GU TD4.2 turbo Vs 100 series Std

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2806 Views:5217 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I am about to upgrade my GQ 4.2 diesel wagon, and cannot decide which way to go - GU 4.2 Turbo or 100 series std wagon. (both in a Diesel) about 1999 - 2000/01 models is where im looking. From research so far, GU more power and ST more bells and whistles, but the GU's are as rare as hens teeth second hand and seem to be more expensive . A few Q's for owners of either of these vehicles -

1. Fuel economy of 100 series Std wagon (NON turbo),?
2. Suspension set up - is the Std wagon IFS ?
3. May consider aftermarket turbo on 100 ser., but have heard/read it could be bad for engine long term ?
4. Servicing /parts costs ? (whilst I do all my own basic servicing, still gotta buy bits !!)

any other problems, or good points of either vehicle too help me make up my mind - Am I being realistic thinking im going to get this sort of thing for $40K ? (have been looking at govt. Auctions as well)

Will I notice much of a difference in power Between my 4.2 GQ (Std wagon, 190,000K's, good condition) and a 100 series Std wagon ?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jarrod.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonza - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Word on the street is that Nissan are realeasing a 6 cylinder direct injected GU later on in 2003. Might be worth waiting for that. In the meantime a 3.0 Nissan will work out much cheaper than the Toyo with more torque and power than the 4.2
AnswerID: 10599

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

When new, GU 4.2 TD is by far the best value of the tow and is an extremely capable and reliable vehicle. I considered options as you are doing, but new, and I ended up with Nissan 3.0 and have never regretted it. I just could not justify the extra 6 grand for the 4.2 Nissan never mind the toyota. In any event, they are all fine vehicles. Just comes down to value for money. The power and torque of the Nissan 3.0 easily outdoes the Toyota std diesel on the highway.

Sean
AnswerID: 10622

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

To start with, for modifying, IFS sucks. 100's have been blowing front diffs, not sure of the cause, but have heard of more than 5.

Nissan on their warranty suck.
Toyota on their warranty suck.

So no difference there.

Theres just been a new TD42T with intercooler released to the dealers, and once they get the emissions right it will be out in Feb. TD42 is a proven motor. Many many get 500,000 out of them.

Then there will be a few more second hand Turbo Diesel 4.2s out there forsale....

Personally, the GU is the go.. The 100 looks like a box on wheels to me...
AnswerID: 10634

Reply By: Derek - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Hi Jarrod. To answer your questions.
1) Can't comment here but recently went from Bris to Rocky and back in the company of a 4.2 turbo GU and my 1HZ got the same k's?litre.
2) The standard wagon does not have IFS.
3) The engine rebuilder I deal with reckons the 1HZ is the worst engine Toyota ever made for turbo charging, despite this there are a lot of happy turbod 1HZ owners out there.
4) Home servicing parts appear to be comparable between the 2 makes.
Some points you may want to consider based on observations I've made of these cars in my club are:-
1) The Toyotas have a greater better value.
2)The transmission hump on the Nissan is too wide leaving less leg room than the Toyota.
3) The rear doors do not open as wide as the Toyotas.
4) The Toyota 'feels' to be more solidly built.
5) In an unmodified format, the Nissans will go further off-road than the Toyota.
6) The gearing of the 4.2 Nissans appears to be more 'useable' (both off and on road) than the Toyota.
7) The 3.0 litre GU and the old 2.8 are not geared low enough for the more demanding slow off-road situations.
8) The 3.0 is a great engine now but will it stand the test of time ? All that horsepower being wrung from 4 pots.
9) The 100 series is a much heavier car than the Nissan. It is nearly 200 kilos heavier than the 80 series and I can vouch that an 80 series with a stock 1HZ is a slug.
10) The 1HZ puts out a few more kws than the Nissan engine yet the Nissan out performs it on the highway. Gearing?
As a driver trainer for my club I get to see these cars go through their paces regularly and despite being an 80 series owner I think I would be patient and keep looking for a 4.2 turbo Nissan. The 80/100 series just don't seem to cut the cheese when the going gets tough.
AnswerID: 10640

Reply By: Peter - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Jarrod,
Just bought 100 std 2 months ago, 10000km later couldnt be happier. average 11.3lt per 100 km. personal choice really, toyota owner will advise toyota, nissan owner will advise nissan. my local diesel mechanic recommends non turbo for long term reliability and ease of repair out in the sticks.
cheers
AnswerID: 10642

Reply By: chapo - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
take a ride in both, the toyota is much smoother and quieter than the rattly nissan and as for their off road ability both are more than capable of tackling most road conditions you will come across on a trip.
AnswerID: 10645

Follow Up By: Jarrod - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks to all who replied, in particular Derek for your comprehensive input. I'm now a bit wiser and more informed, but still more research to do...
Jarrod.
FollowupID: 5649

Reply By: mich - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
AH, THE 100 SERIES STD 99, I WAS THE 2ND OWNER, WITH ONLY 64000 ON THE CLOCK WITH SERVICE HISTORY
EX GOV, POLICE DEPARTMENT

WE HAVE HAD 4X4 FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS AND TRAVEL A BIT WHEN WE CAN. WE HAVE PETROL AND DESIEL.

