Which one to buy?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2750 Views:1878 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
In the next 12 months we are going to do the Explor Australia trip, we intend getting a 24ft Van, and we are thinking about buying a Pajero or Prado, which way should we go also do we go Petrol or Diesel. and which model/year do you consider is the best one.......All the best and a safe New Year to you All.Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
There is perhaps too little detail in this question.

What is your budget for this? Are you buying new or second hand?

If you are buying new then I would recomend the Pajero Diesel.

You need to find out how much the van will weigh to make sure that whatever you choose to tow it will be legal. Pay attention to the tow ball loadings.
AnswerID: 10350

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

What makes you want to buy such a monster van?

How many of you are going to use this van?

For a van that size, a minimum of a Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser with a 4.+ litre engine.
AnswerID: 10356

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

How many people? How much stuff you taking

Towing a 24ft van ? go with large engine, wouldnt go paj or prado..

Patrol, or cruiser or troopy, and either petrol or diesel will do, diesel will do it easier and lots cheaper...

Dave from Exploroz should be able to fill in some blanks, they have been around more than others here,..
AnswerID: 10358

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Quote: " they have been around more than others here,.."
Who are these 'others'?
I doubt few would have travelled as much of Aus as we have. Been on the wallaby for 32 years. Have had more caravans and vehicles than most have had birthdays.
FollowupID: 5425

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

'ouch" Don't be so sensitive oz. It's only a quote.
FollowupID: 5433

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
Ex Girlfriends parents have been going since they arrived from England in 1960-1... Your point?

Theres always someone else that has done more or been there or got the T Shirt to prove it..

Also people who have been going lots less time and have been to more places....

Have a Valium, and chill, it wasnt pointed at anyone, and remember you been proven wrong again dude...

I'll leave it at that
FollowupID: 5445

Follow Up By: Bambi - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Hey Truckster,

once again you display the ignorance of ages.........
FollowupID: 5448

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

good for you bambi..... You big man you...
FollowupID: 5455

Reply By: bruce.h - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Gday Mike
you dont say how long you are going for or what sort of roads you intend to travel,if you are sticking to bitumun you may well get along resonably well with either of the cars you mentioned( settle truckster)if you are willing to take it easy & dont push for large amount of kms per day but if you inend to tow in off road conditions i would have to agree with others that i would look to toyota land cruiser or nissan patrol, definatlty recommend that you go diesel becuase they dont make trucks diesel for no reason, it wil cope better with the strains of pull large van much better, but just remember to keep up your service schedual as you go
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 10362

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Nissan 4.2 114kW/330Nm, Nissan 3.0 116/354, Pajero 121/373, Toyota 151/430. So the Pajero lies between the Nissans and the Toyota in power/torque. The Toyo would be nice, if you had the extra $25,000 (which is how much more than the Paj it costs). Not to mention the higher running costs.
AnswerID: 10403

Reply By: tour boy - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
As a part time tour operator, I would suggest that you purchase a
toyota. I would say that most operators use toyotas and for good reason.
I work with a mate that runs patrols and they are always in for head,
body mounts, floors cracking and wheel bearing problems
The toyotas are built alot tougher. You can see this in the country areas
by the number of 1960's and 1970's vehicles still in reliable service.
The final thing is that you can get parts literally anywhere. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 10449

Follow Up By: Sean - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Tour Boy

I take it you are talking about the troopy. Its reliable and tough as nails. But as for any other Toyota, I dont think there is a valid comparison that can say it is better than other vehicles. There are a lot of MQ's still doing the round australia, and with minimal maintenance costs.

Sean Davis

FollowupID: 5586

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Mike

I tow a van (17 foot) and I come from a caravanning family. my father had vans for years as did my relos. A 24 foot van is BIG and there are serious isses to consider. You are best to get advice from a caravan forum - not a 4wd forum. Best is to talk to owners of similar rigs.

I met one couple in Timber Creek towing a 24 foot van with a new pajero. The van suited them perfectly. They were doing the 'work around' and were planning on spending years on the road. They were having no problems with vehicle/van combination but remember that there are many issues that are more critical than engine capacity when towing large vans.

There are people that have purchsed vans - even custom built ones from so called reputable caravan manufactuers - only to find that the van exceeds the vehicles safe or warranted towing capacity. The towball weight is always an issue with a van of that size so dont just dont go on the rated towing capacity (ie 3500 kg) becuase its usually the allowed tow ball weight that becomes the real problem.

The advantage with 24 foot vans is that there are some very good bargains to be had on the second hand market- cheap and late model. But it may also be difficult to resell. Alot of the second hand big vans could once be towed in some states by most vehicles. The states now have uniform laws but there are still restrictions on what can tow what. You will be surprised by the 'low' tow ball vertical weigth rating that some 4wd manufacturers have.

Most people are touring with either poptops or 18 foot full vans. Also, there are transmission issues with towing. Auto is not better and manuals are prone to blow up 5th gear after thousands of kms.

I know this is more than you asked - but pitfalls are a plenty. Start buying caravan world magazine

Sean
AnswerID: 10592

Sponsored Links