can you turn an ARB bullbar into a winch bar?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 16:59
ThreadID: 25139 Views:5130 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
can you turn an ARB bullbar into a winch bar? I remember reading somewhere that you can fit a winch to a non-winch bar. anyone have info on this?
thanks,
S & N.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:18

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 17:18
S&N,
Don't think so, the bars are made differently. As far as I know.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 122580

Reply By: locallaw - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 18:54

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 18:54
Gidday,What brand of 4by is it and what model.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 122595

Reply By: GRAEME - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:23

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 21:23
YEP.
Well I did it. I just cut some holes and put in some reinforcment between the bar and the winch. I also filed a bit off the winch mounting so so it would fit in because the bar wasn't wide enough, from top to bottom.
Graeme.
AnswerID: 122623

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 23:03

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 23:03
Give it a good work out under controlled conditions before going remote bush.
I mean pulling up a steep sandy embankment. Hate to see you rip the front off in the middle of a creek.

No reflection on the job done, I'm sure it's been done with best endeavour & skill. However, test to max.
FollowupID: 377804

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 06:35

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 06:35
Yes it can be done. I have on mine , I like the slim fit bullbar infront of a larger winch bar. There is no diffrence in strength if you add a little re enforcement .

What you need to do , is sit the winch in the bar to center it . Then you need to cut 2 slots at the bottom of the bar so the winch can sit flush. Then you need to cut to steel plates around 1 " wide and about 10mm thick. Weld these to the inside of the bar , were the winch will bolt to. Drill wholes through the bar and these plates for mounting. Then cut a slot up top so you can watch the cable when you re wind the winch and another slot is need up front were the rollers sit .

I use my winch around 15 to 20 times a year, mostly to pull out clowns and havent had a problem .
AnswerID: 122654

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:12

Friday, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:12
Of course you can!! No different to adding a winch to an ally bar! If you dont want to go to all the trouble of re-enforcing the front of your bar and making up the mounts...then just drop a winch plate in behind the steel bar. Most winches (Warn definately) come with the simple instruction for the winch mount plate (just a large piece of angle with the mounting holes measured and drilled).

Fit that with winch and then cut out the access holes in your original bar for the wire, viewing slot and the freespool lever recess. Bolt the roller or hawse fairleed to the front of your bar, remount and you are sweet!! Ends up the same as an ally mount!!

Matt.
AnswerID: 122698

Sponsored Links