best mapping option for a year of travel round oz

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2615 Views:1903 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day;

I am travelling around Oz for one year leaving in 6 weeks and am wondering what the best option is for buying a comprehensive set of maps. I intend to circumnavigate OZ and do some of the desert. I have a laptop, is it best to use a CD map? Or is there a comprehensive paper map that comes in a book, rather than having hundereds of individual maps lying around? Please let me know what you guys use....

many thanks
\
adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
I use predominantly digital maps, starting with the Natmap 250k series.
http://www.auslig.gov.au/products/maps/raster250k/ - $99.00
Then I have a heap of others in different resolutions. For example you can get the Statewide for N.S.W. for $29.95. Statewide has street level and state mapping for the whole of N.S.W. VicRoads has a similiar product available.

I use the software OziExplorer www.oziexplorer.com with my laptop and in the vehicle run OziExplorer on my iPaq as you can see the screen in full bright sunlight. I have my GPS connected to my iPaq and it updates your position every second. They have a good bundle here on the ExplorOz shop with OziExplorer and the Natmap maps and some other goodies.
AnswerID: 9754

Follow Up By: Bruce - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Bruce here fom California, just found a Magellan Sportpro at our local Discount Store complete with dash mount, PC interface, USA CD for $169.00 (real US $$$). I ordered Raster CD's and OziExplorer software last week. I am assuming that I will have no problem using it in Australia, my previous GPS, an old Magellan had no problems anywhere in world after intitial setup for the region, but i basically used it for lat/long readings. What are the downloads people talk about on the forum?

Thanks

Bruce
FollowupID: 5079

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Bruce no problems at all. I would suggest you see if your Magellan SporTrak has the new case. If it has not, suggest you contact Magellan and get a replacment before you leave. The SporTrak is an excellent GPS with supurb reception, and on a par with only a handful of others.
UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) is the predomininet navigational system used here, and is no problem to setup in OziExplorer with UTM. The Grid feature is OziExplorer is good, as you can set it up for any size meterage to suit the grid lines on the maps. If you are not familiar with UTM, here is a good link.
http://www.rmru.org/faq13.htm

Here are the *.MAP files for the Natmap maps:
CD1: http://216.40.224.145/xtras/natmap_250k_cd1.zip
CD2:http://216.40.224.145/xtras/natmap_250k_cd2.zip
FollowupID: 5084

Reply By: Member - Sam - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Gday Adam, I also use a similar setup as Ozieplorer. Although I currently am using the previous version of the 250K Series of maps. Garmin eMap connected to what ever laptop I happen to have access to at the time running OziExplorer software.
AnswerID: 9766

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Electronic maps are great - until your laptop packs up. In the same way as you should know how to navigate with map and compass rather than rely on GPS only, I believe you should have some form of back-up to e-maps.

There are a few touring atlases and guides around in book form with good enough detail or you can buy a HEMA set or similar. Invariably, as you travel around, you'll find yourself picking up local maps, tourist info, etc.

I tend to use an old briefcase, which also holds anything related to the vehicle. Doesn't take up a lot of space and makes it easy to access information.
AnswerID: 9782

Reply By: Member - Edbee - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
Adam, No matter what way you fill in the detail, for the basics I would recommend the Hema Australia Road Atlas. Ed
AnswerID: 9985

Sponsored Links