Sorry guys!Tyres Again!!!!

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2679 Views:1959 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hey David,John and everyone else involved in the Great Tyre Debate.
After reading the follow ups posted 16december,I have now come to the conclusion that Tyres and Tyre pressure really are a personal choice,and like perfume,stick to the brand you like!
I have extensively researched most of the bigger brands,all all have had there share of problems!Most recently Bridgestone,but I have been assured the problems with the side wall has been rectified.I made my choice of Coopers because they offered the best warranty.60,000klms.They also have a very good reputation as long as you have records regarding regular balancing etc.The tyres also must be rotated every5,000klms.These very strict conditions are the reason I am so desperate to run them at the right pressure.I am going to take John's advice and run them at 34psi,40 in the rear when loaded.
John,I will email you direct,to further discuss this issue
Merry Christmas to you all
Prado
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
hiya prado i bought a set of 31/10.5/15 cooper st about 6 mths ago.i live in bendigo and apparently in rural areas they do not actually offer a waranty as such.but the guys where i bought the tyres told me and i have been dealing with then for years that theres no reason you wont get the same miles in the bush as you will in the city and if there was a problem cooper would come to the party anyway.i did a service on my gq yesterday and the tyres have done just on 30000ks with out a rotation till yesterday morning slackness on my behalf as the tyre company where i bought them told me to come in every 10000ks and they will do a FREE tyre balance and rotation for the life of the tyres.the way i see it its a way for some tyre companys to get you in and charge for rotatioin and balance every 5000ks.when they balanced them sat morning they barely needed any extra weights on them wich was good .try going to coopers web site www.coopertires.com.au and contact them and see what they say about country/city waranties and will it be invalid if you dont do it every 5000ks i think there pretty good.
AnswerID: 10068

Follow Up By: Prado - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Hey Diamond,
Thanks for the reply!I will email Coopers direct and see what they say about the warranty.My dealer is the one who insists he will not validate the warranty without the paperwork proving regular balancing and rotation.A very good point you make about the tyre companies getting you in for more than is actually needed.What pressure are you running in the tyres?I will let you know what Coopers say regarding proof required.

Have a great Christmas

Regards Prado
FollowupID: 5271

Follow Up By: Diamond - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

hiya again prado i run 38psi in the front and 40psi in the rear when we go away i pump them all to 50psi might sound a little high to some people but have no trouble with tyres wearing in the middle at all and dosnt seem to much of a harder ride
FollowupID: 5283

Reply By: bruce.h - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

G day guys
just a quickie when i first started 4wding coopers & road track majors were the joke of the industry due to the fact that they were so damed hard they road terrible,& were so niosie you could hardly hear your self think so to see hear so many people now sing their praises is supprising
are they ruff & noisie ???
AnswerID: 10070

Hey Bruce H,
I was told the same thing about Coopers being rough and noisey on the road.I had previously run Grandtrecks and was prepared for a much more noisey ride.Surprise,Surprise,they were much smoother on the road with a major difference in cornering.They also were no more noisey than the Grand Trecks!!Coopers were actually $3.00 cheaper each than the Grand trecks and as far as I can tell are a far better Tyre.

Merry Christmas

Prado
FollowupID: 5272

Reply By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

I've only had my Cooper ST's on my GQ for a couple of months now but they are a little more noisier than the BFG AT's I used prior. I got 105,000kms on my BFG's and was extremely happy with that mileage, however the reports filtering out on the new ka/km versions were less than flattering and having heard a few good reports in my 4wd club on Cooper ST's I have decided to give them a try.
So far, so good, they have balanced up very well which the BFG's never seemed to get quite right. My tyres seem to prefer lower pressures than the BFG's 34psi vs 38-40psi. I will use higher pressure when fully loaded next week.
As I said they are slightly noisier but the tread pattern is much more aggressive than the BFG, probably being halfway between an A/T and a M/T
All in all I'm very happy with my choice of Coopers.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 10072

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for the feedback on your Coopers.I have also had very good feedback.I lowered the psi from 40 to 34 today,went for a drive,and already I think I"m closer to the right pressure.Did'nt feel as rocky!!.Coopers also suggested around 34psi for road driving higher in the rear when fully loaded.I must get back to my dealer with an official complaint!!When I checked the pressure after fitting the five new tyres,The spare was actually flat,front at 40psi and the rear 45psi!. I was totally bleep off!This is the company that said they would only validate the warranty if the tyres were not damaged due to improper inflation levels Hmmmm

Have a great Christmas

Regards Prado i
FollowupID: 5273

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Also remember everyones Tire Pressure Guage says something different... unless they have been calibrated recently!
FollowupID: 5279

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Problem with Coopers Warranty is it costs you as much as a new set of tires to keep them under warranty..

