ExplorOz Trek Fuel

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2778 Views:2625 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Well as per our last newsletter, I am starting to write and install some really cool new site features. Some of you will be aware that I shutdown the site for 30mins today to install some new software. So what was it?

The TrekFuel Database
We have had many requests for real trek fuel usage information so I wrote a new system that allows you to enter your fuel usage and distances for each of our trek notes. The system then takes your entered data and builds the table of fuel requirements for each trek. It uses a collection of averages for each engine size and fuel type. This system is currently only linked to our trek notes and relates to the specific trek you select (similiar to TrekFeedback). You will be able to see your results in real time and the system will even calculate your Km/L and L/100Km.

So dig out your fuel books and start entering the data into the TrekFuel Database. Access is via the TrekNotes, pick the trek you wish to update and you will see the icon to update the TrekFuel.

We will also soon add the ability for you to enter your highway usage and non trek specific data however we want to get the trek notes updated first.

Hope you like it and as always any problems let me know directly at david@itbeyond.com.au or post here for the next few days.

Have Fun
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Can you set-up a dummy one so we can play and try the feature out.

Looks like a good idea and an interesting feature not offered anywhere else that I have seen.

Looks like I may have to write some Trek Notes for the North Eastern part of Victoria as there are none. Some magic and interesting country in the North East of Vic.
AnswerID: 10456

Follow Up By: Michelle Jacka - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Yes, you will find that there are no treks for areas where we have either not thoroughly travelled, or not recorded appropriately detailed data. As always, anyone is able to submit Trek Notes to us for publication on the site, however they must follow our standard format (see any major trek notes for the heading names).

All treks submitted need to be complete with trek data such as odometer readings and relevant gps points. Text to be sent unformatted, ideally in html or .txt files, otherwise Word or even email will do. Images to be sent as separate jpg images in the best resolution available (no cropping).

Simply send files via email to michelle@itbeyond.com.au
FollowupID: 5497

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Well thanks screenname Peter,

You recorded the first TrekFuel entries. Peter has lodged some data in the Anne Beadell Trek. If you are interested to see how it works then please go to this trek and select the TrekFuel button - In the Trek Specific Links area. As we only have one set of data for the Trek you cannot see the averaging system working yet but you will see how the system is designed to work. So please please dig out the fuel books and start entering this information for all our readers to share.

David
AnswerID: 10498

Reply By: Joe - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

What an excellent idea.Well done guys.

Frightening fuel needs for a 6 cyl petrol engine though!
AnswerID: 10507

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Yep, sure is. Glad I bought the new 2.8l diesel which is just coming up for first service. With my enclosed body on the back which is 1.55m high, I am getting a around 9.5km/litre.

Would be good to have the CC of the engine over and above just say 6 cyl ULP, as there is a large difference in engines.

eg: If you put down 4 cyl type ULP and you had a Suzuki 1.3 litre against a Pajero 2.8litre ULP would have far more meaning knowing what CC the engine is. Would also be good to see the make and model of vehicle.
FollowupID: 5539

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Joe, The petrol fuel needs are indeed scary, but the amount remaining is even more so. Makes good sense to take some mates with more thriftier diesels.
FollowupID: 5547

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks Ozi I have updated the TrekFuel system and have added fields for Engine CC and also comments. This should cover us. It will not be there for the data already entered but all new data will have the new fields.

Thanks for your feedback.
David
FollowupID: 5664

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

David - Great 5 star job. Many thanks.
FollowupID: 5667

Reply By: Greg - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

David congrats on a great idea. I have just put my usage for Anne Beadell but feel the figures don't tell the complete story. My vehicle was a 3.5 DOHC Pajero and an auto with a roof rack. I am sure that if I was driving a manual without the rack that my consumption would have been around 6.5kpl.

I recently drove a 3.0l manual Pajero both directions across the Simpson and achieved around 6kpl whilst a similar vehicle without a roof rack did significantly betterusing 10-20 litres less in each direction. Odometer readings can also make a big difference and I would say most vehicles have optimistic odometers unless they have fitted larger diameter wheels/tyres and then we often see the opposite effect.

What you have will do the job as long as readers realise the shortcomings. I would like to see engine size changed to litres.
AnswerID: 10531

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

OK feedback accepted however if we get enough fuel data responses than the averages will work out. It is best to err on the side of caution and this is why I shown each line showing the km/l etc this will allow poeple to make ther own judgement anyway I will think about the engine size version and work out wht this means in terms of programming. Can I build a list of engine sizes - If this is the case then it would be easier. How many sizes are there.

More feedback please and I will see what I can do.

David
FollowupID: 5549

Follow Up By: Joe - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
Greg,

I also have the DOHC Pajero, and i have always been concerned over the need for PULP. I have run it on ULP with Nulon octane booster (definitely needed to stop it pinging), but never for more than three consecutive tanks.

I assume that you have to do the same, and have you had any problems as a result?
FollowupID: 5560

Follow Up By: Greg - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
David re the engine size list I would suggest you sort the list from largest to smallest. This is a relatively easy prog. task. The other option is to arrange in groups.

Joe re the ULP. I usually run on Optimax or Ultimate (98 octane) but have found no problems with ULP except for a substantial power drop mostly noticed under very heavy load. Pinging has been at an absolute minimum in fact very rare. I have extractors and free flow exhaust.
FollowupID: 5565

Thanks Joe and Greg,
I have updated the TrekFuel system and have added fields for Engine CC and also comments. This should cover us. It will not be there for the data already entered but all new data will have the new fields.

David
FollowupID: 5665

Follow Up By: Steve & Wendy - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Greg,

We have a DOHC 3.5 l Pajero and have always used ULP. I guess we have no basis for comparision re power etc. We have had the car from new but have only noticed pinging recently.

Could you please give me more info on "Nulon octane booster" ? is this some sort of additive you pour into the tank ? Where can it be purchased. We are in Perth.

Regards,
Steve.
FollowupID: 5675

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Steve/Wendy,

I also ran my Pajero on ULP from new, but after two years it started pinging so I moved on to the PULP (as recommended for this engine) and I haven't run ULP (much) since then.

The fuel consumption improved with PULP so I have not had to pay any extra money per kilometre travelled, but it is a pain outback.

Octane booster is an additive that you can purchase from most large servos or places like Autobarn. It raises the octane level of the fuel and it is this that stops the pinging.

Pinging is actually "pre-ignition" or the burning of the fuel/air mixture before it is supposed to be burnt by the spark from the spark plug.

How does it occur? Well in high compression engines (like ours, although ours are really marginal) it can occur from the heat generated when compressing the fuel/air mixture - rather like a diesel in fact.
It can also occur when there is a build up of carbon in the combustion chamber. This not only increases the compression ratio (by removing a little free space), but also can cause pre-ignition by glowing hot itself.

WARNING - If you let an engine keep pinging it will eventually burn holes through its pistons. There may be other unwelcome results too, but the holed pistons is one that I have personally experienced.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 5680

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Just added data for the Simpson Desert.
1997 trip.
The sand was quite firm and damp so fuel consumption was good.
We followed the French Line across. Fuel figures are from Oodnadatta to Birdsville.
2 GQ Patrol 4.2 Diesels and 1 80series 4.5L Petrol. All manuals.

Perhaps David we need an extra field on the database for this kind of info.

Andrew
AnswerID: 10546

Thanks Andrew,
I have updated the TrekFuel system and have added fields for Engine CC and also comments. This should cover us. It will not be there for the data already entered but all new data will have the new fields.

David
FollowupID: 5666

Sponsored Links