WHAT A OVER RATED HEAP OF CRAP

GUTTLESS, NOISIEY, DRANK FUEL LIKE YOU WONT BELEIVE,
145LITRES 900KM HIGHWAY

CLUTCH SHUTTED ALL THE TIME,
TOYOTA SAID THIS IS NORMAL

SAGGY BACK END, IF YOU PUT A ESKY WITH ICE AND BEER IN THE BACK THE BUM WOULD DRAG.
WE PUT HEAVY COILS, OLD MAN EMU ALL ROUND

MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH FUEL PUMP, BLEW LOTS OF BLUE-WHITE SMOKE, THEY FIXED THAT.

THE FUEL PUMP AGAIN PLAYED UP TOYOTA SENT THE FUEL PUMP TO THERE DESIEL FUEL PUMP REPAIR BLOKE 4 TIMES IN 2 MONTHS. OH WHAT A FEELING. STILL PLAYED UP

2 WEEKS AGO THE FUEL PUMP STARTED LEAKING

WE WERE SOLD THIS HEAP OF CRAP AS THE PERFECT TOWING VECHICLE FOR OUR 2 TON VAN.
WHEN TOWING 145LITRES DOES AROUND 450KM ON THE FLAT

AND YOU DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO GET OUT OF THE WAY OR TO OVER TAKE MIND YOU THIS WAS ON THE NULLABOUR PLAINS YOU WOULD JUST SIT THERE AT ABOUT 85KM TOPS

OUR XF FORD 85 ON GAS HAD MORE PULL AND POWER.

WE JUST TRADED THIS OVERRATED HEAP OF CRAP

ON A MITSUBISHI PAJERO 2002 MANUAL GLX DI-D 3.2
WHAT A TRUCK, TOOK IF FOR A RUN THROUGHT THE HIGH COUNTRY ON THE WEEKEND 8OOKM FOR 78LITRES WITH CAMPING GEAR FOR 5 PEOPLE AND 2 ESKYS AND BEER. BUM DIDNT MOVE AND THE POWER IS UNBELEIVE ALL WE COULD SAY WHAT HILL, WAS THAT A HILL. HANDLES LIKE SHES ON RAILS.

WE LOST 10,000 ON THE TOYOTA IN 6 MONTHS

WE SPOKE TO A 4X4 REPAIR AND ASSESORIES SHOP THE OTHER DAY GETTING PRICES ON BITS AND PIECES FOR THE NM HE SAID THAT IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS HE HAS BEEN WORKING ON 100 SERIES, CLUTCHES FLYWHEELS AND GEAR BOXES ALL AROUND 120KMS

HOPE THIS HELPS

MICHELLE

AnswerID: 10703

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Mich,
being ex police i presume you purchased cheaply at auction and got what you paid for. a flogged and thrashed ex govt fleet car.
FollowupID: 5681

Reply By: mich - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

brought the vechicle at a toyota yard a big yard, and it wasnt cheap
$43,000 not cheap with no extras, but low km 64,000 on the clock service history and we spoke to the department that had the vechicle before we puchased. we weren't blind, we have had ex gov used cars, 4x4 and never had any problems before this we normally go direct to the auctions other family members also buy at gov auctions for all the cars but this is the first 100 series or toyota apart from sedans.
regrds michelle
AnswerID: 10710

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 14:08

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 14:08
if anyone has any doubts, call the car workshops in Cairns....

I heard last time a back log of 20+ GU's and around the same 100's for repairs...

So all have good and bad.

To the bloke who saved $$ at Auction, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... Mate got a twin cab lux, ex parks with a smashed passangers door, for under $15,000 off Red Book price.

Replaced the door, and made $10k on the deal!
AnswerID: 10734

Reply By: StephenF - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 15:51
Well, well, well. So much for "legendary" Japanese reliability. Should give our usual bunch of Disco bashers food for thought.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 10743

Reply By: mich - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 20:57

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 20:57
to stephen

the disco, it to is a very good 4x4 it was a toss up but the pajero won due to trade in price, i am only short and i found that i was too close to the steering wheel for comfortable driving. it too is a great truck.

i think disco and pajero desiels in the next 12 months are going to give toyota and nissan a run for they money.

the paj and disco are a better built vechicle and the finish inside and outside are first class.

take the 3.2l did pajero for a test drive then you will know what i mean
oh what a feeling!!!!

happy driving, and give each other a wave on the road.
mich
AnswerID: 10773

Sponsored Links