travelling with kids

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2554 Views:2609 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
my wife and i are considering a trip around australia with a 4 wheel drive and caravan and taking our two children 7and 8 yrs old has any one done this and if so how did you go with schooling on the road ? any tips would be appreciated . also best type of towing vehicle , deisel ,or deisel turbo ? thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00
We were stopped at times for anywhere between six weeks and six months at places, and the kids (2) just went to the local school. They never suffered, they only went forward as they learnt so much travelling. In the end they both ended up ahead of other children. One got to be two years ahead and the other one one year ahead. What happenened the school they went to was not as advanced as the one they had come from, and consequently were to far ahead on the work so they put them up to the next grade.

Best type of rig, really depends on what you are towing and what over requirements you have of it. Diesel is sure of preference, and turbo diesel does give you more grunt up the hills. Also depends if you are buying new or second hand. I sometimes think peoples likes and desires gets in the way of reality when it comes to fuel consumption. These vehicles that use 20 to 25 litres per 100km towing is just over the top compared to what I am prepared to spend on fuel. We always travelled minimilist, but sure in comfort. Shower and toilet on board were always paramount to us, as we seldom stayed in caravan parks.
AnswerID: 9440

Follow Up By: Leeand Deb Millard - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

thankyou for the reply it was very helpfull, we figure we need a vehicle that is comfortable but is practicle for the job and of course reasonable on fuel,i understand the new towing rules ,is there any towing weight figures available for different 4wd as a comparison?
FollowupID: 4811

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Guys,

We've known a number of people over the years who have travelled with kids with great success. Comments we've heard have all been positive in that the children seem to develop a level of confidence and outgoing that comes from regularly meeting new people and spending much more quality time with both parents than they otherwise would at home with school and work commitments. I have also heard that away from constant exposure to TV, gameboys and a plethora of sophisticated toys, the children tend to become much more creative and use their imaginations more. Some shells, sticks, stones, leaves (whatever they can find) and they'll amuse themselves for hours. At this stage, we have only one child, still a toddler, and we would love one day to give him and his brother or sister, that kind of experience. So go for it...the kids won't suffer. They'll probably thrive.

Regards, Melissa
AnswerID: 9455

Follow Up By: Leeand Deb Millard - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00
thankyou Mellisa it seems that every one is saying the same thing that it is an opportunity for the children and us to grow together and o give the children a confidence that is so much needed in life today
FollowupID: 4922

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Lee and Deb
We have travelled twice with our children around different part of Australia for 3 months at a time. They had to keep a diary, read the maps and keep tabs on the budget.
We meet several lots of parents and children travelling who were doing distant learning, where the Education Department sent packages of work for the Children with information for the Parents. All that we spoke to said that the children were doing better than when they were in school.
Our Children benefited greatly even to were our 21 yr has plan her trip around the world from learning how to plan trips as a child
Go for it Ray
AnswerID: 9473

Thanks Ray we have already looked into the learning side and found a college called access learning at marden in SA which do just that , thanks for the vote of confidence
FollowupID: 4923

Reply By: mich - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

We have just returned from the best time of our lives, we have 3 kids 2, 8, 10, we are 33 and 37, we towed a 20 foot duel wheels roma full van, we also had a 70li waeco freezer, outboard motor and 3.2 m rubber inflatable zodia boat on the roof rack, I packed very lightly and didnt take anything i didnt use, we stayed in parks, camped in the bush, and we left the van and took tents into 4x4 country. we weighted 2.5 ton packed not bad. our tow vechicle is a 100 series toyota land cruiser 4.2l desiel.
you need a turbo we travelled at about 85-90km per hour and had a fuel consumption of about 650km per 145litres on the flat ground, we cruised in 4th gear. the kids will love the trip and they will benifit in more ways than you can say. we have decided to hit the road and travel and work before our kids get any older and that goes with us to. we have been wonting to travel for about 2 years now so we are going. our house went on the market today. we were away for 2 months and we travelled 14,000km. our kids have decided to go to local schools for longer periods as we will stay in some places for a term so they can still enjoy sports, music, art and social contact with other kids, then when we travel they will do distant eductation from what ever state we are in we have meet heaps of familys who travel and have travelled for years, our kids didnt miss anything, they were too busy being kids. we used the 5 nights only. we are looking forward to going again and so are the kids, we didnt have built in shower and toilet but we carriedf the portapota a must have. tupperware containers are the best thing to use they dont leake and they are multi purpose. i also took stainless steel bowls are the could be used to mix, serve, bake and other uses. contact me if you would like to regrd michelle

AnswerID: 9479

thankyou mich ,sounds magic thanks for thr info on the vehicle and fuel consumption and the storage tips , can i ask did you work at all while away?
FollowupID: 4924

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Deb and Lee,

David and I have encountered many people that travel with kids for both short and long periods of time (ourselves included). Before we had our own child, we spent 2 months (of our own 2 year trip) travelling with a family we met in a caravan park - they had twin 6 year old boys and of all the people I've met they were probably the best organised for kid-travel that I've met.

The had a 100 series Landcruiser, a Track Trailer (with all the ad ons) and about one year to travel around Australia. Their trailer was well packed with tubs of kids toys - mechano, craft stuff and some school books but they need the turbo. They had done kindergarten and took first grade off for travel and now when we talk, they tell me one boy is the school sports captain and the other is the dux of primary school.

I am an ex-school teacher myself (primary) and when we met, the mother jumped at the chance to have me do their lessons - they had the whole year's syllabus with them but were a bit casual after 6mths on the road. It wasn't the book or the traditional learning that made them do so well, it was the fact that the parents took every opportunity to make the trip a learning (and fun) experience. You can count anything, you can write anywhere, you can talk and explain life experiences. There is no better teacher than two parents who have time and interesting life experiences to share in the company of young children.

I wish you all the best and I'm so pleased to hear that some kids are lucky enough to have such smart parents!
AnswerID: 9487

thank you Michele ,did i read some where that your husband had a cancer scare that motivated your trip? i to have had the same scare,and i think it would be nice to spend some fun times with the family ,just in case time doesn,t permit. i'd hate to think if i wait to long to travel that i might not be able to,but isn't it silly that we need a reality check be for we start to think about getting of the round about and start thinking what is important in life , and in truth there is really nothing to stop any one from travelling if they are prepared to stop and take the first step,
FollowupID: 4930

Sponsored Links