GUNBOWER ISLAND

Submitted: Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2791 Views:4220 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HI IM GOING TO GUNBOWER ISLAND FOR AUSTRALIA DAY LONG WEEKEND AND JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS GOOD CAMP SITE ALONG THE MURRAY WITH EASY ACCESS TO THE WATER FOR ME AS WELL AS A BOAT I KNOW SANDY BAY IS A GREAT SPOT THEIR BUT IT IS ALWAYS TAKEN ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH WELCOMED
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Robert there is a new bridge which has been open now for around two years at Koondrook. They have also recently built new composting toilets on the island and improved facilities. Suggest you contact the Natural Resources and Environment Office in Cohuna who have detailed maps and will send them to you.
For those that don't know, Gunbower Island is the largest inland island in the world. It is approximately 50kms long, with the Murray River on the eastern side and Gunbower Creek on the western side. Gunbower Creek which is an anabranch. An 'anabranch' is a creek/river that has its origins and mouth in the same river. Gunbower Island is a RAMSAR site and has some wonderful birdlife in the Red Gum forests. Mosquitos in summer can be a problem.
AnswerID: 10519

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Just had a quick squint at my old Hema Road Atlas and I have a good campsite marked about two kilometres upstream from the Torumbarry Weir. As I recall it was a narrow track winding through tall trees. There were places to launch a boat along the track and good access to the boat from the embankment but not much beach. I dragged a 27ft Viscount Caravan in there with some trepidation but managed to avoid hitting anything. There were lots of camping areas. Hope this helps. Cheers, W
AnswerID: 10526

Reply By: bruce - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
If you go in at the Koondrook end..along Gunbower creek there are some very good campsites along there..was up there in May last year...it is hard to get a camp site on the Murray as the bank is pretty high...supposedly good fishing in the Gunbower ..but we could not convince the fish to get into the boat ..cheers bruce
AnswerID: 10569

Reply By: ROBERT - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
thanks for all your help and we will see how we go
AnswerID: 10648

Sponsored Links