Nissan Patrol Motors

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2638 Views:1816 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am currently looking to buy a new Nissan GU Patrol Cab Chassis, I have a 1990 GQ 4.2 Diesel Patrol with a Dynamic Turbo System(DTS) with an intercooler, which i had fitted to tow a 1.5 Tonne Camper Trailer To Cape York for that a bit of extra get up and go.
I was wondering if the 4.2 turbodiesel motor on the GU is any different to the GQ and if so, How?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
its the same good ol' motor.. But keep your Turbo and IC for the new one, the OEM nissan one doesnt produce the same power output..

And if you dont want to keep the IC, I'll have it!
AnswerID: 9855

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
Your right there Truckster, I have a Safari Turbo with IC on a DX GU and it out pulls a 4.2 GU Turbo (OEM). Sure makes for one nice vehicle to drive.
FollowupID: 5148

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Chris, not all cheese sandwiches are the same cheese. The GU factory turbo engine is different to the GQ in it's basic set-up, not with standing the GQ never being turbocharged. The GU has markedly larger gudgeon pin diameters and therefore, small end "bearing" area is greater than the GQ. This is to further ensure the engine will live well on a diet of forced induction. A measure of longevity, you might say, built into the engine. Now, the factory turbo is very conservatively tuned, with modest boost levels and fuel settings. However, with a knowledable dyno-tuner, who knows his stuff, can markedly improve upon the little Garrett blower on the GU. It is quite capable of supplying boost around the 14psi mark, but you would not want to go that high. Set up correctly, the factory turbo will develop more low down torque than the bigger after-market turbo's, that are better in the top end of the rev range.
Chow.
AnswerID: 9878

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Desert,
Fully agree.
I recently did a whole lot of research on this with the aim to add an intercooler to the factory turbo.
The factory turbo is set to 12 PSI and max it will produce is around the 15 PSI.
The difference is that it can produce max boost at a low 1000 rpm.
will
FollowupID: 5153

Reply By: desert - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00
Will, how far did you get with the intercooler research? Currently,I am doing much the same thing. Experimenting with up-grades and fuel settings etc and when that is satisfactory would like to add the I/C when funds become available.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 9999

Sponsored Links