Googs track

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 19:49
ThreadID: 25114 Views:2029 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,
Am planning a trip up googs track and along the railway line next March. I was wondering if anyone has towed a camper trailer up the track or will the sand dunes make it too tough on my petrol Prado.

Thanks in advance
Rossco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:05
Have previously done Googs Track - twice without a trailer and once with.

I did not have any problems with towing the trailer.

Driving is more difficult travelling North than South. I travelled North.

The track was made by Goog Denton and Dennis Beatey and there is a bit of a story behind it. Goog is now deceased. The last time I saw Dennis he was living in Penong.

As to whether your Prado will make it - a mate did it in an old Holden Panel Van so it should do it easily.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 122416

Reply By: Casnat - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:45

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 22:45
Hi Rossco,

I have never towed a camper trailer in my life (prefer to swag it) so can't comment from experience in that regard but I have travelled Googs in May travelling South to North and didn't find any of the dunes overly challenging. Most of it probably doesn't really require 4WD (although we did run that way for the good of the track). The last stretch where you turn right and run to the dog fence is badly corrugated but apart from that its an easy (but still worth doing) run.

In terms of your planning, there are numerous spots along the middle part of the track where you can find a flat spot to camp, you don't have to just work on the marked spots at the lake and Mt Finke.

When planning our trip I found Googs is so far from everything that it is a long drive to get there, you do the track, and then wonder where to go from there.

We left from Adelaide, basically just drove on the blacktop for a day and camped 1st night Laura Bay Cons Pk (near Ceduna). 2nd Night half way along Googs in a flat spot off the track. 3rd night in the scrub off the road just down from Glendambo (no fences so bush bashed about a km or so off the road), then Woomera, Andamooka and the station track to Mulgaria around the top of Lake Torrens to the last night at Farina then home. Wasn't a bad trip and an interesting diversion home. The other possibility is the Gawler Ranges but we had been there before (interesting country but not challenging from an offroad sense).

You mention following the railway. Not sure which direction you are talking about but I believe permission is probably required.

Have a good trip

Trevor
AnswerID: 122432

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:03
Some of the dunes between Goog's Lake and Mt Finke might be a bit of a challenge while towing but I wouldn't think it impossible (I can't be sure because I don't tow). It's not like you're pulling a trailer up Big Red or Callcup.
AnswerID: 122440

Follow Up By: Casnat - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:51

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 23:51
I actually recall the last stretch after Mt Finke (heading North) and after the salt lake that the track skirts (not talking about Googs lake which is at the other end) having the bigger dunes (but still not being that huge)

FollowupID: 377611

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:37

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:37
My first sand trip with a camper trailer was Goog's and it went ok - a few dunes at the top end required a little practice (further north, slightly higher, but none are a problem - once in the groove, we were fine). As said above, there's not a lot else in the Goog's region - if I were to go back I'd spend a night at both Goog's Lake and Mt Finke - do a bit of walking and climbing etc. The Gawler's are ok - nice camps up around Chilunie in the N Park - all easy going - plenty of scope for walking etc. Far as I know, the railway line west from Malbooma is still closed to tourists. See trek notes here from Michelle's research.
AnswerID: 122478

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:45

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:45
Rossco,

I towed the Trak Shak fully loaded up ther 18 months ago with Prado Diesel and had two problems. Both my fault. 1st was underestimating how long the dune was and it wound around a corner. Pain reversing back. And the second was near Mt Finke it was gibbers so I thought the sand had finished and aired up oinly to find another decent dune a few k down the track.

Like all desert/ sand it will vary from season to season and how much it has been used and with what tyre pressure but all in all you should not havbe a problem.

I would camp at the lakes or Mt Finlke or both. Depends when you leave Ceduna and how much of a hurry you are in but it is a pleasant drive and if at the right time the flowers including Sturt desert pea are beutifull.
AnswerID: 122491

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:47

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:47
Forgot to say if you want some photo's email me at dsh88914 at bigpond dot net dot au
FollowupID: 377656

Sponsored Links