Interesting campsites

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2762 Views:2148 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
My wife & I are planing a trip mid Feb from Albury to Gold Coast.We have a 100 series td and Jayco 'off road' jayswift.
We plan on going via Alpine Way via Thredbo Jindabyne & Cooma onto
Bega and then the coast upto the Blue Mountains ,the Hunter then back to the coast at Raymond Terrace and the up the coast to the Gold Coast.
We plan on driving 2 to 400 k per day spend 1,2 or 3 nights in any one spot.We prefer National Parks but would still Like a couple on nights at formal Caravan Parks.Have done a lot of web research however there is nothing like first hand knowledge..
Thanks in anticipation Greg G
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Greg, 2 places in the Blue Mountains area, Euroka Campsite south of Glenbrook in National Park, don't know if it would be open due to fire risk. The other is Kanangra Walls, out past Jenolan Caves, the campsite is a few clicks from the walls themselves. Magic views, and regardless of one's religious beliefs, it's as close as we'll ever get to God. Roads are not too bad, except for a few corrugations. Have seen the blowies as bad there, as I've ever seen them in over 30 years in Qld & NT.

Iluka, just north of Clarence River, has some good camps near beach, it might be a bit quieter about Feb too. Get good fish & chips down near the wharves, and a counter at the pub isn't too bad, when we were there in Feb, 2002. Nice climate too. You can get a ferry from Iluka to Yamba, for sight seeing, shopping etc. Happy new year, & safe travelling...
AnswerID: 10370

Reply By: Kaz - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
Our favorite camping place is about 40klms inland from Narooma. Lots of good tracks in the area and great camping gounds. The place is called Bendethera Valley. The road into the vally is quite steep and has a couple of easy (in dry weather) river crossings. National parks in Narooma will have maps of the area and the ranger visits 2-3 times a week so they will be able to tell you about track conditions and river heights. The trip from Narooma takes about 2-3 hours, depending on track condition, with the last 5 klms taking about an hour.
AnswerID: 10394

Reply By: Nick G - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Greg,Here are a few surgestions in my area(the mid nth coast),turn of the Hwy to Tea Gardens/Hawks Nest-plenty of caravan parks-or keep going north into Myall Lakes NP.Best natural camp site is Stewart&Lloyds-its the First camp you come to after entering the NP.Its signposted but don`t drive to fast or you`ll miss it. Its on the right hand side heading nth. If you want more facilites keep going to Mungo Brush.Also a Commercial "Resort" at Myall Shores just around the lake and over the barge. From there you can do the 'Old Mining Rd' to Seal Rocks. Check out the treck notes on this web site or go to www.npws.nsw.gov.au for the maps and info on this and other NPs. Seal Rocks is a very quaint & unique village in that all the locals have joined togetherto stop all development-its like all the coastal towns used to be 50yrs ago.It has a camp ground with facilities. From there you can go back to the Lakes Way then thru Foster Nth orSouth back to the Hwy. Next nice spot is Old Bar-Council Campground just behind Beach. Or you can go to Manning Pt-2 commercial caravan parks. If you have a beach permit(avalable at the shop)you can go onto the beach from here and drive approx 17Ks Sth to the southern entrance of the Manning River.Tucked behind the Dunes and right on the River is a unique camp-Farquar. Further Nth off the Hwy from Morland is Crowdy Bay NP right on the beach there are 2 camps. Futher Nth turn right off the Hwy at Kew go thru Kendal and follow the signs to Swans Crossing.THis State Forest Campground is FREE.Its atop spot on 2 creeks with plenty of walking tracks good water avalable and pit toilets.These are a few of the sites close from the Hwy but there are many more that I could tell you about. Have a great Holiday. Nick G
AnswerID: 10461

Reply By: Lyds - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Perhaps on the way back from the Gold Coast go via Armidale.

You can go out the back of the Gold Coast and head towards Tenterfield then Armidale; or head south, turn off at Grafton on to Grafton Rd then Waterfall Way to Armidale.

From Armidale take the Thunderbolt Way through Barrington and Gloucester and come out somewhere near Raymond Terrace, basically splitting the Pacific Highway and New England Highway.

The roads are mostly two lane, but good travelling. Sensational scenery.

Sorry, but no thoughts on Camping grounds as we hotelled - forgive me :-)

Cheers,

Stuart
AnswerID: 10470

Reply By: Member - Tony - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Greg,

Have to agree with Bob's assessment of the Kanangra area. Magnificent scenery. Suggest camp at Boyd River or Dingo Dell in Kanangra-Boyd NP. In a day you can explore Limeburners Flat, Yerranderie etc, trek notes are on this site (under 'Yerranderie'). As far as I know Euroka is not closed (I live near there), but I'd suggest the former venue.

When north there is a SF near Nightcap NP (inland from Murwillumbah) where you can camp, and explore the Border Ranges and Nightcap NP and surrounds, again, magnificent country.

Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 10529

Reply By: Member - Greg - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks everyone for the replies that is certainly more food for thought
i will do some more research...thankyou Greg G
AnswerID: 10530

Sponsored Links