Fire threat for High Country

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2545 Views:962 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is any one up to date on any bush fire threat in the High Country? I haven't heard of any bushfires down that way this summer. I imagine there would be a total fire ban. Any info gratefully accepted. Cheers, Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:00
So far we have been unbelievably lucky. I thought the storms the other day may have started some spot fires, but nothing.
I was speaking to the CFA in Sale on Thursday and discussing how good it had been so far. They have had a few spots in the southern region, but I don't believe we have had any in the central or northern region. Let's hope it stays this way.
AnswerID: 9391

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
I think expecting no fires is a little naive...

Theres a 90% chance they will and if they do they will be BIG... Anyone who has been up there recently will see how dead and how much fuel is on the ground... Its sad but true, it will happen and when it does, you wouldnt wanna be around!

As Ozi says lets hope not.
AnswerID: 9400

Follow Up By: Scotty - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
I don't know where you pulled 90% from Truckster. There is no more fuel than in other summers and just prior to last winter there was a heap of back burning in the Stirling and surrounding area. I live at Merrijig and the place here is so wet that it is all muddy. We have had about 6 inches of rain in the last week. Thursday and Friday we had 4 inches of snow and before that 2 inches of hail. It only just melted this morning. It was snowing down to 600 metres for 15 hours. The fire danger at Merrijig is medium currently. You should always have an escape plan and listen to regional radio and UHF repeaters as fire info is put on these mediums as soon as the danger increases. Scott
0
FollowupID: 4779

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
I don't know where you pulled 90% from Truckster. There is no more fuel than in other summers and just prior to last winter there was a heap of back burning in the Stirling and surrounding area.

That makes sense. If theres been back burning then there would be less fuel than previously wouldnt it?

I spent 12 yrs as rural firey, I sorta know when things are good and when bad. 90% chance every yr that there will be a fire up there... 10% chance of no fires, is the miracle of pi$$ing down rain for around 2-3 weeks straight.

Our club had a trip up there few weeks ago(well the trip report was on Wed night) they crossed 14 streams, and didnt wet the hubs once... Thats how little moisture there is up there at the moment.

Last time I was up Woods Point thru to Mansfield we were discussing the fuel levels with others, and the local fire capt around Heyfield joined our club last week, and was mentioning its rather heavy fuel ratio on the ground at the moment up there..

Remember... Back burning is only a precaution, it doesnt save everything.. It usually burns the fuel off the ground, but leaves the crowns alone...

0
FollowupID: 4780

Reply By: royce - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
I've been a CFA volunteer for about 14 years, so have some interest in this. Here's the problem..... Crying Wolf... Every year we are told that it's looking like a bad year for bushfires. Last year it was because of the extra growth due to more rains. This year it's because it's drier than usual. Forget percentages. EVERY YEAR THERE WILL BE BUSHFIRES.... WHERE THERE IS BUSH THERE CAN BE A BUSHFIRE. All you need is a 40 degree day and wind. Anything..... even green stuff will burn. Fire needs: heat, fuel and oxygen. So Phil, take it for granted that there is going to be a danger of bushfires anytime you head off into the High Country. I think they had a fire north of Licola a few weeks back which lasted for days. You travel into lush wet forest and in a couple of hot days it becomes a tinder box. So in summer..... no fires ..... unless you check with rangers and have an open, flat, bare area with not dry stuff anywhere near. Even then you keep it small and in a pit, with shovels and a bucket of water handy. It's just common sense really. Go to the high country and enjoy. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 9421

Reply By: dock - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00
Phil, I was talking to a ranger last week about any further restrictions on fires apart from the normal ones in the high country and he said that at this stage there were none.His main concern was that the fire should never be unattended and to make sure it was put out! As scotty said there has been some good rain in the last couple of weeks.Went up from the Whitfield side on the weekend, the country looked a treat,but we shouldn't be complacent as we don't want another Caledonia fire. P.S. Have heard that there is a total fire ban along the Murray downstream of Yarrawonga. Can anyone shed some light on this? Cheers Dock.
AnswerID: 9462

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)