Western Explorer Road

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2709 Views:2063 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day,searching for input from anyone who has travelled the road recently...Conflicting reports make me wonder sometimes??????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
Mick, Planning on going there next March and spoke to the ranger at Arthur River the other day. He said no problems at all, except if you use the track from the coast to Balfour, only suitable for bigger 4wd's. If you want to camp in the reserve, you have to be 500 metres from the road and crs not allowed. Give the ranger a ring, good information from him on tracks etc and other places to camp etc. Haven't got the number with me at the moment, but if you can find it, ask me here and I will find it for you. What sort of conflicting reports have you been getting? Interested seeing we are heading that way. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 10197

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Mick
The Western Explorer Road is good gravel and is not a problem The Balfour Track is interesting, but is quite marshy in spot, I would attempt it on my own, as long as there is another vehicle with you you will enjoy it
RAY
AnswerID: 10201

Reply By: rodeoowner - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

The actual Western Explorer road can be done in a 2wd, it's just rough!
AnswerID: 10204

Reply By: royce - Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00
Your talking about the 'road to nowhere' in Tassie? My daughter and I had just finished taking our travelling science show to the schools in Smithton a few years ago. Our next bookings were at Strahan, Queenstown and Roseberry. We saw a sign 'Strahan' and headed off down the road.... it turned to gravel...... then MOONSCAPE. I loved it, but it is really pretty desolote. This was the first time that I appreciated how much 'outback' there is in Tassie. You stop and look across low windswept, lightly covered hills and think 'perhaps no human has ever stepped on some of those'. Actually you also think 'why would they?'. It is interesting and impressive. Easy gravel road though. No 4WD needed. That was about 6 years ago. I have taken that route again and enjoyed it. It is often cold and wind swept. I think they built it for tourists, but few are interested. There are no other uses for this road other than sight seeing. I don't think any industry needs it and there are easier ways of getting down the West Coast of Tassie. Do it! Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 10235

Sponsored Links