electric v hydraulic winch

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2773 Views:3143 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Whats the go with bullbar mounted recovery winches. Lookin at either the Warn (12v) 8000lb or Ox (hydraulic) rated at 9000lb i think. To be used on a mid sized vehicle- say dual cab. Interested to hear from users who have both positive or negative feedback on their units.
Thanks (and y'all have a great 2003)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
I haven't had a huge amount of experience with winches but have used both types in anger on quite a few occasions.

Electric winches are (in general) faster, but do get very hot. An aquaintance of mine (who knew everything) burnt out a warn 9000lb whilst dragging me up a serious hill.
"shouldn't we stop and let it cool down"
"nah, she's right, your nearly there"
etc etc.

We have used a 10000lb hydraulic to pull a GQ with two blown CVs out of an extreme track gully at "Big Boys".

We winched for over an hour, only stopping to chock the wheels and remove extension straps. The OX just pulls and pulls.

I'm in the market for a winch myself, I'm going for the hydraulic.
AnswerID: 10435

Reply By: Axel - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Having used both systems can only say that either one is easier than hand winching,, electric = easy fitting,lots of power,lots of heat hard on batteries...hydraulic = harder to fit, more power, longer usage,totally useless if your motor dies and no restart possible,,,,,,pick your own scenario,,recomendation ?? carry a trifor or a high lift jack as backup for either system,,[ dont forget extra shear pins ]
AnswerID: 10452

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

yea both have good and bad points.

in water the hydro is no good if your engine aint running

if you been winching for a while with elect the battery can go flat leaving you screwed too...

Axel said it turfor as insurance is the go, Ive used the turfor mroe than the elec on my car.
AnswerID: 10468

Reply By: Nick G - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Rockhoping,The hydraulic winches are only as good as the oil pump they are conected to. We had a guy in our club with one fited to his 60 series and it was very slow because it was only conected to the power steering pump. I`ve got a mate who`s a towie and all his winches are hydraulic. They are all off the PTO off the gearbox.Fit a good oil pump and I think you won`t beat the hydraulic. The choice probablely comes down to money as usuall. Nick G
AnswerID: 10536

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Check out the new hydraulic in Overlander year book, BTA 4 Wheel Drive in Ballina 02 66866344 e-mail, bta4wd@lis.net.au or Bamford and Smith in Melbourne are currently finishing developement on a new winch, possible to be electric, hydraulic, electric and hydraulic or twin electric, exciting possibilities if it ever goes into manufacture stage!
AnswerID: 10611

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Check out new Hydraulic winch in Overlander Year book or Bamford and Smith in Melbourne are finalising design of a new winch, possible to be electric, hydraulic, electric/hydraulic or twin electric motors, exciting possibilities if it ever goes into production.
AnswerID: 10612

Sponsored Links