Push to Ban Bull bars is on again!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 267 Views:3765 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The push to ban bull bars in city areas is on again as witnessed recently by a segment on Chanel 9 "Today Show"
They showed graphic vision of a crash test dummy being struck by a vehicle fitted with a bull bar.
They then invited viewers to vote "should bull bars be banned in city areas?'
The "suprise results" of the vote was 34% yes 66% no. The internet poll was even more overwhelming with 13%yes 87%no.
Yet there is still a huge push for them to be banned. Bob Carr (NSW premier) came out in defence of bull bars in the bush but was silent on their use in city areas.
The argument was not well researched - do they expect us to carry a spare bumper bar in our vehicle and swap over when entering built-up areas?? Very impractical.
Channel 9's story was very one sided in that they failed to show the effects of the same crash test dummy being struck by a vehicle WITHOUT a bar.
I've seen the results of pedestrians who have been hit by vehciles withous bull bars and the results are not pretty.

The bottom line is that bull bars do save lives & property - Bar or no bar, pedestrians and cars don't mix - end of story.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Callaghan - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00
I forgot to add my question.
What are your views and how can we prevent the minority views from being forced on us??
AnswerID: 603

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00

A bloke at work has a sticker on his ute, "Ban stupid pedestrians, not bullbars".
Another bloke wrote into the SMH the other day saying, "Cars pay to be on the roads, pedestrians do not, pedestrians can use the footpath, cars can not........"
I think the pedestrian council does this to justify their existance.
AnswerID: 604

Follow Up By: Steven Rosenstrauss - Monday, Jun 18, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 18, 2001 at 00:00
When I bought my first car, I joined the motoring organisation. When I bought my first 4WD, I joined a 4WD Club affiliated with the RFWDCA. I've been a pedestrian for 38 years and have never seen anything from the Pedestrian Council.

Just who do they represent??
FollowupID: 182

Reply By: Trev - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00

After life with bullbars I'm trying life without one on the latest mobile. So far I have decided not to drive at night, the driving lights are mounted as standard, I can't find a place for the aerial and I have had to cheat and build a mini-bar below the bumper so I can mount a grass seed screen. In between hissy fits about the inconvenience I keep telling myself I've saved money and extra weight. I think I would prefer the bar!

Trev
AnswerID: 606

Reply By: Dion - Thursday, Jun 07, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 07, 2001 at 00:00
Just to see how slimy the Pedestarian Council are, view some of the letters to the editor of 4x4 Australia, from early this year. One reply was also put in from a Mr. Scruby from the PCA. His comments were very insulting and defamatory. I also know this first hand from sending a letter to the PCA myself, and the reply from Mr. Scruby was insulting and defamatory. Bullbars do have there place in the city as well, but I disagree with rocket launchers fitted to them for the fishing rods.
AnswerID: 611

Reply By: Graham - Friday, Jun 08, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 08, 2001 at 00:00
It seems that when the current affairs type programmes run out of stories,they peddle out this old favorite to fill up the time slot, come to think of it, it has been awhile since I have seen that story about filming dole cheats with hidden cameras;]
AnswerID: 614

Reply By: Darryn - Monday, Jun 11, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 11, 2001 at 00:00
Mark if you want to see what it is like to have minority views pushed on you by the media and vote catching pollies try being a firearm owner.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 620

Sponsored Links