Patrol Sub Fuel Tank

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2662 Views:1789 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am very new owner to my very new 3.0 Di Patrol. I have a few questions which you good folk may be able to help with.

1. What is the best way to use the sub / main fuel tank arrangement in general day to day situations?
2. What is the lastest comments on the current Bridgestone A/T tyres fitted. They look OK but I know how shallow looks can be.
3. How critiacl is the source to diesel fuel. Should I stick to Shell/ BP regardless of price?
4. How do I cope with the barbs and hurtful comments from envious Toyota L/C owners?

Looking forward to you comments.

Gazza O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
Gazza, maaate.
Got yourself a good fourby there, answers are as follows.

1. Run the main tank just below half , then switch on the sub tank. Ours takes about 10 mins to completely transfer.

2. The bridgestone A/ts on our patrol have done 24000k fairly quickly. Lots of bitumen, sand, rocks and mud. Run at about 34psi on bitumen, drop pressure accordingly for the offroad stuff. ROTATEthem every 10,000k religiously.Our tyre guy reckons we should get about 90,000k out of them.

3.We use Caltex, Shell and B.P diesel, just make sure that you look after your filters.

4. This one is easy, just put a Toyoata Recovery sticker on the patrol, male sure that you've got good recovery gear with you as you will use it often to pull Toyota's out of bog's. And as you finish your good deed, just let them know (subtily) that they should have bought a real 4x4. HAHAHA

rick

AnswerID: 9986

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00
you mean like

?? :D
FollowupID: 5221

Reply By: Member - Mal - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Truckster,
You would have that on the front of your nissan, wouldn't you? Even a buggered toyota would pull a nissan out!!! Ho Ho Ho.

Have a great Christmas and a 4x4 New Year.
Mal T.
AnswerID: 10001

Reply By: Andrew O - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Gazza ... congratulations on an excellent vehicle choice.
1. I personally transfer at about 1/4 full. I find the sub alot slower to fill and the servo I go to most has a fast flow nozzle, which doesn't sit in the sub tank filler hole, so I avoid using it.
2. Use BFG AT's myself ... done 35K about 40% worn, but been through some rough country.
3. To me vital - I only use the majors. The cheapies are a frequent source of diesel fungus, which screws your tank, fuel lines, filter, and injectors, and is a PITA to get fixed
4. Its strange how they feel the need to justify spending $10K more for an inferior vehicle isn't it??
Cheers
Andrew O
AnswerID: 10010

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00
1) Gazza just make sure you run fuel through it. Don't leave it full and don't leave it empty. If you do, condensation occurs and bugs grow and get into your main tank when you do decide to use it and to put fuel back into the main tank. If I can I always fill up both and drain the aux when the main is about a quarter. On a long trip when you know your going to have to top up somewhere before the tanks are dry, try to transfer the aux and then fill it before topping up the main.

2) Tyres are a subjective thing. You will read and hear good and bad about all of them No further comment.

3) The Patrol 3.0 tid requires fuel with a cetane index of 50. The Australian standard is 45. I use Shell purely because I've done some research and found that the cetane index of Shell diesel is 49+. fuels of other major manufacturers may be the equal. I decided to use Shell because because you can find a depot or service station just about anywhere and my Patrol seems to run better when I use it. Don't use the cheapies, its a false economy anyway, you will be down in performance and economy if you do and I have ben told that they do not contain the necessary lubricants found in the better fuels.

4) Just tell them they paid $60,000 for a badge and $5000 for the vehicle. Also ask 100 Series owners when they last had their front diff serviced. Thats not to say Patrols are not without their foibles. You got a deal on wheels, Toyota owners get a meal on wheels.

Happy Patroling
AnswerID: 10272

Reply By: Gazza O - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00
I don't know if this is the right way to respond to the replies to my questions - however; thanks to all of you. It has helped me a lot. I am more than impressed with this forum and the quality of its contributors. Keep up the good work.

Gazza O
AnswerID: 10317

Sponsored Links