Filter Mate 1HZ Engine Oil Filter Adaptor

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2599 Views:8724 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone else using the Filter Mate engine oil filter adaptor for Toyota 1HZ Diesels I am interested in your feedback. I have been using this device for about 50 000 Km's now and have nothing but praise for the device. It allows me to change filter every 5000 Km's as Z9 filters only cost $5 each.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00
Pity you did not phone Ryco on their 1800 number and get the specs of the original filter fitted to your engine and the Z9. Not a smart move, especially as you are obviously using cheap Z9 filters.

Fitting a bypass filter like a Baldwin or Amsoil unit, changing to synthetic lubrication as per Mobil's specs, and keeping the original filter fitted, but would let you get at least twice the service intervals out of it.

I do not know how you could possibly praise this device without stipping your engine down to see the internals. Personally, it would be the very last thing I would fit to a diesel engine, as the valving, filtering capacity, micron size of the fitering medium, and normally diesels engine filters are a two stage filtering system, wth a full flow and bypass filter in the same unit, but not down to the sub-10 micron size like the external bypass filters of the Amsoil and Baldwin which are two micron. I am glad I will not be buying your vehicle second hand.

Suggest you go over to the Overlander Technical forum and look up all the information on oil filters, bypass filters and lubrication.
http://forums.overlander.com.au/
AnswerID: 9691

Follow Up By: Allyn - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
I don't know how you manage to sound so abrasive via the written word but you sure are a master at it. In fact you sound like a right tosser !!!
I'll weed out your abusive crap and take on board the constructive information / criticism and move from there.
For the record my engine will be replaced by a 6.5 Chev V8 Diesel within 2 years so I don't really care too much about absolute ultimate filtration.
Why would you need 2 micron filtration with 5K service intervals anyway ? That's about 4 weeks driving for me and seems like overkill to say the least. I don't wish for twice the service intervals - just more regular and cheaper ones!
I respect your opinion and thank you for your input however off-putting it may be at times.
FollowupID: 5072

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Allyn, pity you find my posts read like you say they do. English is not my mother tongue, and I try to improve my English language and grammer all the time. When I reply on some of the foreign language newsgroups they think I am a little soft and what would say, woosey! Sometimes you just cannot win.
FollowupID: 5085

Reply By: Tuco69 - Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00

Allyn, go to the Ryco site and have a look at the comparison between the Z334 standard filter for your 1HZ and the Z9 that you are now using.

The Standard spin on Z9 isn't a patch on the "DUAL ELEMENT SPIN-ON" Z334 which is basically two filters in one and is used on the modern high-speed diesel engine.

http://www.ryco.co.nz/products.html#oil

http://www.ryco.co.nz/downloads/Z9Filt.pdf

http://www.ryco.co.nz/downloads/Z334.pdf

They are two completely different filters - with the Z334 being a much more modern design, capable of better filtering.
AnswerID: 9714

Follow Up By: Allyn - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

cheers, I shall check this out. thanks
The filter mate has a screen filtration system built in also and with 5ooo km service intervals I figured it should be fine. The oil seems to be okay and clean enough after changing.
FollowupID: 5051

How the oil looks at changing is no indication whatsoever of the condition of the oil.

What is that screen size in the Filtermate going to do for you that the Z9 will not?
FollowupID: 5057

Reply By: royce - Sunday, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:00

OWcH! all the above must hurt a bit Allyn. Even with all the techinical data provided.... it's still just numbers. I would love some research information as to whether the superduper double spin finer micron filters are necessary. I guess I would err on the side of safety though and use the standard filter.
AnswerID: 9734

Royce there is more information on the net about requiring better filtration than you could possibly absorb. Go and do the research yourself and see for yourself if you do not believe what people are quoting.
Do you think that manufacturers would put on a filter of that type and quality if it was not needed. As a matter of fact, the original filter is not good enough for long term engine protection, and hence why smart people add a bypass filter to the system.
FollowupID: 5056

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Royce, do you really think that Toyota would go to the new double design on all its new engines without research! Get real!
FollowupID: 5059

Follow Up By: Georg - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Just wondering,who's on top,Ozi or Tuco ?
FollowupID: 5069

Boy Georg, people post here seeking advice from others. You reply with the best available information, and then you get rabbited for it. Strange custom you Australians have. Is this the tall poppy syndrome they constantly talk about. I do apoligise for being educated and constantly striving to learn and improve myself. Maybe you should try it.
FollowupID: 5087

Sponsored Links