Worth it??? Not really sold on it personally.
AnswerID: 10075

Follow Up By: Awill4x4 - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Truckster, personally I didn't even buy them with the warranty in mind. If you buy any other brand of tyre then your not going to get a warranty anyway, so I bought them in the same frame of mind as I would buy any other brand.
You and I well know the discussions we had prior to my buying them and in the end I simply wanted something a bit more aggressive but without having to go to a purpose mud terrain.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 5287

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Yea I know that.

You washed it yet??

You working this week might drop in and bull bleep ....
FollowupID: 5288

Follow Up By: Prado - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Hey Truckster.

Trust you to come up with that point!!! Did'nt think about the cost involved until now!As usual you are correct!

Have also had my new towbar stolen!!Is this a common problem .I guess the pin makes it a bit too easyto remove!Any solution other than removing it when not in use!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Regards Prado
FollowupID: 5292

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Have also had my new towbar stolen!!Is this a common problem .I guess the pin makes it a bit too easyto remove!Any solution other than removing it when not in use!!

You mean the tounge section? Yes it is regularly done as are the R clips and pins that hold the tounge in... Know of at least half dozen that have gone :(

I lost 3 pins so far, I mean they only have to pull the R clip and its theirs!
FollowupID: 5294

Follow Up By: Bruce.H - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
Hay guys
a small padlock placed thruogh the pin sends them off looking for an easer target
FollowupID: 5311

Follow Up By: Viking - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:02

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:02
I think I saw a lock for a reese-type towbar on Marlowes' website. Used in place of the pin and R-clip. Check it out.
FollowupID: 5766

Reply By: Bob - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Prado, I've had two Prados and have always used the original tyres - Grandtreks. I run them at the pressure on the vehicle plate (I think Toyota know what's best for their vehicles) I lowered the pressure to 22psi to cross the Simpson Desert and 25 for roads such as the Oodnadatta track. I have had 110,000km from both sets of tyres and have never had a puncture. I do a lot of off road travel and tow a van on made roads. I hope this is helpful to you.
AnswerID: 10085

Reply By: Prado - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the info.The Grand trecks on the vehicle were very worn in the middle when I purchased the vehicle.After having the tyres looked at by 3 dealers I was advised to try a different Brand.I now realise the excessive wear was due to wrong inflation levels.The change also lowered the vehicle height by 5cm,which was actually quite noticable at first!The Prado was owned by the Cowra Bowling club,so it probably was'nt a issue with them!!I could'nt believe our luck,as it only had 40,000klms on it

merry Christmas
Regards Prado
AnswerID: 10096

Reply By: diamond - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

hiya prado/truckster regarding stolen tow bars remove r clip drill the hole out a little and fit as padlock
AnswerID: 10123

Follow Up By: Prado - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
Hey Diamond,
Thanks for the tip.A friend is comming over today with drill in hand!!!I have realised since buying the Prado that nothing is safe unless bolted on or down!I have also bought a trailer lock,worth every bit of the $80.oo I paid for it.A friend of mine recently returned to their Camping ground (Caravan Park) to find their new off road trailer had vanished!! Since moving one block from the city,the mentality of some people has really amazed me

Merry Christmas
Regards Prado.
FollowupID: 5307

Reply By: sean - Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
Few months back put a set of new Bridgestone Duellers on a MQ and sent it all over the NT's dirt roads. Approx 15,000 ks in 12 weeks. Result is that they faired much better than previous set of Duellers and better than BFG,s - All run over the same roads. The tyres had minimal wear and no chips.

I believe that the cooper warranty does not apply to use in remote area - so in my opinion is BS. Any tyre can get high milage on the bitumen.

The MQ with the new tyres wore our previous set (duellers) in 30,000ks of almost all dirt use.

BFG,s (in my experience) dont wear on the dirt, they chip away - and on one trip - in 5,000 ks of dirt - I lost of alot of rubber from chip/chip/chip/chip/chip - (did I say chipchipchip).

I think the new duellers are worth a look. Anyone else got any reports.

Sean
AnswerID: 10173

Follow Up By: Tim Nivo - Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00
I agree Sean. In sept/oct did canning, buchanan hwy, barkly stock route and diamantina np on updated, aussie made dueller 693 (265/75/16 LT). Not one puncture! Did lower pressures where required. No chipping or obvious wear. I'm very impressed as I thought about changing brands when the original jap made 693 wore out in only 45000km, and seemed to chip quite badly. Tim Nivo.
FollowupID: 5355

Sponsored Links