may be best to follow the better track
Thanks for your reply
Kev
AnswerID: 122575

Follow Up By: Member - Reto (Switz.) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:21

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:21
Hi Kev

So, we did some years ago. We hit the track from Maitland Downs to Maytown. The plan was to go further to Laura on the old coach line. After winching up the troopie on the first hill after crossing the North Palmer river, we decided to turn back on the main track. It was in early May an the track to Laura was hardly washed away after the wet.

Unforgettable is a talk to some blokes, still working in a mine on the Palmer. You will find some pictures on my website
Goldfields on the Palmer River

Cheers from Switzerland
Reto
FollowupID: 377816

Follow Up By: kev.h - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 18:27

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 18:27
Thanks Reto
Great pictures & great website
Cheers Kev
FollowupID: 377934

Sponsored Links