nissan pathfinder piranha battery system

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2677 Views:3153 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi gang,
Has anyone with a v6 pathy had a piranah duel battery system fitted? Did you fit it youtself and was there any instructions in the kit? Was the kit complete/
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00
Anything Piranha is disgustingly overpriced. If you can make a battery tray, or buy one, you can get the rest of the components for a fraction of the Piranha, which are virtually the identical parts.

Is there actually space in the Pathfinder to fit a second battery under the hood?

You could always fit it in the back in a plastic box vented to the outside. Saves cluttering the engine bay any further.
AnswerID: 10052

Follow Up By: Indentelect - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thank you Oziexplorer, I will keep that in mind. There is room for a second 8 inch battery using a dual battery tray. I am currently running a dry fit soneshein battery in the back on the engel which lasts all day. The charging is the problem and not having every thing in the one convenient location.
FollowupID: 5257

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Dec 21, 2002 at 01:00

Indentelect.
Sounds like all you need is a relay and some wire. If you connect the relay so that terminal on the back of the alternator is connected to you second battery when the ignition is on you will be away. Eric.
AnswerID: 10062

Reply By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
indentelect, Have a piranha system fitted to 80 series, it wasn't expensive when you don't know there are cheaper but indentical units on market. Anyway, got it at cost. Fitted it myself, and had no dramas, there were suitable directions included, with ample cable to do the job under the bonnet. There is only 3 cables to hook up, one to each battery, and the 3rd to ign source. Oh yeah, might be an earth there too? Only got the cable, "black box" kit as had a genuine 2nd bat/carrier fitted. Has been working well over the past 2 years.

Try whitworths.com.au for battery tray, boxes, prices vary from $16.95 up to $89.90 for a sealed case with all bells & whistles, which would suit fitting in rear of your vehicle. Regards...

AnswerID: 10077

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

I have a piranha system for my GQ sittin right behind my bum here!

Price, couldnt be happier, I got the full house set with the on dash thing that you can switch from which battery you want charged etc..

installation instructions are included, and Im a MORON when it comes to auto elects, but this couldnt be simpler I dont think!

Go with it, I dont think you could complain.

if unsure try Rotronics in Qld, they will answer ALL your questions on the phone, and send you a CD with all their stuff on it for you to look at..

But I still went Piranha as that was the only battery tray that would fit with my turbo, so went with the whole thing.
AnswerID: 10080

Follow Up By: Indentelect - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Truckster,
I have emailed Piranha for info. I will take your advice on board and also contact rotronics, as the extra info won,t be lost.
Have a happy Xmas
FollowupID: 5281

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Yea Rotronics are excellent to talk to I was on to them for around 40 mins...
He answered everything....

I have heard of a few problems with installation of the system even by a Auto Sparky, but that could just be bad luck, although it was 2 complete systems.. different times too.

Good luck
FollowupID: 5282

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster, Got one of Piranha's battery monitors too, keep it off most of time, but good to check before starting, and during the day. Matches the turbo timer on other side of steering column. Happy Christmas...
FollowupID: 5291

Reply By: Nordave - Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00
I saw in a post somewere that Piranha were made by rotronics and rebadged. Does anybody know if this is true.
Also have a look at rotronics web site it has a great explanation of electronic systems.
AnswerID: 10159

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
Piranha is made by GSL in Sydney. They have a website too. Apparently they are cheaper if you are in the know. GSL are a wholesaler/anufacturer so theyn won't sell direct to the public. I rang GSL and they gave me the phone number of a dealer in Tassie who would sell me a unit. The dealer was in fact a mining company who use a lot of them . They gave me a price, but it was about the same as the piranha unit.

I had a Piranha 150S unit in my Kombi van which I paid $150 for. I thought that I would buy another for my 4by, but when I priced them they were $250 for the same unit. That's marketing, I think Grrrrrrrr. So was peed off and bought a Rotronics unit.
FollowupID: 5325

Sponsored Links