A Dilema what $wd to Purchase

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:30
ThreadID: 28134 Views:2989 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Peoples

I have a 2002 Patrol 3.0 litre Manual and it is time to turn it over for a new vehicle now after much searching and varying topics what do i purchase do buy another patrol which has been great apart from the clutch and flywheel drama or do i look for something differnet ie: Prado Td or Pajero Td i have not got a huge budget so what would people recomend i do a lot of camping towing our 800Kg camper we do a lot of travelling been to birdsville & innaminka etc, not so much heavy 4wdriving mainly bush tracks, what are peoples thoughts

DaveT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vitara - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:40

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:40
Hi there, David, go the prado or the pajero, I wouldn't risk a patrol in the 3litre range 4.2 yeah but don't think they have solved the problem yet with the 3 litre engine, for what your saying the type of travelling you do and the weight your towing would easily be lapped up by the pajero or the prado, either way I dont think these 2 vehicles have any major faults like the 3 litre patrol. Take care hope you make the right choice. Regards Vitara
AnswerID: 139629

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 11:26

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 11:26
'don't think they have solved the problem yet with the 3 litre engine'

And why do you say this? What are the major faults with the current 3.0l?

Leroy
FollowupID: 393319

Follow Up By: vitara - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 15:41

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 15:41
The bloke over the back from me bought a brand new one picked up 3 weeks ago, already back at nissan for turbo problems (leaking oil) and air not working, plus engine light coming on but that could have something maybe to do with the turbo. Will let you know when he gets it back went in on friday last week. Is not impressed spent over $60k fully set up , 4 inch lift, diff locks front and back (air), B/bar front/back T/bar,changed tyres over to muddies,air compresser, second batt, you name it he had it done he previous vehicle was a ford F250 prior to that was a hummer huge mother, this bloke is doing alright for himself, manshion of a house.Also there is one running around St Clair in Sydney with fluro stickers accross back window and side windows saying nissan are crap on the back and side ones dont buy a nissan and is the current model, dont know what is wrong with it but is obviously not a happy man with nissan. Not a good sign. Regards Vitara
FollowupID: 393340

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 20:24

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 20:24
Is the St Clair one a 3.0L????

A clubmate has the current 4.2 and loves it!!!!
FollowupID: 393511

Follow Up By: vitara - Friday, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:09

Friday, Nov 18, 2005 at 10:09
Yes the one in St Clair is the 3 litre, I havn't heard of any body having major drama's with the 4.2/ turbo. I have only heard a couple of probs with the 4.2 in regards to oil bypass with the turbo but that has only been a couple, nothing major. Only other thing is 5th gear but everybody knows that is a problem if you labour it in 5th when towing my mate even had the same problem with his navara heavy loads in 5th then 5th gear let go had it fixed no problems with the rest of the gearbox. Regards Vitara
FollowupID: 393611

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:59

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:59
Dave,

I would not stop looking at the two vehicles you mentioned (both have good reputations) as I think some of the new generation TD's sound OK on paper. The new Pathfinder for example would (on paper) handle what you say your requirements are. If you are after something that represents good value for money why not look at the Kia Sorrento or the Hyundai Terracan? these will also handle your suggested workload.
Eventually I would probably end up in the Mitsu yard if it were my cash being splashed around, but I would definately look at all these other options first.

Happy hunting.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 139633

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 16:38

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 16:38
I would definitely have a long hard look at a Terracan CRDI, seems to be a lot of bang for your buck, & good reviews too!
FollowupID: 393351

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 17:52

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 17:52
Get another Patrol. 4.2TDI. Probably the last chance to get another ridgid front with a bullet proof old non electronic engined vehicle.. Give those girly cars a miss!!! :)
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 139669

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 18:37

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 18:37
Have heard reports from local mechanic that lack of wheel travel in Pajero can be of concern.
AnswerID: 139676

Reply By: Robin - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 14:28

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 14:28
Always a hard decision David - I'm in the same boat with 2 vehicles
I have hung onto for longer than I would have preferred because I see
no better offerings in there class (GU 4800 & RAV4).

If your next vehicle will again be changed in 3 years then I would
be more inclined to go for a change particularly if its a company
type thing car.

If not then the Nissans are hard beat as 4wds. Personnally I have
preferred performance over the lower consumption of the 3lt although the
simplicity of the petrol over the diesel has meant little difference in
life cycle costs.
Seems yours is a manual and the only real GU change has been to significantly
upgrade the mid range torque in your model and you would appreciate this.

For my GU replacement issue I will wait until there is some indication
of wether or not new engines will come out for it next year or wether the
4800 was the end of the line for the "Nissan New Wave". On the RAV4 side
I will be getting the keys to a new Vitara to put through its paces
this weekend, its interesting car, bigger and more capable than I would
have thought. Suitable for medium trips without a lot of hard going but
throwing it up on our ramp etc will sort out for me wether or not its
any good.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 139784

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:30

Friday, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:30
if your happy with it and you can put all your accessories into your new truck saving thousands of $, why not.. But go the 4.2 instead
AnswerID: 139932

Sponsored Links