Engel Vs Waeco

Submitted: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 253 Views:9966 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I need some help in selecting my fridge out of the above two (engel and waeco) I would be looking at the 40 to 45 litre models and I need to know which is really better. Engels do have the market share but I think that has been for a very good reason yet I am hearing good stories about waeco as well.

Confused
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Tim,
I cant speak for the Waeco as I know nothing about them but I have a 39 litre Engel which has been excellent. Weve taken it over some very severe corrigations, through the Kimberley including the Mitchell Plateau and also over the Gunbarrel Highway and its never missed a beat. I wouldnt go past Engel. Theyve got the reputation, as you say, for very good reason. Cheers, Brian.
AnswerID: 554

Reply By: Brett- Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 29, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Tim,
I looked at them all and ended up with a Waeco FF40. This is the German Built one where as the CCF 45 is built in Asia somewhere. The FF40 is a different shape than the other one and is a little higher and the black grill thing ,what ever it is called, appears to have a good surface area and is exposed unlike the CCF model which is enclosed within the cabinet.
They are fitted with the Danfoss motor and if you like you can easily modify the electrics to provide a few more functions.
If you want some of this info drop me an email.

I have had the fridge in the troopy and turned on since the day we got it and are very happy with it . Do get the insulated cover it will help to maintain shorter running periods and protect the unit from rubs and scratches.
I got the fridge complete with 240v power supply and insulated bag from Opposite lock while at a Show and paid $949.00. Which at the time was $250.00 less than the Engles.

Good luck

Brett
stt@comcen.com.au
AnswerID: 555

Reply By: john- Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Tim,I have just brought a new 40ltr engel replaceing my 12year old one.I leave it running in a troopy all the time the amount of power it uses compare to the old one is amazeing as the truck is often left days with out running,even thou the weather is cool now.I have a mate who is a fridge mechanic his view is that parts and agents are Aust wide and 250 dollars over the life of a fridge is not much for peace of mind.Sold the old one for 400 dollars,my mate also said bags are a waste of money and serve no use other to stop dents and straches.john
AnswerID: 560

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 00:00
Tim,

Confusing isnt it ? And asking owners for advice is a little like asking whether a Landcruiser or a Patrol is better at a 4WD club meeting :+)

The differences between the two are not that easy to define except that the Engel appears to be more substantial in its construction. Certaily its over-centre catches are more rugged than the Waecos esky lid style. The compressor motors are comparably efficient and Waeco does have the benefit of the Danfoss compressor which is widely used and known to be reliable.

What you need to do is look at how you plan to use the fridge. If you are going to be bouncing around on corrugations for significant periods of time then the more rugged Engel seems to be a good option. However, if you are using the fridge for weekends and the family holiday then saving the extra money by purchasing the Waeco seems to be the best option.

Good luck with your decision.

Joe
AnswerID: 561

Reply By: John Wood - Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00
Tim, a question that many would like answered as you can see by the amount of questions in the forum.Check back on previous requests for more replies.
I have a 39l Engel that has seen some pretty rough trips and has never failed. The only problems that i have come across in Engels that my friends have were 1. bolts rattling loose in the compressor area in a very old Engel and 2. a broken wire in the moulded 12v power lead plug which we were able to fix easily.
I have seen some pretty bashed about Engels in the back of utes and trays but they still go. Will the Waeco withstand heavy use (abuse)? I believe that whatever fridge you buy if you treat it with a bit of care potential problems will be reduced.
Good luck with your purchase.John
AnswerID: 563

Reply By: Bede Mayanrd - Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00

Tim, like others I have a 39ltr Engel. It has been all round Australia since buying in 1992 and I can
attest to the rugged construction. At Oodnadatta in 1993 I forgot to unplug from 240v power and
drove off. The Engel went out the barn doors of my cruiser, did a backward somersalt with a half
twist and landed quite heavily on its lid. I picked it pluged it back in and it has been running like
new ever since. A 70amp deep cycle battery supplies power to the fridge and we havent flattened
the battery yet.

AnswerID: 566

Reply By: Brett - Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00

I did the same with the 34 cm television, I thought it would be off to the big TV retirement villiage as it came apart......2 pieces on the ground. I looked at all the bits nothing seemed out of place so I gaffer taped it back together and it had been going well for the last 4 years..
AnswerID: 569

Reply By: Graham - Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 02, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Tim,
It is all too hard. I looked at all the options and decided to go with the Explorer fridge/freezer. It is locally made (Maryborough Qld.) has a rugged raw marine grade aluminium finish (no need for a protection cover)seperate freezer section complete with seperate control. If you require a fridge for rugged conditions with excellent performance, you could do a lot worse. Good luck
AnswerID: 579

Reply By: Mike Pavey - Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Tim
I purchased a Waeco CCF40 recently after reviewing the market. My heart told me to buy the Trailbaza 60 litre for it's value for money & rugged construction, (starting at around $1300) but at the end of the day it wouldn't fit into the space I had available.
I borrowed a Liemack that I wasn't particularly impressed with. It had the grunt but the thermostat would run to 6 degrees (when set on 1 degree) before the fridge would start. I also found it noisy.
The Waeco is very efficient and so, so quiet. It has a digital thermostat which seems to be more reliable/accurate than the mechanical ones and will start the fridge if the temparatures drops a degree or so. I purchased a digital inside/outside temperature guage that sits inside the car, providing car interior and fridge internal temperatures via a wire that runs into the fridge. It helps preventing you freezing your lettuce which I did on my first outing.
It's disadvantages are: no tie down points, poor fridge lock design and cigarette attachment construction. I purchased the fridge recently on special for $679 incl 240v adapter and a further $100 for the insulated cover, which has some tie down attachments. Don't forget Waeco are the biggest manufacturer's of fridges in the world, hence I reckon you would be safe in purchasing their products. To date I am very happy with the performance of the fridge and believe it is a worthy competitor to Engel. You also can't put a value on pulling out a icy cold one at the end of a hard days travel.
AnswerID: 664

Sponsored Links