TCIS Insurance

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2802 Views:6160 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering TCIS Insurance as my ins. renewal is due. I have been in a 4wd club for 7 months and have yet to find anyone there with any claims experience with TCIS. I am presently with N.R.M.A. and don't really want to change unless there are some good reason's. Would appreciate any info on this subject - Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Rod,

I was insured through TCIS for a number of years as their rates were OK (not the cheapest) but I believed that a tailor made insurance policy recommended by the 4WD Council was a good idea. I hoped that as more members insured through TCIS that the premiums would remain competative.
Recently I had to renew my TCIS insurance for my GU 4.8P Patrol. The premium jumped appreciably and appeared to be excessive, especially as you had to add the mandatory 4WD club membership on top.
I am now insured through Keynon Insurance Brokers with a savings of over $400 for a slightly better 4WD cover and without the requirement to be a member of a 4WD club, another possible saving.
Notwithstanding the possible extra $ saving, I will still remain a member of my 4WD club.

Hope this helps.

Happy 4 wheeling.

AnswerID: 10587

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
John, Have you the address for Kenyon Insurance Brokers please? Thanks in advance.
FollowupID: 5595

Reply By: PETER - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
check out allianze my comprehensive policy on new pajero did exceed only $450 per year and the policy is better than the land rover policy i formerly had for $200 more regards peter
AnswerID: 10589

Reply By: Sambo - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
We are with TCIS and have yet to make a claim, so I cannot answer your question in that regards. Although my advice is they may not be the cheapest insurer around my 99% of the other insurance companies will not cover you once you leave a public road. So if you are involved in any serious 4wding you would be wise to considerer changing to them as you are insured regardless of where you are. So should you be doing a deep water crossing your car is covered for recovery, repair/replacement what ever the case should be. I highly doubt NRMA, AAMI, Allianze, GIO etc would want to know about it little own discuss your predicament with you. The advantage of being able to admit to such and error and have it covered sure beats lying to your insurance company and being caught out for fraud etc and gaining a criminal record and never recieving insurance again. I hope this adds another perspective to your thoughts and helps you not worry over a couple of hundred dollars a year especially if your vehicle is worth much to you.

AnswerID: 10616

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Rod.

I also never had a claim with TCIS but there was an occasion a number of years ago where I queried their classification of 'sporting goods' covered by the 4WD policy. They were most unhelpful and after considerable toing and froing TCIS changed the policy wording because, I believe, they were wrong. Even after this I continued to insure with them for the reasons stated in my previous reply but it is now evident that the number of policy holders is inadequate to maintain a reasonable premium.

I believe that the 'Bushtrack 4WD Insurance' through Keynon appears to cover my vehicle adequately. Try for more info.

And please never submit to Sambo's nefarious thoughts about claiming.

Happy 4 wheeling.

FollowupID: 5618

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Until recently I was an insurer assessor before changing careers. What Sambo is saying is correct to a good degree and I can verify through personal experience that a majority of insurance companies will investigate a claim regardsless of what is stated on the claim form. A few will even pay out while they continue to investigate a claim they believe is possibly false. So if you have made any attempt to defraud them they will persue you in court regardless of cost (this is if they have already repaired or paid out for a written off vehicle). If the vehicle has not been repaired or paid out they will simply cancel your policy and leave you holding the baby so to speak. Once you have been caught defrauding an insurance company you can forget comprehensive insurance as 99% of companies and brokers will not look at a person who has made a fraudulent claim and been prosecuted over it. So it is always wise to consider making sure you have adequate cover that suits the uses of your vehice, otherwise you may end up paying a higher price in the long run. As someone who has worked in the industry saving yourself a few dollars can end up costing you a lot more in the long run, and believe me I have seen a few people loss it all for such a little mistake.

Cheers and a safe new year to all.

FollowupID: 5653

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Renewed mine minutes ago!

GQ insured for $22k, Accessories insured for $9000
~$60 a month

Although some items they wont insure for full value, like my suspension lift kit. and a few other things.
AnswerID: 10653

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
My 22c on this.

None of the Major companies will cover any sort of "club" activity. If your involved in this (and seeing how you are in a club I assume you do "club" activities) you are not covered by Insurance AT ALL even on public roads, and you can include Highways with that.

Further, even if you're on your own, The Majors, will cover you to a certain degree offroad. For NRMA its a marked public road. Their Definition of this though does concern me. To that, NONE of the Majors will recover your vehicle from the Bush, in the Event of an Accident. TCIS does.

Simple answer to this. If your involved in any "Club" drives etc, you really have no alternative to TCIS, also they are certainly the most comprehensive when it comes to 4bys and Mods.

At the end of the Day though, Your money, Your vehicle.
AnswerID: 10655

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
My 22c on this.
None of the Major companies will cover any sort of "club" activity.

