Simpson Desert

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2551 Views:1543 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Is a crossing of the Simpson do-able between X-mas and New Year, or would it be stupidity to do it at that time of year. I've just got back from a trip which included Birdsville and while it was hot it was not oppressive heat. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
I would think that it would be stupid. The sand will be red hot and dry and will make dune crossing very hard. It will be hard on our vehicle with the engine and trnsmission components getting very hot. If you want a risky venture that you can brag about and want to risk it do it. If you want to enjoy the desert don't.
After numerous trips in that area and several crossing over all the tracks I would not reccommend it.
AnswerID: 9425

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Stupid is not the word applicable here - MORONIC - MAJOR MALFUNCTION or something like that would be far more suitable a term.

Just give me your route details, and when I come through in May next year I will pick up your dehydrated dryed out corpses. Would not be the first time I have done this, and will not be the last. YES, I am being dead serious.

What do they say about, only fools and the British out in the deserts in the mid-day summer sun. The story goes something like that. Find me in the Vic High Country in summer where the sensible go.
FollowupID: 4800

Follow Up By: Richard - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00
HEY! OZIEXPLORER, bit of an overzealous response there. I only asked a question because I wanted some advice, isn't that what this forum is for? A simple no with the reasons would have done, not the carry-on you've just displayed. By the way, I guess we'll all be reading about you in the papers when you get killed by a raging bushfire that passes through all that "nice,cool, green, tree covered area" .
FollowupID: 4826

Follow Up By: Axel + Karen - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00
Ozi ,the actual saying is " only mad dogs and englishmen go out into the midday sun" T.H. Lawrence......and you proclaim to be educated with a Phd. More ego than expertise once again,, as for you picking up bodies in the simpson,,please tell us more,,
FollowupID: 4905

Follow Up By: Gt - Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00
Axel + Karen, You've got both the quote and the person that said it wrong. It's from the song, "Mad dogs and Englishmen" by Noel Coward. The line isn't "only mad dogs and englishmen go out into the midday sun", it's "mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun" and "but mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun". Also who is T.H. Lawrence? Did you mean D.H. Lawrence?
FollowupID: 5049

Reply By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00

Richard, Living not that far from Birdsville, well half a days drive, our temps are similar to theirs, and daytime in the Simpson is not the best place to be. As stated, dunes would be hot and next to impassable. Down in amongst sandhills would often be devoid of any cooling wind. Your vehicle would be under extreme stress, and risk of breakdown highly probable. Not only that the desert wouldn't be too scenic, except early and late in the day.

Then, what about the people who would have to come and get you? Not fair on them, eh! Last Tuesday, my wife and I had to attend a rollover a few clicks from the house. Even with a tarp set up for shade, it was bloody hot, and we were only sitting around, tending the injured driver, until the Doctor arrived. turned out it was 51*C on verandah of house! If you were digging yourself out of numerous sandhills, your energy output would be as great as your need for plenty of fluids.

Leave it, Richard, and come back after it rains, it'll be cooler then. Regards....
AnswerID: 9430

Follow Up By: Richard - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Bob, more the kind of answer I was looking for [along with Lindsays], Will do that. You obviously didn't see a green GU Patrol passing through because I didn't hear from you...didn't need you to send out the Landcruiser either. Believe it or not, the Patrol never had any problems. Can't understand why ???
FollowupID: 4827

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00
Amen to the above - all remote activity can turn into drama at any time - in high summer, the potential most be huge. That heat is not just irritating to people- it woud have to stress out most mechanical factors too.
As a volunteer base operator with the VKS737 Network I'm aware that there are several vehicles out on the Anne Beadell as I tap (going west to Laverton. There was a guy on the QAA line on the wekend too.
It could easily turn as hot now, as it will be later in the summer - sounds chancy to me.....Onyezorl...dp
AnswerID: 9514

Reply By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Richard, Pleased the trip went well, and the Patrol didn't embarrass you in front of these toyotas up here. We're a click or so off the road, so often don't see vehicles going past unless we're looking towards the bypass, or see the dust. Have about 30 sq km of sandhills here that you could have had a look at, maybe next time. Will have a tojo turbo work ute next year to rescue you.

This a land of change alright, after a couple of weeks of clear, HOT weather, today started with a duststorm, until mid morning, and temps didn't get over 38*C. Would have been good travelling towards Big Red!
Regards...
AnswerID: 9544

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00

Richard, I suppose you've already go the answer loud and clear from everyone else, but I've only just read your qn and would like to add my bit please and that is to take into consideration that even the locals in Birdsville clear out (I mean go south to Adelaide or Sydney) from end October - March. It's just foul to life in at that time.

Now Birdsville you've experienced, but for how long? Did you experience a bad dust storm? I've lived there myself for 3mths and its pretty bad in Spring/Summer and that's just the edge of the desert. The biggest drama is that the dunes actually become very difficult to cross. This year the Simpson took one of the biggest thrashings from public traffic that I've ever heard off. I talk regularly with the Desert Parks Ranger and he's quite concerned. The condition of the major French Line crossing this year was extremely rough due to such a dry season (and we experienced this ourselves this season, rough already in June!!!).

In answer to your question it is 'do able" but at extreme risk and extreme discomfort. There are no trees that can shade your vehicle, the days are longer and unless you need to cross to get somewhere then there is no "enjoyment" to be gained from the trip at this time of year. I know of another ExplorOz user is has to do the trip at this time, a pom too!! (yes, but he's a scientist!) but if you have a requirement to cross the country then there's little choice. If its purely because you have the time and want to go that way one day, then don't choose this time to do it. The reasons have been said.

Enjoy Xmas whatever you do, but I hope its not in the Simpson.
AnswerID: 9552

Sponsored Links