how much is fair profit for dealer/manafacturer

Submitted: Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2721 Views:1718 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
unfortunately last night i lost my spare wheel from the back of my GU3 thanks to some very keen thieves - my car was parked in my driveway, had a padlock on the spare wheel and my question is how much is a fair profit margin for the dealer(s)/manafacturer???? when i ring the local dealer for a price he tells me that the standard alloy wheel is $848.00 plus the threads required to re-secure it to the car (plus the tyre $278.00 from bob jane) the alloy wheel in concern is the current ones supplied by nissan for all ST Patrols and the same size alloy is available from aftermarket suppliers at approx one third of thier price, now for the statement!! wake up nissan!, customers will not buy over priced accessories.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
So what do you do? either fess up to the $1000, or go without a spare, or try wreckers.

Failing that, try steve at www.offroad.au.com I know he had a set of rims he may seperate....

Amazing when I got 5 15 x 8 sunraysuras NEW for $50each 12 mths ago. Scrap the OEM rims, and sell em! Theres money to be made! Buy sunnys 16x7 $100ea roughly.
AnswerID: 10227

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00
Tim ... It's a rip, and the manufacturers have all been criticised by motoring organisations and so on for ages about this. My in-laws had an 84 Ford Laser and its spare wheel cover/boot floor fell apart. Replacement cost for an original? $600. A piece of masonite from BBC and 5 minutes with a jigsaw? Less than $10.

My car had the height adjusting frame under the driver's seat replaced at the last service under warranty. There was some freeplay that couldn't be removed by tightening it up. RRP for that part is $2100. It wasn't electric, just a manual type. $2100 for the whole seat, maybe. but not for the height adjuster only! Lucky it was a warranty repair, otherwise i would have been getting some aftermarket front seats instead.
AnswerID: 10237

Reply By: johnsy - Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:00
Tim sorry to hear about your plight try all the large tyre stores for trade ins on after market rims I picked up a second spare rim brand new for $100 this way ,also was quoted $80 a rim for dx also near new for a trailer so give it a go.
AnswerID: 10241

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00
Tim, they think they have you by the gonads, because they have exclusive rights to the sale of OEM gear. I believe the manufacturers are at fault and not the distributors. Prices are similar all around the world. A wheel for the LX470 is $1250 (so I didn't buy three for the trailer). A plastic dash insert for the same vehicle was over $200, for the LC100 the same insert in grey rather than fake wood is $11. A wheel for the Discovery is more than a grand. A similar alloy from an Oz manufacturer was $210. A sheet of clear plastic for the rear window of a BMW convertible is $650. W/Washer bottle for same car $110. The manufacturers get you in with competitive prices, and then rip you off for parts.
AnswerID: 10311

Sponsored Links