waeco portable power

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2678 Views:3318 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently prchased a waeco "outback" portable power pack and fitted the recommended battery wiring set. But last night I went to hook up my engel fridge - with its standard cig lighter plug, and it doesnt fit into the power packs "hella outlets.
I must be missing something here (and feeling stupid) can anyone help with some advice. As in do I need to fir some sort of adapter, am I doing it wrong. I think the setup should be:
1. Power pack to car via cig lighter plug (into fitted outlet) and connected by screw-on plug on side of power pack
2. fridge to power pack via the hella plugs.

my fallback is to go direct from fridge to car outlet, but bypassing the powerpack will be a waste of money, and less flexible.

thank you
peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt M - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
Hiya Peter
I have a Waeco Industrial power pack and although I dont have the additional power supply wired into the car, I use the supplied lead to rechage the pack from the cig lighter. Not ideal due to the small amount of current the cig lighter can supply but serves for now!
The smaller plugs the supply uses dont match the ARB fridge directly, but there usualy is two chioces on the power pack, either the conventional supply plugs (cig) and the heavier but smaller looking ones that waeco use!
If the problem is now trying to plug the pack into the charging outlet and the cord doesnt match then you can purchase from an electrical supplier/automotive/marine chandlery shop the other lead end to keep it all heavy waeco plugs! Just crop the cig lighter end off and wire on the new one and you should be sweet!
Hope it helped!

Matt.
AnswerID: 10065

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Peter those plugs are now pretty standard world wide.Check firstly your Engel does not have an adaptor on the end of the current plug that pulls off and fits that 16mm accessory plug. Most quality equipment today comes with those type of plugs. They fit the cigarette lighter and the 16mm standard round power accessory plug. You can get these in many brands, from Hella, Narva, Britax, etc. etc.

If your Engel is not fitted with one of these dual plugs, suggest you go to Supercheap or one of the like and change the plug on the end of the Engel to do both.
AnswerID: 10067

Reply By: indentelect - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

The engel fridge I have comes with a standard lead which plugs into the cigarette lighter. THIS IS AN ADAPTER PLUG> simply hold the black tipped end of the cig plug and unscrew the knurled black section. The unit then pulls apart revealing a two flat pin arrangement which should fit any quality power pack made for fridges. Hope this is the simple solution you require.
Regards
AnswerID: 10069

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

indectelect, Thanks for the post, always wondered why the Engel plug was so long, now am up to speed. Happy Christmas..
FollowupID: 5274

Reply By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Peter, The plugs Ozi mentioned are also called MERIT Plugs, with similar plugs made by the other reputable firms. The interchangable plug by HELLA, which will plug into Merit or cig lighter, is part # 4951. They are available at Repco too, when they have them in stock! We changed the plug on our fridge to suit the merit socket, but also carry a standard lighter plug lead, for use in other vehicles.

There are other Hella 2-pin plugs/sockets available, think they may be marine fittings, or at least outdoor types. Have seen them set up on bullbar and rear bar, so as to power camp lights etc. They are a polarised unit too, Plug p/n 2742 & socket p/n 2741. Regards...
AnswerID: 10076

Reply By: paul - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

5c opinion plus gst worth. i think if you really are concerned about 12vplugs go the clipsal 24v 2 pin plug set up. Widely available and unlike cancer killer set ups do not depend upon a single contact point which upon the onset of terrible corriguations inevitably at some stage of cold beer's life ends in warm beer. The clipsal system is a sliding pin mechanism like our 240v plugs, constant reliable current draw, no loss of voltage.

cheers
AnswerID: 10090

Reply By: peterK - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks everyone for your responses, its not fixed yet, but I have something to work with now. For indentelect, ta, I pulled off the cigar plaug, and yep there was two flat pins but - wait for it - the plastis collar around the cable and plug stops the pins reaching the contacts!!!!
Again thanks everyone, and I hope you all enjoy a merry xmas
peter
AnswerID: 10094

Reply By: rodeoowner - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
I use the 2 pin type like paul. I think they are designed for 24V use. These will not fall out like a cigarette lighter plug. I made up a couple of adaptors to go from cig to 2 pin and vice versa as well.
AnswerID: 10118

Sponsored Links