There is one bloke down here in Melbourne, went on a club trip, as there were so many, it was cut into 3 groups, A B C....

He had a sticker C on his screen, as he was in group C...

Crashed, got it home, took it to panel beaters, then assessor came out and saw the C sticker, said you were in some sort of event, No Insurance, bye bye... he had to pay up. He told them the story and had letters and pics of the trip, but no go..
FollowupID: 5635

Reply By: bruce.h - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
gday Rod
dont know what state you are in but wa 4wd as. also has a state based
insurance scheem set upas well run through anon policy was the ariginal policy for the national councils current policy so it is sound dont know what pricing is like,but lets face it insurance companies are like winning lotto you never ever know how you are going to go till after the draw/prang
AnswerID: 10670

Follow Up By: Rod - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks for ALL your reply's to my question, i will get some quotes and weigh up the pro's and con's - Thanks again !
FollowupID: 5671

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Hi all,

I just rang Keynon Insurance Brokers to see how they compare with my current policy.

Seems they won't insure any vehicle that has been lifted by more than one inch (which discounts many of us).

Thought you'd be interested.

AnswerID: 10705

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
A standard OME coil upgrade is around 40mm lift - legal in Queensland, but obviously not to the liking of insurance companies.

I was with Suncorp Metway before I changed to TCIS. They covered club trips but no competitions - only major exception for them was 4WD parks. But main reason for changing to TCIS was accessories, as they are now rivalling the vehicle in value and "Market Value" just aint gonna replace them.

The TCIS campertrailer and camping gear cover is pretty unique too.
FollowupID: 5682

Reply By: Dingo - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 16:52

Sorry to take so long replying but have only just came across your question while looking for something else.

I had insurance cover through TCIS when my wife rolled our 4 yr old vehicle on the road to our property approx 300metres from our front gate . She swerved to miss a branch that had fallen on the road.

It took us over 12 weeks to get paid out (the car was written off).

I contacted TCIS the next day had forms sent out,filled them in with all relevent information & sent them off. Was told a couple of days latter that everything was OK (after speaking to an assesor & having vehicle assesed) and I should receive a cheque in approx. 2 weeks. 2 weeks no cheque, no call, nothing. Waited a couple more days still nothing rang TCIS who said they will find out whats happening and call back, next call was from an insurance investigator who said he had to come and talk to us about the claim.

After surviving the inquisition we were told that it should be finalised in another 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks without hearing anything I contacted TCIS again and was told that I needed a statement from my accountant advising of our GST position as the vehicle was used for business ( as we advised on both our insurance proposal and on the claim form). Got the form from accountant and sent in TCIS advised that everything is now in order and ( you guessed it ) we will receive a cheque in another 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks nothing. Usual routine rang TCIS who then said they needed a copy of rego papers.

Eventually ( after me now contacting them every second day ) we received a cheque. 12 weeks after the accident.

During this time we only had the farm vehicles for transport ie truck & ute we are a family of 6 so had to travel with unrestrained children. Being 20km from nearest town with no public transport, taxi service or car rental place (who could afford to rent an appropriate sized vehicle for 12 weeks anyway). Our children had to forego many sporting activities and social outings as we didn't want to risk travelling with unrestrained passengers.

I suppose what really annoyed me was that TCIS who receive commission from my premiums did nothing, I had to continually ring them and not once did they know what was going on with my claim. All the things that were needed were standard requirements which if asked for initially could have been provided within a week.

This accident was straight forward & on a well used gazetted local road , goodness knows what it would have been like if it was in the middle of the desert somewhere.

Needless to say our new vehicle is now insured with some else. ( Our local Elders rep who I know and can talk to face to face).
AnswerID: 11338

Follow Up By: Rod - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 00:56

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 00:56
Thanks for your reply - doesnt really fill you with confidence hearing stories like your's i must say. I am in sydney and insured with N.R.M.A.
In their policy booklet that came with their policy renewal there is a clause refering to what they will not cover, it states : We may refuse a claim if your vehicle” was being used for club events relating to a motor vehicle club, bash or charity event (unless you have told us your vehicle will be used for any of these purposes and we have agreed to cover it.)
I rang them and told them i was a member of a 4wd club and would be taking my car off road when doing club trips , was that o.k. (I'm generalising here), i was more specific with them. They replied that a large proportion of their insurance is now 4wd vehicles and that they would consider it normal for these vehicles to be operated occassionally off a formed road, and as i was in a club and had received driver training should not take unnecessary risks, they would cover the risk.
On that basis i have reinsured with them + written to them with the same info so it will be on record that i was up front with them.
See how it goes !!!!
FollowupID: 6344

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)