100 series suspension upgrade

Submitted: Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2718 Views:2229 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has any body done a suspension upgrade on an independent suspension TD 100 series. (Brand new update)
If so what did you fit and how did it go. Other than fitting the shocks to the front how do you increase the front ride hight? I’m a bit apprehensive as the ride and handling is so good stock standard I don’t want to stuff that up. But saying that I will be towing a camper and loading up a roof rack etc so will need to upgrade for off roadwork. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
Nordave. A friend of mine bought his TD 100 series about 12 mths back and was very disappointed with the front wheel travel (or rather lack of it). He fitted the ARB setup and only marginally improved the wheel travel. He was still getting dry-bogged so he fitted an air locker. This helped a lot but he still goes most places on only 3 wheels. Good luck.
AnswerID: 10213

Reply By: Andrew - Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 23:38

Saturday, Jan 11, 2003 at 23:38
We upgraded the suspension on our 100s TD and have been very happy. Fully loaded things were riding too low and we went to ARB and they recommended heavier springs in the back and also new shocks. The front end is lifted with torsion bar adjustment so only pay for the labour!!

We have been very happy with the improvement in the ride when fully loaded. Has been uncommon for us to bottom out where before we were hitting the bump stops all the time. Ours is a Sept 2001 build, but I imagine the recent upgrade is not to different. We have not had any problems with reduced wheel travel at the front end and I get the feeling that it is an imagined problem more than a real one. I would like to see what the magazines get in on of those ramp tests to assess wheel travel as I think the IRS is pretty good.

I am very happy with our TD but I think that Toyota know the engine is good and are making lots of dollars on the car. Why is a TD Landcruiser $10k more than a petrol where a TD is less than $2k more??

Andrew
AnswerID: 11090

Sponsored Links