Anyone got a 3B?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2789 Views:1721 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Have just finished restoring a 85 Crusier MWB BJ73 with the 3B engine. After months of work pulling the thing down to every last bolt, the last thing to do is connect the wire to the oil sender for the oil pressure. Unfortunatly I can find the wire.

If anyone had a 3B could you please give us a description of the wire heading to the feeder. One of my suspects was a bright yellow/red, but produces no change in the dial with connection to the feeder, and when earthed instantly cuts the engine. One of my mechanic friends suggested that this may actually be the wire, and earthing it is a saftey feature to kill the engine in the event of low pressure. In that case the sender or the dial must be stuffed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Trent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Trent
I don't have a 3B but it is not uncommon on a Toyota for the oil pressure switch to kill the pump and shut down the motor on low pressure.
Jim
AnswerID: 10603

Reply By: Rob G - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

G'day Trent,

I used to have a 3B & still have the factory manual. The Oil pressure sender wire is Yellow with a Black spiral. Yellow/Red is for the Fuel level sender.
They definitely have an auto cut-out upon detection of low oil pressure feature - you probably noticed that you need to use the starter twice before it'll kick in after changing the oil.
AnswerID: 10617

Reply By: Member - Trent - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Thanks Guys..

Found the Yellow Wire with the Black line (also has an occassional red stripe about every inch).

Only drama I've got now is that despite connecting it the actual guage is still not moving. Given that the engine is not cutting out, Im assuming that the sender is ok and not shorting. Do you know if there is a separate earth for the guage. All other instruments are working.

Thanks,

Trent
AnswerID: 10618

Follow Up By: Rob G - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

The only relative earth on the circuit diagram is on the other side of the SENDER to the yellow/black wire. It's marked "Sedimenter Switch (Optional)".
The other end of the GUAGE should be a Light Blue/Red wire.
FollowupID: 5598

Sponsored Links