rainwater tank rebate

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2815 Views:1535 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Advertized in papers recently were rebates for those who wanted to install a rainwater tank. I suspected that I wouldn't qualify in the bush, but had a look anyway. Yep, we don't get the handout! I got a bit grumpy about this and sent a protest email to NRE. See below.... What do you think?

"So those people who have unlimited access to water through reticulation systems, paying a small amount for its supply and only suffering very minor inconvenience when asked to restrict their use, get a rebate. Those with no access to water other than catching it from rainfall do not get a rebate! Sure, social engineering may lead to some urban water users catching their own rainwater. I think that they will see this as a bonus and become used to using water with even less concern about conserving it. Perhaps the logic applies to other resources. We pump from a spring when we run out of rainwater. This ground water is lost to the catchment. Our Gippsland water is sent to Melbourne for watering gardens. I bet no reduction will be seen in its use. Rather, more of this water will now be available for other urban
dwellers to use. For a little extra... all who need to use water tanks or
concerve water might have a rebate. Thanks for the opportunity to vent my spleen. I do hope a non-urban nre person gets to read this before it is put in the bin! Cheers Royce"

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Royce, I agree with you - makes you feel like you are really getting ripped off. The Brack's Government has to repay the townies for their vote somehow, and this is a good way.
AnswerID: 10672

Reply By: Member - Paul - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Royce,

I'm ex country now living in the Sydney (Urbanized person)

.........Couldn't agree with you more !!!!!

Paul

AnswerID: 10677

Reply By: CJ - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

As a mainly urbanised country, those who live in a rural environment find it is hard to get any assistance for these basic necessities. I live in a rural residential area, only 4 ha. The only 'assistance' I have got is buying a generator tax exempt while we waited patiently for the power to be connected (which I think cost about $3000) - and tax exempt on the purchase of a petrol pump for the dam (only because it can be used as a fire fighting pump). We save water from the washing machine for the vegies, and shower with a bucket and this water is used to flush No 1's and to water the garden. Hoping for rain soon so I can wash the car!
AnswerID: 10685

Sponsored Links