Hilux gearbox and oil leak

Submitted: Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2687 Views:10026 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Seasons greetings to all. Feel like I know a lot of you from all the posts. Love the bantering/ripostes that go on over the various queries. It's my turn to call on the collective brainpower re my '99 Hilux. 3 litre diesel. Like a previous thread I have a little difficulty selecting reverse when the engine is cold. It tends to grate a bit. The car has 120K on it. It has been serviced every 5,000 by the local Toyota dealer. Also I've just noticed a small oil spot on the drive under it. It seems to be coming from the vicinity of a rear main seal. Any ideas on if this is common thing on these? Are there any other quirks, etc. that I can expect? Apart from here, does anyone know of a group or list specific to the Hilux? I've surfed around but haven't really spied anything.
I hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas and that there is something in your stocking to make your next trip more of a pleasure.
Regards,
Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goodsy - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Wayne
Got a 2.8L hilux, basically the same engine/gearbox. Did a front main oil seal at 100000km's. Got it replaced with timing belt. 160000km's now no problems. Get the oil leak looked into newer jap cars should not leak oil. Landrovers are good at it not Toyota's. Reverse can be a bit tight. Just clutch it and try again usually goes straight in. Would not worry about reverse but would worry about oil leak as it will only get worse.
AnswerID: 10136

Follow Up By: Wayne - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Goodsy thanks for the advice. Will investigate the rear main seal. I don't think that there is anywhere else for the oil to leak from. How long is a clutch pack good for? ....... if i'm plucking the motor for a seal maybe should look in there too?
Ciao,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 5337

Reply By: Tuco69 - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
Wayne, your oil leak is a mechanical problem that will need attention. However the gear selection problem , especially when the gear oil is cold will be vastly improved if you change it to Mobil SHC 75W-90. This is a full synthetic gear oil and is suitable for the G/box, T/case and both diffs on a Hilux. You will notice an immediate improvement in the smoothness and quickness in gear selection - especially when cold. This grade is NOT suitable for limited slip differentials - your local distributor or the Mobil Australia site online, will have listed the appropriate grade for LSD's.

Other manufacturers may also have full synthetic gear oils, and any brand will suit your purpose. My preference for Mobil is essentially because of national availability.

Tuco
AnswerID: 10137

Follow Up By: Wayne - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Tuco, sorry so long replying to you and Goodsy but you know how it goes. With the oil thing, I have a LSD in rear and the front is an independent front suspension. The oils reccommended are different for each end. Toyota tell me, engine - CRF Multigrade, Rear diff - LSX 90,Front diff - 80/90, Gearbox - 75/80, Transfer - 80/90. These are all Castrol oils. Would you use The Mobil SHC 75/90 in all except for the Limited slip rear then? Thanks for any suggestions,
Regards,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 5338

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Wayne, when you mentioned notchyness and difficulty shifting gears - synthetic gear is is the answer to overcome the problem. All of our local GMH, Ford and Toyota dealerships will change a customers vehicle to synthetic if any shifting problem is complained about. I also have a Hilux with IFS and 3.0 (1KZ-TE) turbo diesel. I have put Mobil SHC 75W/90 in both diffs G/box and T/case, and the difference in shifting (especially cold) is amazing. Mine doesn't have a rear LSD.

Your obvious preference for Castrol product is noted and the relevant Castrol full synthetic for your front diff, manual G/box, and T/case is Castrol Syntrax 75W/90.

Quote from the Castrol Australia site:
" Full synthetic manual transmission, transaxle and rear axle lubricant with outstanding extreme pressure, synchroniser and high temperature performance. Recommended for vehicles that combine gearbox and hypoid differentials, rear axles of light cars and secondary drive axles (front and rear) of 4WD vehicles. SAE 75W/90, API GL5. "

For your rear LSD the spec in full synthetic for LSD's is:
Castrol SAF-XA

" Full synthetic rear axle fluid incorporating Castrol's most advanced transmission fluid technology. Engineered to provide protection at the extremes of high and low operating temperatures, it is our prime recommendation for rear axles used in competition, severe duty and long drain applications. Suitable for both limited and non-limited slip rear axles. SAE 75W/140, API GL6."
This is too heavy for your other 3 applications though. Rear LSD only.

Like I previously mentioned - any brand of full synthetic will do the job of improving your shifting (especially cold) - but I find that the Mobil products are much more widely available around Australia. Even here in a reasonable sized city like Cairns - the Castrol specialty products are only available from the distributor, while run of the mill Castrol is available even from K-Mart, Big W, Supacheap etc.

Tuco
FollowupID: 5339

Reply By: Wayne - Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for your comprehensive reply Tuco. The oil details were supplied to me by the dealers service department. I don't have any preference but your advice on availability etc. makes sense. I'll try changing the oil and see how it goes/sounds.
Have a happy New Year,
Wayne.
AnswerID: 10239

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00
You're welcome Wayne, if you do decide to go with Mobil SHC 75W/90 - you will use most of a 4 litre container just for the G/box and T/case on a Hilux. As your problem is the shifting in the G/box - then leave both diffs as they are, until you need to change them at service time. Obviously you wont 'feel' any difference by changing diff or T/case oil - like you do after changing the G/box.
FollowupID: 5347

Sponsored Links