Test drove new Pathfinder today.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 15:14
ThreadID: 25102 Views:1895 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Yes it is true I just got back from a t/d in the new Pathie.

Overall I like the thing better in the flesh than the photos I had seen. Real smart alloys and the nudge on this one was nicely done. Interior had the typicl cheap Nissan plastic finish too it with that oh so slippery rear cargo area where crap would slide everywhere. Seemed to pull strong in the V6 but I noticed the rear really sat down and squatted under heavy accelleration which felt weird as a driver.

I would certainly buy one ahead of the Kluger as it is bigger and better looking although build quality is a raffle .

Anybody else test driven one ?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:01

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:01
Hi,

Had a look at one recently and thought it was pretty good. Nissan have upped the size a fair bit.

Not knocking the Kluger here but the Pathfinder is a true 4wd with a dual range gearbox.

Apparently the V6 develops an awesome number of KW. For what it is worth I thought the previous Pathfinder was a great car and probably under-rated by many.

I am interested to hear from anyone who gets or has one what the real fuel usage figures will be on the new V6 model.
AnswerID: 122304

Reply By: Moggs - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:04
Nup, too ugly! Although it is probably a better vehicle than the old Pathy I cannot bring myself to sit in something that looks like a tarted up plastic brick. Some of the Pathy Club guys have spent some time looking them over and are also concerned with build quality / finish on the interior. Apparantly one new Pathy that had been flogged around by the Nissan Reps and then taken to a private viewing for interested parties already had the drivers side kick board busted and hanging off. Centre console was also a bit dodgy. At least they took the Pathy back to a ladder chasis and offer a diesel - don't reckon it will set any sales records though - even with the big Nissan marketing push. Gotta love that 'tread lightly' Nissan ad that slams the front end into the track LOL
AnswerID: 122305

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 16:07
I cannot bring myself to sit in something that looks like a tarted up plastic brick

You would hate the 100 series then LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the new landrover EVEN WORSE!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!
FollowupID: 377497

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:43

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:43
Don't forget the Prado there truckster...... lol

And yes I totally agree with Moggs about the Nissan ads featuring these things fairly leaping around the tracks. Bit OTT I thought. I like punting my Prado down tracks as much as the next bloke and I am sure it will take the thrashing but it is whether my stomach will survive being thrown around that much and how much it shakes the beer up in the fridge!

Tread Lightly.....yeah right!

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 377749

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 16:33

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 16:33
I think the thing looks nice on the road, haven't seen the interior, although the plastic look as many call it is the norm, sooner or later your gunna have to get used to it or keep driving your old car until it does, plastic aint going away to all those people that don't like it. I would think the V6 would guzzel petrol like the Prado, the diesel would be my choice. Seems like a lot of car for the money.
AnswerID: 122569

Reply By: Moggs - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:31

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:31
One of the Pathfinder Club guys was also syaing that he was surprised to find that the new Pathy has a platic fuel tank - with no protection at all. What the???
AnswerID: 122581

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:03

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:03
Hi Moggs,

Yeah that's right. I had a close look at one in dealer two weeks ago and the plastic fuel tank was a surprise to me. They are becoming the norm in passenger vehicles but I was surprised to see it on this vehicle. It sits quite low, held in place by two straps on LHS. There is no skid plate or leading edge protection.

I know that the wall thikcness on these tanks is reasonable, however I don't know how it is going to stand up to repeated stone impact from gravel roads or offroad thumps. I imagine that a stone shield / skid plate will become a popular aftermarket product, though not one in the Nissan accesory list. The current Pathy has some good aftermarket tank options, so this could be another idea. Probably a while before aftermarket stuff becomes available.

There is also no room under the bonnet for a 2nd battery (petrol or diesel).

Hugh
FollowupID: 377815

Sponsored Links