allways a question

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2774 Views:1201 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Is it only my perspective or are we all a little weary of getting asked irrelevant questions by Ozi .. Ask a question and expect a reasonable answer,not asked the 3rd degree in reply, why did you buy / why so big/ ect ,ect,,,have done a quick check on replies and in the last 3days ozi has asked more q,s in his so called informed advise than is required to obtain a new passport.. ;)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
there's also the banter that goes on between you two which is quite hard to put-up with! Surely if everyone just offered their opinion (without bagging the questioners choice of equipment) all would be a lot easier. I wonder if these people were face to face if they would be so rude?
AnswerID: 10439

Follow Up By: Axel - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Andrew,the whole point of my query was to point out the utter rudenes of the constant " mine is better,your stupid," ect replies to any and all that Ozi has penchant for,,look in some of the archives,,,enen better look at some of his latest ,,now he is an expert on rust,,,his latest advise on batteries has the capabillity to kill those who follow it,,,
FollowupID: 5489

Follow Up By: Ray - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Putting the battery in a box and venting to the outside sounds like pretty good advice to me. I did that for years with a battery in the boot of a Falcon...no probs at all
FollowupID: 5500

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Hey Axel,

We all have our different styles and none of us are perfect or have the same view point. If we did it would be a boring old world don't you think. Live and let live.

Personally, I find much of what Ozi says fairly interesting even if I don't necessarily take it all on board. That's the beauty of this forum...ask a question and you'll get a variety of responses each with their own reasoning. It's up to the user to sift through the info and decide what is relevant to their situation. I think Ozi's questions demonstrate a willingness on his part to be as helpful as possible rather than being critical. (ie. understanding the situation better so he can offer better quality advice). And he has some good money saving tips too.

Anyway, if you don't like Ozi's responses don't bother reading them. Personally I find using this and other forums as a venue for slagging off other people from the relative anonymity of your keyboard far more tiring
than anything Ozi has ever posted.

Melissa
AnswerID: 10440

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

I agree with Melissa,

Get on with it or go away, seems simple enough to me. If you don't like his (or any other) posts then don't read them. If they are incorrect then please point this out in a nice helpful way.

Please do not stoop to posting new questions on critism's of peoples posts, how does this help or improve the forum and site.

David
AnswerID: 10454

Follow Up By: Axel - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

David the whole point being when any one dares so much as to disagree with Ozi his follow ups become extremely rude and full of vitorol ,, as for not reading his posts it is basicaly impossible not to he is on each and all questions asked , the F.I.G.J.A.M.
FollowupID: 5496

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Actually I quite enjoy the banter but find snide remarks a bit of a turn off.
Even if you don't agree, either read it or leave it.
This is not about who has the most,best ,biggest,fastest etc. It's about enjoying other peoples input, so as I said ,read it or leave it.
FollowupID: 5507

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
In principle I must agree with Axel, although perhaps he could have phrased his concerns somewhat more helpfully. Unfortunately, Ozi is building himself something of a reputation on this and other sites: aggressive, vitriolic, sarcastic and self-righteous.

His rantings against myriad businesses and suppliers (Toyota in particular) become somewhat tiresome after a while.

It's easy to say (Melissa and David!) that we don't have to read his postings. Problem is, when reading a thread, you never know whether he's off on one of his hobby-horses or whether he's about to share one of his absolute gems!

So my advice: Lighten up, Ozi! Your contributions are worthwhile without resorting to the slanging matches. One way of achieving that is to admit you're human and that you can be wrong - like the rest of us.
And learn the difference between debate and argument.......
AnswerID: 10475

Follow Up By: Chopper - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Cruiser 1.

You have put into words what I could not have found the words to say.

here here.
FollowupID: 5526

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Hello All, An emotive subject! While I endorse Melissa and David's comments, I feel Cruiser has put into words, the thoughts I was struggling with yesterday.

I enjoy many of the responses from Ozi, and his heart is obviously in the right place, as seen by his compassionate reply to Smed, some weeks back.

But if I want to buy a 24' van, an Engel fridge or a Piranha Dual battery gizmo, I don't need the 3rd degree from the anonymity of Ozi's keyboard. We appreciate the guidance, but in the end, it's our choice, and our money.

And most of us don't want to see a great forum, spoilt by petty personality clashes. Catch you all later... and a Happy New Year too...
AnswerID: 10489

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Thanks Guys,

This does make sense to me however I do not want to have to moderate everything and to this end it is very difficult to control. I suspose that my major worry are posts that directly attack someone such as this. I agree that Ozi may ask a lot of questions and even be agressive at some times, but if you do not like the questions he is asking then do not attempt to answer them. I suspect that he will not just go and post again at you unless you answer!

So again just let him post his tyraid of questions at you and take it upon yourself if you choose to answer them. But please do not start threads such as this - this is not a 4WD related question.

David
AnswerID: 10497

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

I totally appreciate your position as the site owner, David.
I also think it is clear that most of us would rather not see posts such as this. However, as with any community, there will be times when feathers are ruffled. We then have choices: ignore or respond. Many people will respond - some aggressively or negatively.
Others may do the same as they might do in a family or social dispute, which is to highlight/address some of the concerns in an effort to de-fuse them, without attacking the individuals involved.

In a sense this makes communities, including virtual communities such as this, self-managing and should take some of the pressure off you. Once people develop and understand a set of norms, it becomes easier.
Keep up the good work!
FollowupID: 5541

Follow Up By: Bruce.H - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
david
dont be to rash to try &stop this sort of thread as we have seen a few weeks ago with the young bloke who ended up apoligising this sort of thread can have apositive affect in controling those who deliberatly or inadvertantly step outside the exceptable guidlines we all expect of such agood site
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 5661

Sponsored Links