tyres for split rims

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2633 Views:2750 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
What would be the best size tyre and brand for a split rim to go on a landcruiser ute. We are planning a trip through the simpson desert then onto the kimberleys for 6 weeks.

cheers Duncan.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Janset - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Duncan.

I don't think it is quite that easy, as the saying goes, "different strokes for different blokes"

One thing that I am pleased to see is that you are staying with the skinny rims. On a trip like you propose you will find that they are much easier to repair and easier to find replacements for for should you be unlucky enough to blow all your spares. Also, because they have a smaller footprint you lessen the chance of staking as you have less vulnerable rubber on the ground.

The only thing that I think can be given in advice is to go for a tyre that has the thickest walls as that is where I think most of the tyre problems eventuate.

As for tread patterns, in sand, the least aggressive the better, in mud and rocky terrain go for more aggressive patterns.

I hate to say it but I have found that the best all round tyre, (and there is not such animal) would possibly be an All Terrain, remember, what you buy you will be stuck with after the trip is over.

Dunlop Super Grippers I think fit the bill for what you want, having said that, I would not buy them again, not because they are no good, on the contrary, but they are over priced and when used on the black top for extended periods, they tend to have a very strange wear characteristic. Wheel alignments, balance and tyre pressure changes do not seem to help. The only thing I found was to rotate the tyres very frequently so that I could get the even wear.

I have heard very good reports about the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains and I am considering them for my next set.

Confusing aye?

Regards
AnswerID: 9842

Follow Up By: Extreme1 - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Janset
At the moment I have a set of alloys with 285/75r16 BFG MUDS, and have a set of split rims sitting in the shed. I would prefer to run spilts because 1. They are smaller
2. My spare atm is a split rim and fits neatly under
the tray.
3. We plan on travelling a fair distance over the 6
weeks and I would prefer a smaller quieter tyre
than the BFG mud.
I was looking at the Dunlop road gripper and the BFG all terrain but not sure on the size to suit the rims?
FollowupID: 5127

Follow Up By: Janset - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Hi there.

The standard sized for the 16 inch split rim is 750 X 16. I am told that you can go up one more size safely in that sized rim, but then if you do, you are again in an area of "can I readily get that sized tyre in the bush?'
The difference I am told in width is about 1 inch, I suppose one could live with that in a pinch if need be.

Split rims really are the only way to go if you are going to do any real desert work, just make sure you have at least 4 tubes and a good tyre repair/puncture kit so that you can not only mend a puncture but also a tyre if need be. Mag wheels are a definate NO NO!

Mags damage readily, (remember you will be up and down with tyre pressures as the terrain changes, you may even be called on to run with tyres so flat that you are almost on the rims - not often I hope) and break up if attacked with a tyre lever. They are usually fitted with tubless tyres, great if you don't want to have to take them off the rim or plan on not getting a severe sidewall or staking damage.

Like I said The Dunlop Super Road Grippers or what ever they call them now is a tyre that I have a love hate relationship with. Again, there is no such thing as an all round tyre.

Here I speculate. I suppose if I lived in the bush permenantly and most of my work was off road then I would have to choose a Polyester or rag tyre because of the wall thicknesses available. But I tell you honestly, they are not much chop on the blacktop.

Regards
FollowupID: 5134

Reply By: diamond - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

why not try a set of 235/85/16 cooper st or at
AnswerID: 9850

Reply By: rodeoowner - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

I reckon the best tyre size for that rim is 238-85-16. They are fairly common too.
AnswerID: 9852

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

I think Coopers has a 8 ply tire not well advertised, could be worth lookin into....
AnswerID: 9858

Reply By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Try Goodyear Wrangler TG in 750R16, 8 ply. Understand they have stopped making 12 ply in this case. We use them on 2 Tojo 79 series utes in sand, blacksoil, ironstone gravel and moderate amounts of bitumen. Got 50K kms out of the first set, but have never achievd that since. maybe G'year knew it was our first! Have deep tread, and fairly straight walls for a radial. It's all your choice. Regards...
AnswerID: 9865

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
Main problem with splits these days is trying to get good tubes for them. The Korean ones don't seem to cut it and you end up with damaged tyres from split seams and heat fatigue. Make sure any stickers are removed from the inside of the tyre.

I'd go for a "ten ply" 235/85 tyre. They have a load rating of 118-120. Look at the Bridgestone "661" and Kellys as well.

My opinion re splits is that I'd steer away from them as I've seen too many go flat from tube fatigue on desert trips. Tubeless tyres run at low pressures (low 20's) seem to do well these days, and a repairing a split rim is still a lot of sweat.

Phil G
AnswerID: 10035

Sponsored Links