80 Series Lancruiser Headlight Conversion

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2650 Views:8402 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My 1991 80 Series Landcruiser diesel (sealed beam) headlights are pathetic. I am considering fitting a conversion that allows me to have headlights with globes (plus 50% strength) which I think be much better, and allow easier and less expensive replacement in the bush. Has anyone has any prior experience in doing so, what they fitted and the results. My headlights/highbeam as so bad I even wonder why Toyota fitted them in the first place. My trusty maglite gives a stronger beam than the Landcruiser lights on high beam.
Thanks in advance.
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LkPatrol - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
Jack,

I did this conversion myself on my GQ Patrol not too long ago. It's dead simple. I used a pair of Narva 71/2 inch round headlights from Autobarn, cost about $115 for their "conversion kit" (basically just two headlights and globes) It was pretty easy, just removed the original sealed beam units, and the replacements plugged straight in, allowing used of standard H4 globes.
I found this to be a HUGE improvement, even without upgrading the wiring (using 90/55w globes) Later on I plugged in the Piranha Super Loom (about $230) and switched to 130/90w globes, and the result was outstanding....the only thing I'd do differently is maybe go for slightly better quality lights- Autobarn stock Hella "conversion kits" which I think are about $175..maybe less. To be honest, even the Super Loom may have been unneccessary....the biggest improvement was just the headlights and globes, about 150% better than standard...ran these for about three months no dramas...instead of switching to max power gobes like 130/90 you can get great results using the newer 'high efficiency" ultra white 55w globes...much cheaper as you won't need the wiring upgrade, and probably pretty close in performance....Less than $200 all up.
Let me know how you go,

Cheers, Les
AnswerID: 9901

Reply By: ray91 - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

The headlights from an old sigma 80--84 also fit and have globes you can change. you should be able to get these from just about anywhere for a few dollars.Ray
AnswerID: 9903

Reply By: Slicksta - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Jack,

this is what you need, along with a change of lights [sealed beam to Halogen] to IPF conversions, you will be amazed at the difference.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/5015/80wiring.html

slicksta
AnswerID: 9912

Reply By: Jack - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Whew!! You guys are quick .... and also very helpful. Many thanks for all this info .. it has helped a lot ... now I may be able to see where I am going after dark .... as well as making a better choice than I probably would have without this.
Again, many thanks, greatly appreciated.
Jack
AnswerID: 9920

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Jack, Before you fit any high wattage globes, make sure you fit an ARB or Piranha wiring loom. If you don't you will stuff up your high beam circuit, and they are EXPENSIVE. Learnt by experience. Hella or IPF inserts work well, and can handle the higher w'tage globes. Suggest you buy good quality globes too, the el cheapo's don't last long enough. We'll "see" you later...
FollowupID: 5167

Follow Up By: Janset - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
Hi there.

I agree with Bob Y. You should really think of upgrading your loom first as the Toyota circuit is not the best. The upgrade alone will give you a boost in headlight power.

I have had 2 Troopies, both with headlight upgrades. The headlight inserts on the first were Hella and now I have IPF. Knowing what I know now, of the two, in my opinion, Hella is the better of the 2.

Regards
FollowupID: 5196

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
I used Hella inserts and got H4 all weather bulbs (lots of rain in my part of the world, hence the choice of bulb). I made my own harness using heavy cable and two hella relays.

The best bit is if you break a lense in the middle of nowhere you can always get a sealed beam until you get back to the big smoke.
AnswerID: 10134

Follow Up By: Jack - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Nigel:
Thanks for that. It seems from the excellent responses I got to this that the wiring is the problem more than the headlights. Appreciate it. Merry Christmas.
Jack
FollowupID: 5306

Sponsored Links