navigation

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2626 Views:1761 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
am considering purchase of trackranger gps navigation system,has anyone tried these or something similar,are these units reliable enough to leave your paper maps at home,??? any advice appreciated,thankyou.
what gps unit should i consider ???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
Trackranger has nowhere near the features of OziExplorer. Trackranger only supply free updates for at most 12 months.
OziExplorer supplies them indefinitely. Just check out the additions and user requested features added to OziExplorer continuously. OziExplorer has a massive following all over the world, and is used from hobbyists to professionals to almost sure all the fire fighting units in Australia. OziExplorer is also a wholly written and Australian owned program.
www.oziexplorer.com

Is avaialable here on the ExplorOz shop in a bundle with the Natmap CD and some other goodies at an excellent price.

Electronic navigation is as reliable as the electronic equipment. I use an eMap with my iPaq with OziExplorerCE, as the iPaq can be seen in bright daylight/sunlight which is always in a car. I take it in my 4WD, motorcycle, aeroplane and car.

Just had a look at Trackrangers website as it is a while since I have been there:
QUOTE:
Existing registered users can upgrade to TrackRanger 3, including the updated documentation, help file and manuals for only the cost of postage and handling ($25).
END:
All these 'added' features in Trackranger have been in OziExplorer since the beginning. I know of others that have bought Trackranger, but got really peeved at not being able to swap features with other users, and lack of features and slowness and bought OziExplorer.
You can join the OziExplorer list server here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L
AnswerID: 9809

Follow Up By: Rockhopping - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Brian,
How silly you are by not buying the OziExplorer software. I suppose you're also using a dinosaur GPS 12- and the handheld UHF comms is Digitalk....and you haven't got the iPaq computer?? Next you're gonna tell me you ain't got an Evakool frdge..and you don't use BP Solar panels. What a loser. And WHAT..you don't drive a Triton 4wd..and inflate the tyres with anything but a Grunter..and you haven't got the Amsoil bypass filters fitted.

Mate...I'd hang my head in shame!!
FollowupID: 5119

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Forget your medication RockH??
FollowupID: 5122

Follow Up By: Lilly - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

rockhopping the oziexplorer is right what he say about software. i buy the trackranger as i new user and not know the oziexplorer and then later have to buy the oziexplorer due to trouble and lack of you say features. i come here for a long time without post but now when somebody come with reply to give good knowledge experience to the question you no like
FollowupID: 5123

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Never leave paper maps at home. I have mine in a Aussie Post Postal Tube that takes up no room.. They are also all laminated... Worth it from melbourne Map Center $5ea.

We went out with a mate as trip leader, his GPS died half way around our loop around Walhalla, luckily I had our paper maps with us to get us out of there.

GPS are good, but not the end of it all...

If your getting a Magellan get it from USA, LOTS cheaper and you can change the basemaps to Australia free.. Save $400au on a $1000au unit. Magellan Meridian Platinum less than $600au landed here from USA, or $1000au to buy here...

Your call...
AnswerID: 9825

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00
Good Luck if you choose OziExplorer Brian. Have a look at the OziExplorer bugs listing at http://216.40.224.145/eng/history.html

I think you only get what you pay for.

By the way, TrackRanger is a 100% Australian developed product, (Oziexplorer seems to indicate that only their product is).

Anyway, how could you expect a response made by the competition to be balanced.

I'll stick with TrackRanger...

Steve

PS Any experienced navigator would keep paper maps as a backup, what if your batteries go flat! Carry your paper maps with you, just in case.

AnswerID: 10014

Sponsored Links