Best 4x4 for the farm and for towing vehicles and animals.

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2669 Views:2679 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can you recommend a diesel 4x4 which would be available in Europe as an all rounder on a farm and for towing vehicles and animals. I want something with a bit of stability.
I'm replacing an old (newer style) diesel Range Rover which was a good stable tower, although the BMW 2.5 diesel never felt as if it had power, there was no change in performance when towing.
It has too much electronic stuff inside that has a habit of packing up and I hear that if the electronic key fob battery goes and you are in the vehicle with the windows up you cannot get out (marvellous!).
Now it is a pig to start and the strange suspension keeps dropping down at the back.. I don't like this suspension at all, you cannot even change a wheel normally.
Also, just to make it more complicated, you guys seem to like big engines (like 4 litres). I want to get a balance of fuel economy and suitability for the task.
Thanks people
JJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
The Mitsubishi Pajero - called the Shogun in Europe.

The Nissan Patrol with the 3lt turbo engine is also a good vehicle. Not sure if they are available there, cannot remember seeing any. Are they available?

I don't think you can buy the equivelent 4+ litre engines in Nissan and Toyota we can here Europe.

This company is even putting the engines in RR they are so good.
http://www.stanton4x4.com/
AnswerID: 10032

Follow Up By: Jj - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Hello OziExplorer
I know the shoguns.. I have not looked at the newer ones.. good idea.
We do get the Nissan Patrols but I don't know which engines are available to us. I will look into it.
I think you are right on the 4litre engines.
I will check out the 'stanton' website
Thanks
JJ
FollowupID: 5302

Reply By: Hedonist - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
JJ,
More details on your intended use will help narrow your choices.
Where are you?
Why does it have to be diesel?
How heavy are the loads you tow?
What are the vehicle choices available?
What sort of terrain will you be covering?
How much do you want to spend?
Pete.
AnswerID: 10042

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
Nothing further JJ? :o Oh well......Beam me up Scotty! ;)
FollowupID: 5270

I've beamed down again Hedonist. Quick galactic visit to get a perspective on things. Been away from the computer for a few days I'm afraid.

Pete,
I'm based in the UK.
Want Diesel mainly for economy (and we have tax free farm diesel... which of course I don't use on the road). To get good pulling torque from a petrol, it has to be a biggy and that is going to cost too much in fuel.
The heaviest load is going to be one of those mini-digger things, I think these are heavier than the cars I tow. Other than this, a couple of largish horses.
We can get Landcruisers, Range Rovers, Discoveries, 110's, Nissan Patrols, Isuzu Troopers... I'm thinking.. There are more.. Toyota Hilux, Jeep's, Ford Explorers, Suzukis (good for towing a chicken)... There must be more and if we don't get it via dealers, we seem to import a lot of other stuff.
It will do a lot of road work towing and not. It has to also serve as a farm car (clay ground, which is damn slimy in the winter.. Very wet here... but mostly on fairly decent mud tracks)
Maximum of around 35,000 Pounds.
Thanks for the response
JJ

FollowupID: 5301

Reply By: Redjack - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
The Holden Jackaroo is available in Europe as the Vauxhall Monteray/ Isuzu Trooper. They run the same 3.0 litre 118kW/333NM engine as here. Tow's well, 2500kg. Very popular with farmers as a reliable workhorse. Available in several different trim levels in both 3 and 5 door bodies.
AnswerID: 10088

Hi Redjack
A mate of mine was looking at the Trooper as a good workhorse. It will be worth a look.
Too much choice is the problem (Or maybe it's me being indecisive)
Thanks
JJ
FollowupID: 5303

Sponsored Links