Satellite TV Reception

Submitted: Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2541 Views:2520 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience with the Campersat Satellite TV products? I am thinking of buying one for an outback trip.

I have also seen a product called Abrolga.

There is a Campersat model which is fitted through the roof of the caravan and adjusted from inside. I am concerned that under extreme vibration on rough roads, the mounting might have some problems.

Any comments on Satellite TV in general, the roof mounted Campersat or alternative TV aerials will be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00
Hey, Peter, I know someone asking the same question.

Whereabouts you located.
AnswerID: 9373

Follow Up By: Flappan - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

Peter, bit of info for you.

My parents have just bought an Abrogla Unit. Spent a fair time looking around and this seemed to be the unit for them.

Comes in a suitcase so is very portable, rather then being stuck on a roof.

Works on a Decoder and Smartcard System, which theoretically allows you to get Foxtel/Austar as well (using their smartcards). Haven't yet seen it in action, as still waiting on delivery.
FollowupID: 4742

Reply By: Buddha - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

I'm in Melbourne
AnswerID: 9374

Reply By: OziExplorer - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

A subject I am most interested in, but find it nearly impossible to get a decent reply.
I hear you can get the ABC, SBS and commercial channels free to air, but cannot find information or what to buy.
AnswerID: 9375

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:00

Each to their own, when I go away, I want to 'GET AWAY' from all the crap and bulls*it on the news about 4wd killas, and deadly 4b's, and other forms of bleep ...

Oh and get the HELL away from american CRAP on our stations.. but then again Home and away or Neighbours is about the best aussie can do? Kill me now.....

AnswerID: 9377

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster you are just getting old and bitter and twisted with it. Lighten up and enjoy life and all the benifits of living. You are here for a short time so make it a good time and enjoy it.

There is lots of good stuff on TV, you just have to be selective on what you watch. I do like to see the evening news and some of the docos' they have. SBS has some excellent stuff at times and so does the ABC.
FollowupID: 4757

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Ozi,

I'll be honest with you... I hate FAKE laughter in modern shows, which is anything out of the USA.... I like the way they did it in the 70's and 80's...

To me there is nothing but Married with Children (TV1!) worth a pinch of whale spit.

According to TV bleep coms, America must have the oldest school kids on earth...

Most of them shows are so much the same, I think they swap scripts.. SEEN 1 SEEN EM ALL...

Biter and twisted, the wide says that too....and Im only 34!
FollowupID: 4763

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

I'm with you, Truckster!!
When I go bush I go to LOOK at a Brolga - don't take it with me. Also prefer skippies to Skippy.

Reckon I do a better travelling job than 'The Leyland Brothers' and definitely try to be my own 'Bush Tucker Man'.

'Neighbours' are for getting away from and 'Home and Away' are simply two different stages of my life...

'Big Brother' tries to spoil all my fun and 'The News' is what I get from
local people about the tracks I want to travel...... :)
AnswerID: 9382

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

hee hee.. I actually have a Les Hiddens hat too :)

he is genuine and facinating to watch!

Big Brother, Survivor etc.... BEEN DONE KILL IT..

To me it seems all TV is aimed at the 12-20yr old felame group, or the shemales amongst the rest of us....
FollowupID: 4764

Follow Up By: Bruce - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
yep I couldnt agree more , we go campimg to have a rest from all the rubbish on the tv , nothing is better than sitting beside a campfire with a drop of red ned and listening to the sounds of the bush and watching the stars...cheers
FollowupID: 4787

Follow Up By: Lux - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

What tv for the bush, my tv is the camp fire, sunsets, sounds, and a nice cold VB..thats what it's all about..
FollowupID: 4789

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Lux, Im campin with you!

Sounds EXACTLY what I like.

And bull bleep stories about the days travel getting there....
FollowupID: 4799

Reply By: royce - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

I live in the bush, travel in the bush and holiday in the bush. When I travel for work... a bit of TV would make life nice. I used to watch THE news, THE bill and THE panel. Now the news and the panel. The bill died. THE fat might take its place. Seriously.... I prefer not to have TV, KIDS WITH CAR SOUND SYSTEMS, and generators when I'm in the bush, but there are times on the road when a bit of TV would go down well. Keep us informed on the dish. {THE dish ... was a good movie too!}. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 9422

Reply By: John - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

I use a portable Sat dish ( Pay TV Size 90cm ), for my work.
I find it very easy to set up using an in line sat finder (Promax) that can be obtained from WES Components in Sydney (about $150 bucks).
The Bird we use is Optus B3 and is roughly north.
I set it up about 3 or 4 times a week and only takes about 2 to 5 mins to set the dish up and aim it.
I have seen a lot of folks take their Pay decoder with them to have Access to the News, Weather and stuff for the kids while you sit somewhere else and enjoy your beer.
Also some nice Radio Stations on Pay as well.
One of the other things I have heard, is that it is a great way to speed up your remote Internet conection......Uplink via cell or satphone and downlink (where most of the work is) via the decoder......
I must admitt I too love the Quite and peace of camping, but I also love the fact that I can take the Technology with me if I like...

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 9435

Follow Up By: Member - Keith - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 18:25

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 18:25
John, I was interested to read your reply because I have been looking at sat TV for the caravan and I am a bit confused. I was told that I would have to sign up with Foxtel or similar, then get a disk, then get a dish aiming device (I was told that this device would cost about $1,000), then take the Foxtel decoder with me and use it to get the signal. This seemed to me to be expensive and complex. As a result, I did nothing. Would appreciate your comments. thanks.
FollowupID: 6633

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:03
jonsa have a 30cm portable dish...it does work on horizontal as long as youve got a good quality lnb...satworld has them...i had aplay with one they are very cute...comes in its own briefcase...big rubber suction cup onit for mountin on the car etc...sorry no pic of it
cheers
AnswerID: 11647

Reply By: JohnH - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:51

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:51
G'day Keith,
What almost everybody does is, Get the install done at your house and then purchase another Dish and LNB (The bit that bolts to the dish that colects the signal).
The New Dish and LNB can be brought seperatly from a number of places, ie places that sell TV antennas etc...for about $150 complete.
The next thing you will need is an inline sigal strenght meter that can be brought from somwhere like WES components in Ashfield Sydney for about $150 bucks also.......I would recomend buying only the PROMAX brand meter, as the cheaper ones are really difficult to use and very problematic in their use (You DO NOT require an expensive frequency selectable reciever unit to line up a sat dish.......The expensive ones are selective ie they can tune to a certain frequency and pick out a certain satilite.......you don't have to do that.....if you get a strong signal and nothing comes up on the TV monitor, you must be on the wrong Satilite, so just move on to the next one....very simple really).
You can then take the decoder from your house setup and use it in conjunction with the new dish and Meter.
They are very easy to line up, and after a bit of practice you will have a strong signal in less than a minute.
The Optus B3 satilite that carries all the pay TV Signals is approximately north and about 40 to 50 degrees elevation, depending on the latitude you are at.
Be warned though, that the further north you go, the weaker the sinal gets.......so its wise to check the local area you are going to, to see if they get the signal you are after ie Foxtel etc......
There are various other options if you just want the news or SBS, Imarja or 7 Central etc that have pretty much the whole of the mainland covered.

Good luck
John
AnswerID: 11727

Sponsored Links